Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this yet? It is supposed to be able to identify your accent by computer technology (you need a microphone to do it):

Accent Identifier - Identify your regional English accent

Now, I am a bit skeptical of it. Being a 4th generation Texan of Deep South ancestry, I was not the least surprised to see mine labeled "Southern United States."

However, my fiance did it, and it gave the same result. She was born and grew up in Colorado, joined the Navy at 18 and lived mostly in California for those four years, then in Michigan for about 11 years when married to her former husband, and then in Nevada for about 9 before moving to Texas six years ago. Point being, relatively speaking, she has not been in the state all that long and definitely doesn't have what I would call a Texas/Southern accent. However, the test identified her that way.

Now, the real kicker is -- because I was skeptical at this point -- was when I had her 17 year old son do it. His dad his the guy she was married to when in Michigan and that is where he (the son) has spent his whole life. He is just staying with us for the summer. While I can understand -- perhaps --that SHE might have developed a few "Southern" characteristics to her speech, NO way has her son. He sounds purely northern. BUT yet? Yep, it identified him as "Southern United States" as well! LOL

What I am wondering is if this "technology" just somehow is able to "trace" to where the computer is located and identify THAT way? Or perhaps, because my microphone had an "echo" it might have affected the results...?

Oh well, y'all try it. And I am really curious to see if someone from New England gets a "Southern" result. Then I will KNOW it is all bogus...or at least faulty! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 09:04 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
I call bulls--t. I think it just finds your IP address and determines it from there. For example, it said I have an Australian accent. While I do live in Australia, I'm not Australian and I do not have an Australian accent.

For example, here is a sample I made for this forum some time back and unless my accent has completely changed in the past nine months it's wrong:

‪Accent‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 AM

87 posts, read 192,613 times
got rick rolled hard

Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
I'm definitely going with the IP address theory. Access the site through a proxy server and see what happens!

(I would do it myself but the site isn't screen reader friendly.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:08 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
I guess the lesson learned here from Texasreb and Frank is that you don't have to live in a place all your life to develop the local speech patterns that can be recognized by technology.

Thats very interesting. Goes to show, despite our technologically connected world, we still have geographic differences in the way we speak that are going to disappear anytime soon.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:35 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times
I did it three times and recieved "Sorry, we couldn't fully identify your accent. We're going to take a guess of American Midland". Changed the mic because of the echo and still got the same result.... FWIW I'm sitting in the heart of New Orleans right now.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:03 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,032 times
I got the same thing as WestbankNOLA, with couldn't fully identify but we guess American Midland. That sounds pretty accurate to me. I'm located in Austin TX.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,516,494 times
boo, and I started to get excited.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Has anyone seen this yet? It is supposed to be able to identify your accent by computer technology (you need a microphone to do it):

Accent Identifier - Identify your regional English accent

Now, I am a bit skeptical of it. Being a 4th generation Texan of Deep South ancestry, I was not the least surprised to see mine labeled "Southern United States."

However, my fiance did it, and it gave the same result. She was born and grew up in Colorado, joined the Navy at 18 and lived mostly in California for those four years, then in Michigan for about 11 years when married to her former husband, and then in Nevada for about 9 before moving to Texas six years ago. Point being, relatively speaking, she has not been in the state all that long and definitely doesn't have what I would call a Texas/Southern accent. However, the test identified her that way.

Now, the real kicker is -- because I was skeptical at this point -- was when I had her 17 year old son do it. His dad his the guy she was married to when in Michigan and that is where he (the son) has spent his whole life. He is just staying with us for the summer. While I can understand -- perhaps --that SHE might have developed a few "Southern" characteristics to her speech, NO way has her son. He sounds purely northern. BUT yet? Yep, it identified him as "Southern United States" as well! LOL

What I am wondering is if this "technology" just somehow is able to "trace" to where the computer is located and identify THAT way? Or perhaps, because my microphone had an "echo" it might have affected the results...?

Oh well, y'all try it. And I am really curious to see if someone from New England gets a "Southern" result. Then I will KNOW it is all bogus...or at least faulty! LOL

Michigan speaks mostly with a upper midwestern accent as you would expect, but metro Detroit is a little different. It is possible to find southern speech characteristics in southeast Michigan. The reason for this is the large numbers of people who moved north for auto jobs in the first part of the 20th century. Even decendents of these people sometimes say things that sound southern. There are whole towns or suburbs that have these traits. In fact in metro Detroit there is a suburb called Taylor that is refered to as "taylortucky" because of these southern traits in its residents who largley moved to that area from Kentucky and other points further south. I am not saying that southern speech is common in metro Detroit, but it is possible to find it in certain places where people from the south concentrated after they moved north 50-80 years ago. If you leave the metro Detroit area and drive out into the rest of the state you will not find it at all, just the common midwestern accent that you would expect. Just a thought on how this program may have pegged a Michigan resident as having a southern accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.