U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about "home"?
I never moved and don't want to. 2 4.35%
I never moved but want to. 9 19.57%
I moved and don't regret it. 27 58.70%
I moved and regret it. 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,575,772 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how many people are happy living where they grew up. Do you feel like where you grew up is where you want to live or would you rather live somewhere else? Did you feel a need to move to be happy or what? I'm just curious about everyone's thoughts, was/is the grass greener?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 PM

44 posts, read 76,853 times
I would love to still be living in New Hampshire.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,350,373 times
Stuck in the middle rural of Ohio, but I probably won't leave until 2015 at the earliest.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:09 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,258,500 times
I moved from Long Island to SW Florida in 1993 and I do miss NY.
For me the grass was not greener.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:34 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,127,937 times
I've moved several times, and lived (happily) in my hometown of Atlanta until recently. I moved to St Simons Island last year simply because I wanted a slower pace and to be near the ocean. No regrets.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,207,063 times
I moved away from my hometown and was gone for a LONG time. Moved back a few years ago and am as happy as can be. It did take time away and seeing the Country to truly appreciate what I grew up with.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,212,099 times
I've lived my entire life in my current location, but I'm moving soon and it can't come soon enough. I honestly can't think of a single thing I like about living here. The thought of spending the rest of my life here is sickening. For all I know I may eventually grow tired of the next place I live, too, but I certainly won't move back here. I'll just try another, different place.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,575,772 times
I grew up in Oklahoma and wanted to get away. So I moved to SW FLA for a few years. It made me appreciate some things that I took for granted about Oklahoma but in no way did I regret the move. Now I'm living in Kansas. I don't plan to stay here forever but there are definately some positives to being here. I think growing up in a part of the US that's not super afluent or beautiful like SW Fla or parts of southern california was a blessing. It doesn't take much to make me happy. I appreciate all types of beauty, can deal with all types of weather and feel that I'm very down to earth.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,381,493 times
I've moved so many times over my childhood and adult life.

WA, OR, MA, NY, CT, NH, CA... I'm like the top of a soda can... haha.

I don't regret my family's move from WA to MA. I don't regret my move from MA to CA. I didn't regret my move Los Angeles to San Francisco... regretted my move from San Francisco to Seattle... moved back to San Francisco... don't regret that at all

I love Boston, but at that time in my life, I had to move here to be happy for a variety of personal reasons.
When I moved to Seattle, I was absolutely miserable... couldn't stand it. I had to move back down to San Francisco to be able to actually crack a smile and mean it again.

Everyone would tell me that you could be happy anywhere, it was what was in you that mattered. I had a few people tell me that the issues I had with Seattle were personal, and that I wouldn't be happy anywhere until I dealt with them. If that's the case, then how come I'm so much happier here? All that may be true for some people, but it was a load of crap for me. Where I am makes a big difference to me.

Now, I'm a hair away from moving back to LA for work and school. I don't think I'll regret it... but who knows?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,980,795 times
I moved for financial reasons, I was able to get a job here quick thanks to some good friends.
Good friends = no regrets
The COL is much more tolerable, and the commute to work is less stressful.
The people are more laid back. It's a state full of drinking problems, but other than that, friendly people are everywhere.

The food is blah, just average... But the FOOD you'll find all over Northern NJ is unbeatable. Your Pizza sucks St Paul!
The city likes to believe they are diverse.. Just don't try telling me that. (it's all love)

Oh, and I actually have my own backyard!! My dog is much happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or