Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I had to look that one up and yes, it's above 100. The site said a humidex over 45 was dangerous. When this kind of heat doesn't last long, it's bearable, but here in Texas, it doesn't end for so many months. Horrible. We're literally frying here with no rain. Animals and crops are dying ... so sad!! The news had a deal on the TV the other night that a steak actually was cooked on the dashboard of a car in Dallas. It took two hours, but it was cooked. Ugh!! I so can't wait until November!!
I recently flew over Texas and Oklahoma, and was shocked by how brown everything looks from the air. I've flown this route on numerous ocassions, and you generally see green grasses and lawns in eastern Texas and Oklahoma. However, this time, I saw brown all the way into almost central Arkansas before fields began looking green. It was hard to distinguish from the areas that are always brown, such as in New Mexico and far western Texas, and places much farther east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Today it was 105. The this is the 24th day in a row of temps above 100. Now it's the 4th on record and I'm sure it's gonna be the 3rd on record by tomorrow.

EDIT: Now it's 106

Last edited by Dallaz; 07-25-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
The heat is one reason why I won't live any further south than where I'm at now, unless I go up substantially higher in elevation like western North Carolina.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 PM

132 posts, read 230,537 times
I have been watching the news and seeing how people all over the country are suffering from this heat wave. But I think back and have to wonder if this is all that out of the norm? I mean it seems to me every year I hear about someplace that is having a massive heat wave. Perhaps the difference here is that this heat wave encompasses most of the country. I am so foturnate to be here in Portland, OR. We are having a very mild summer and I am thankful for that as I am due to deliver a baby in 3 weeks. I believe we have had 4 days this whole year of temps over 80 degrees. And the forcast doesn't show much change. But I can remember 2 summers ago we had temps of 105 for about a week straight and we broke all sorts of weather records, so it can get hot up here too. I pray you all stay hydrated the best you can.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Happy-Day View Post
I have been watching the news and seeing how people all over the country are suffering from this heat wave. But I think back and have to wonder if this is all that out of the norm? I mean it seems to me every year I hear about someplace that is having a massive heat wave. Perhaps the difference here is that this heat wave encompasses most of the country. I am so foturnate to be here in Portland, OR. We are having a very mild summer and I am thankful for that as I am due to deliver a baby in 3 weeks. I believe we have had 4 days this whole year of temps over 80 degrees. And the forcast doesn't show much change. But I can remember 2 summers ago we had temps of 105 for about a week straight and we broke all sorts of weather records, so it can get hot up here too. I pray you all stay hydrated the best you can.
Averages include extremes. Furthermore, the United States is large enough that if one side of the country is warmer than normal, then the other side is typically cooler than normal. That's why the eastern U.S. is baking while the western U.S. is cool and quiet for the most part.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Averages include extremes. Furthermore, the United States is large enough that if one side of the country is warmer than normal, then the other side is typically cooler than normal. That's why the eastern U.S. is baking while the western U.S. is cool and quiet for the most part.
I sure haven't found any record lows in the West at the same time we have seen all the record highs in the East.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
All due to the jet stream and the ridge over the east and trough over the west.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I sure haven't found any record lows in the West at the same time we have seen all the record highs in the East.
That's because it is summer. If it were winter, it's possible you could see record lows courtesy of a dipping trough. Cold arctic air is generally associated with a cold air mass from the arctic regions that dips down when the jet stream dips down. Since the Arctic is in summer, the air isn't as cold this time of year. Thus, you can see cooler temperatures, but they're generally not that extreme.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 AM

107 posts, read 221,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I like a nice hot day for going to the beach, tubing down the river, sitting by the pool, and all the other summer activities that I love. San Fransisco? No thanks!
If it's 70 or above, I ain't going to the beach. If it's sunny, I ain't going unless it's low 50s or less. I do like going to the beach when it's cool and overcast or just cold though.

The only exception to that is if I'm in the tropics somewhere with a dense, active coral reef, as I like snorkeling, but even then, I hate the heat and the sun.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:30 AM

107 posts, read 221,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
You're not going to see us southerners whining like little babies over the hot temperatures.
That's cool, but the reason I don't live in the south any longer in the first place is that I hate the heat. I hate it enough that I wonder why I moved to the NYC area rather than Greenland or someplace like that. I don't just complain about the weather when it's a heat wave, I hate even the upper 70s. When it's going to be, say, in the upper-80s and sunny, and the weather man says it's going to be a "beautiful day", I want to shoot him. That's a horrible day in my book. A beautiful day would be 55 and overcast.

I don't get why people who like the sun that much don't put theatrical spotlights in every room, pointed right at them. That's what it feels like to me when I go outside and it's sunny. And if you like heat that much, crank up a heater so that's it's in the 90s inside your house all the time. If I could afford it, I'd have central AC cranked up so that it's in the 50s in my house, because that's the temperature I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.