U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2006, 08:26 PM

867 posts, read 2,505,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Cities in general are pretty mean. I think there's something about the combination of asphalt, concrete, and exhaust fumes that sucks the life out of people's souls.
That does seem to be the case for most cities. One city I think that doesn't follow this rule is Anchorage, AK. Visited the city a couple of years ago (in Febuary!) and loved it there. The atmosphere was just so relaxed and calm and random strangers actually waived at you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 12:30 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,999,031 times
Thumbs up Dade!

Yup! I heard on the news one day that Miami "won" some sort of honors as the place with the rudest drivers! Gotta love it!

"I used to be disgusted...Now I'm just amused..." (Elvis Costello for those who didn't know)

As for "meanIest" ( ) cities, I would assume all big metros are scary in the bad parts...

Old 09-07-2006, 04:41 PM

15 posts, read 49,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflmmo View Post
I have to disagree in regards to LA traffic been the worst. I just came back from a visit to Southern California and that is exactly what I expected, but sadly I realized that here in Florida is the MOST AGGRESSIVE driving I've ever seen!

At least when people in LA cut in front of you they turn their signal lights On. Here in the Orlando area, they drive 90 plus miles everywhere, get so close to your rear end that you can see the driver's eyeballs on your rear view mirror, they flash lights if you don't get our of their way - even if the other lane is empty... and signal lights do not exist.. and if you get upset because you feel what they are doing endangers your live they show the finger in front of you kids!! I'm not talking about teenagers here, I'm talking about old people too... don't get me started with the older crowd that make sudden turns in front of you and can barely see...is awful! Come down to Orlando and drive around out of the tourist areas to see what I mean...

I totally agree with your view! Drivers in Southern California are much politer than those in Florida. Whether they are scared to death of being shot at or not...they are definitely very polite and it appears that more of them went to traffic school. I found driving in Fla very dangerous and at high speeds. Driving down from NYC to Miami....the stretch from the border to Dade Co. progressively got worse and worse!!! -though that's just being dangerous...when it comes to being rude and nasty....the cities of the Bos-wash area more or less are those that would finger you...give you their "blessings" or what have you without even thinking that it is they who are in the wrong! A particular finger happy point that I don't forget..the west bound on ramp from the north bound drivers of the BQE [I 278] trying to get on the toll free Brooklyn Bridge or Manhattan Bridge for that matter...right at the end of the merger lane when it starts the cloverleaf..clever fellows driving up right beside cars that are lined up and expect you to allow them in because they are going to be late for work...and if you honk..'you are fingered" in a fraction of a second. At one time a fellow got beaten there!...But lets not be so rough on the cities of this area...a true story I might add here...I had my cousin move to NYC from a small village in Greece. The girl hadn't even been to Athens. When she came here she often would go pick up her husband on 3rd Av in Manhattan which basically meant she drove the FDR. Well three or four months into her move to America...she heard a bang and she figured that her tire was flat. Luckily, she was close to an off ramp and the car was driven towards it and she rolled the vehicle down....looking around her she was in a neighborhood that she only saw in movies about gangs..suddenly, she saw these two young men walking hurriedly towards her car...when they got to the car..one of the two tapped the window ...she figured what the hell they are going to kill me anyways..what can I do now? Her life flashed before her...and she rolled the window down...not knowing how to speak English very well..she saw the one fellow who tapped on the window talk to her..and ask her something ..when he saw that she didn't understand, he basically showed her by pointing to the trunk. Hell, they are going to kill me by putting me in the trunk...she opened it...and then saw the two young men take out the spare tire..etc. and basically change her tire. She couldn't believe it....All her life she had heard of these places in the US and how dangerous they are and yet she was in one of these places at the worst possible time...and two very considerate people that most people would have otherwise looked down on for whatever reason they may possibly have ..basically "saved" her! This was the pre-cellular phone times..an era when NYC was recording 1800+ murders a year etc etc. When she came out to visit me in my gated community in Irvine CA, I thought I'd have her as my neighbor...not on my life! She didn't trade NY with any city. [I think I went the opposite way..the topic was meanest wasn't it?]

Old 11-03-2006, 01:03 AM

913 posts, read 2,456,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic mama View Post
LA California. The rudest people I've ever met...especially when it comes to driving!!!!
L.A.,CA wins... ...................

Old 11-03-2006, 01:07 AM

913 posts, read 2,456,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Cities in general are pretty mean. I think there's something about the combination of asphalt, concrete, and exhaust fumes that sucks the life out of people's souls.
Well put!! ...............

Old 11-03-2006, 04:11 AM

748 posts, read 195,630 times
Oh gosh, that would have to be either Boston or Chicago.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:42 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 3,606,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
"I have to disagree in regards to LA traffic been the worst. I just came back from a visit to Southern California and that is exactly what I expected, but sadly I realized that here in Florida is the MOST AGGRESSIVE driving I've ever seen!"

I know from my experiences that Dade County drivers made LA County drivers seem like Eagle Scouts at times.
I would have to strongly agree with you on this one! You have to be carefull with the finger in Dade/ Broward Counties. You may just get shot at for flipping the finger.

Old 11-03-2006, 04:38 PM

1,536 posts, read 142,949 times
I always though the bigger the city, the meaner it is. More people, you just don't see the same people again and again. You don't care about who you pass. In the suberbs, you pass someone on the street and you say hello, or you smile. Your almost forced to interact becuase you just don't see that many people on the streets.

There are mean and nice people everywhere, but the bigger cities always seem to have more *******s.

My meanest cities overall would be the major cities. NYC, L.A., Chicago, ect...

Old 11-03-2006, 09:58 PM

2,295 posts, read 124,010 times
Las Vegas...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.