Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
ummm....no.
I just named one. Athens, Georgia. Home of the University of Georgia. I already knew it was a liberal town like most college towns. It also has a respectable music scene as well. Now Athens population is 100,000 people exactly but there really isn't a difference between 90k and 100k sized city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 01:24 PM

19 posts, read 50,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michimaize View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knows if the following town exists:

30-90k population, in the mountains/foothills, liberal leaning, good schools, walkable, family friendly, low/moderate crime, strong local economy...preferably a college town, but not a necessity. I'm sick of having to fight through two feet of snow to get my mail!
Hi,
I am looking for a liberal southern city as well but 200,000 plus population. What have you found for your category? I, too am tired of the snow.....

Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I just named one. Athens, Georgia. Home of the University of Georgia. I already knew it was a liberal town like most college towns. It also has a respectable music scene as well. Now Athens population is 100,000 people exactly but there really isn't a difference between 90k and 100k sized city.
Plus, I believe Athens had a big population gain a while back, due to a city-county consolidation. The built up urban area, where there actually is a town, rather than city limits extending into rural or exurban territory, would be within the preferred population range.

One place I've heard about, but am not personally familiar with (so take this with a grain of salt), which might fit the bill would be Denton, TX, home of the University of North Texas, a bit north of DFW, close enough for that metro to be accessible. Partly, how well a place will fit you depends on what you mean by "liberal." From what I've heard at least, Denton would be more of a moderate kind of city, as opposed to, say, Asheville, which is more of a real out-in-left-field college town kind of place. One reservation I would have about Denton would be whether it will stay within your preferred population range as the DFW area grows. Another place to consider at least.

Last edited by ogre; 04-13-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 06:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado to Texas View Post
Hi,
I am looking for a liberal southern city as well but 200,000 plus population. What have you found for your category? I, too am tired of the snow.....
The one that comes to mind immediately is Austin. Are you talking about living right in a city this size, or in a metro area with a principal city over 200k? If a town or smaller city in a metro area would work, maybe the Triangle area, possbily Chapel Hill, or Durham (which actually is not too far below 200k in population).

Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado to Texas View Post
Hi,
If you're talking about metro area, Asheville NC would definitely fit. By Southern standards it's uber liberal.

Same would apply to Gainesville FL. Definitely a hotbed of liberalism.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I'm thinking Oak Ridge, TN would meet your requirements. It's not a college town but the people are very educated. Excellent schools.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 AM

9,520 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I feel this would be very difficult to find, especially the small liberal part.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:

30-90k population, in the mountains/foothills, liberal leaning, good schools, walkable, family friendly, low/moderate crime, strong local economy...preferably a college town, but not a necessity. I'm sick of having to fight through two feet of snow to get my mail!
Not to start an argument, but "Liberal" and "Strong Local Economy" do not belong in the same sentence unless "scares away" is between them. New industry usually avoids Liberal areas (which is why so many other Liberal areas throughout the country are have failing economies, especially in the North). Although I hate it when people retain their political standing that drove them from their former homes, that is a different issue.

College towns are notoriously Liberal (younger people = less experienced), so take your pick of any. Athens, Ga. Chapel Hill, NC, Oxford, MS. I'm tempted to add Auburn, Ala. to the list, but it hasn't quite made the blue crossover yet. All fit within your population range.

Hope I don't sound hateful with my post, and good luck with finding a town!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,025 times
Quote:

Check out Fayetteville Arkansas. Its around 70k population with around a 400K metro. In the beautiful Ozark Mountains, quite liberal, University of Arkansas is located there, family friendly, low crime, strong economy in the area, etc. Check it out! Let me know if you want more info

Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Check out Fayetteville Arkansas. Its around 70k population with around a 400K metro. In the beautiful Ozark Mountains, quite liberal, University of Arkansas is located there, family friendly, low crime, strong economy in the area, etc. Check it out! Let me know if you want more info
I was just about to say this. Fayetteville, AR is a very charming town and fits your desires. Stay in Fayetteville proper though if you want walkable, hilly, and liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.