Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Northeastern NJ (close to NYC area) 34 58.62%
Southeastern Florida (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/Palm Beach area) 24 41.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 PM

95 posts, read 196,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
NE NJ has nothing to do with nyc, its just a fuking awesome place...*** nyc...period.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 03:05 PM

650 posts, read 1,326,921 times
Quote:
NE NJ has nothing to do with nyc, its just a fuking awesome place...*** nyc...period.
How does NE Jersey have NOTHING to do with NYC? Two intertwined places with no affiliation whatsoever lol.

Southeast FL by a landslide, better climate, I prefer it's scenery, different atmosphere, etc. It's somewhere different than where I live now. NE Jersey is basically the same thing as here but slightly snowier, no thanks.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
LOL, and you're saying this living in Jersey City of all places?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
not many ppl love my home state more than me, but this is a little over the top, LOL.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
S.E. Florida by a landslide. Weather, food, greenary, scenery, beaches, close proximity to several Caribbean islands (Bahamas, Jamaica, Virgin Islands)...There's nothing that can compare in my opinion. We have the best food, best beaches, & best theme parks. One of the things I love the most about Florida is that you can chill at the beach and just relax your problems and stress away. You can spend hours on a beautiful beach reading or thinking clear with the beach waves going back and fort just relaxing and putting your mind at ease with life. When I think about the weather, I think about when all of the North was going through snowmageddon for the past 2 years, South Florida was having 80 degree weather days. In FL, you can always clearly see the blue skies and clouds and the sun shining. The plants and grass are always very green and nice thanks to the great soil. You can find a variety of tropical plants here. There is a lot of landscaping. Which I love and appreciate. And did I mention I love hurricanes? I love thunder storms and tropical storms. Seeing the clouds get dark and grey and wind blowing hard and rain pouring down while thunder continuously strikes makes you appreciate all the various kinds of weather. I grew up with it and love it. Florida is simply a beautiful state. I don't think I could ever live in New Jersey. The weather and the urban gritty lifestyle just isn't for me.

Last edited by allenk893; 07-28-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-28-2011, 12:44 PM

107 posts, read 221,076 times
Haha--funny poll. I guess a lot of people have lived in both, and I'm one of them.

For the most part I prefer NE Jersey.

There are things I miss about Southeast Florida though, the primary one being proximity to my parents and siblings, who are all still there. Since I grew up there, it still feels like "home" when I go back. I'm still more of a fan of the sports teams from SE Florida than I am of the teams near my adopted home. SE Florida has a unique and attractive look and "feel" that I like a lot, with a lot of unique places--Miami, the Keys, Palm Beach, the Everglades, etc. I also love Disney World, and I really miss being close to it. In my experience, people are also MUCH more friendly there. I'm not so fond of crowds, population density, etc. either.

However, I absolutely HATE the heat there. That's a huge factor for me.

I love hiking, and hiking in South Florida isn't the most exciting thing in the world when you can only hike there year-round. It's all flat, and there are only a couple different environments to experience.

NE Jersey has a much better climate for my tastes (although we still get hotter than I like in the summer, but it doesn't last that long). There is a ton of great hiking all over--both in Jersey and near it. It's fantastic being so close to a city like New York City, especially if you are at all into going to cultural events and institutions. Another really cool feature is that I can be in ten different states--ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, DE, MD, plus D.C. within just a few hours' drive, and there's an amazing variety of cultural, historical and natural things to experience in this area. It's also not so difficult to escape the crowds, the population density when travel around the area. I love doing day trips, weekened trips, etc., so that's a big plus. If you add just a couple more hours to the drive, you can add VA and WV to the list, and it's an easy day's drive to Ohio, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee and many parts of eastern Canada. From SE Florida, it takes the better part of a day to just get out of the state. We've got amusement parks, too--closer than they are to SFL, and probably nowhere else in the country can beat the density, variety and quality of restaurants in this area--Manhattan is a big part of that, but it's not just Manhattan or just NYC.

I've thought about moving back to SE Florida a couple times, especially now that my folks are getting up there in age--it would be nice to be able to spend more time with them, with my siblings, nieces, nephews, etc., but the few factors that I don't like about it are significant enough to me that I've balked when it came time to get more serious about the change. Before I finally moved, I was feeling trapped and frustrated there (keeping in mind that had to do with employment opportunities, too--I didn't address that above since you said to not factor it in), and I think I'd shortly start to feel like that again if I moved back.

Last edited by MontyLaSalle; 07-28-2011 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 04:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
NE NJ by a landslide. Mostly because I hate to be hot 12 months of the year and I would miss having four seasons. Plus the NE is way more beautiful and you can be in many diverse areas within a couple hour drive. In Miami, 5 hours in any directions gets you nowhere.

These places are very different. It's like asking if you'd rather live on the sun or under the ocean. It depends on what you like and what you are looking to do.
First of all it is not HOT 12 months out of the year! October through March in SE FL is paradise with mild /cool temps, low humidity & very sunny. Why do you think we call the tourists who come in the winter "snow birds"? How many places in the US can you go sun bathing & swimming in the ocean in December besides Hawaii?

Having grown up in NJ myself the summers can be just as muggy & hot as SE FL! In addition we don't get the Heatwaves recently experienced in the NE. Did you know that Miami has never recorded a daytime temp over 100 F degrees?
Also in 5 hours you would either be in Key West, Orlando, the beaches of SW FL , Jacksonville or the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Cancun or Jamaica!.
Granted NJ is my home state which I still love but Florida is in my blood!

Oh and Happy Birthday to the City of Miami! It's 115 years old today!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
S.E. Florida by a landslide. Weather, food, greenary, scenery, beaches, close proximity to several Caribbean islands (Bahamas, Jamaica, Virgin Islands)...There's nothing that can compare in my opinion. We have the best food, best beaches, & best theme parks. One of the things I love the most about Florida is that you can chill at the beach and just relax your problems and stress away. You can spend hours on a beautiful beach reading or thinking clear with the beach waves going back and fort just relaxing and putting your mind at ease with life. When I think about the weather, I think about when all of the North was going through snowmageddon for the past 2 years, South Florida was having 80 degree weather days. In FL, you can always clearly see the blue skies and clouds and the sun shining. The plants and grass are always very green and nice thanks to the great soil. You can find a variety of tropical plants here. There is a lot of landscaping. Which I love and appreciate. And did I mention I love hurricanes? I love thunder storms and tropical storms. Seeing the clouds get dark and grey and wind blowing hard and rain pouring down while thunder continuously strikes makes you appreciate all the various kinds of weather. I grew up with it and love it. Florida is simply a beautiful state. I don't think I could ever live in New Jersey. The weather and the urban gritty lifestyle just isn't for me.
That's your opinion of Florida. Thanks!
But I HATE Florida's weather from May - October with that nasty heat, extreme humidity, short-lived heavy rain, partly to mostly cloudy skies, lightnings, bugs and reptiles.

At least in NJ weather is usually mid-80s during daytime and upper 60s to low 70s at night, with at times comfortably weather, but it could also be hotter. NJ also have more sunshine, less rain and beautiful beaches.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
First of all it is not HOT 12 months out of the year! October through March in SE FL is paradise with mild /cool temps, low humidity & very sunny. Why do you think we call the tourists who come in the winter "snow birds"? How many places in the US can you go sun bathing & swimming in the ocean in December besides Hawaii?

Having grown up in NJ myself the summers can be just as muggy & hot as SE FL! In addition we don't get the Heatwaves recently experienced in the NE. Did you know that Miami has never recorded a daytime temp over 100 F degrees?
Also in 5 hours you would either be in Key West, Orlando, the beaches of SW FL , Jacksonville or the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Cancun or Jamaica!.
Granted NJ is my home state which I still love but Florida is in my blood!

Oh and Happy Birthday to the City of Miami! It's 115 years old today!
New Jersey's normal summer high temp. are in mid-80s (In FL, low-mid 90s) and lows of upper 60s to low 70s (In FL, mid-upper 70s & sometimes low 80s). Humidity is much higher in FL than NJ. It also rains more than double in FL than in NJ during summer, and skies tends to be more sunnier in NJ than FL.

Yes, NJ has heat waves. But in NJ - it's called heat wave when it's 90 F or above for 3 days in row.... which it is in Florida all summer long!
That would mean Florida has always heat waves.

5 hours from NJ, you could visit many different large cities and states, even Canada!
Unlike in FL, where you're still stuck in same state driving half day long.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:09 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
I prefer Jersey because of the 4 season climate and , in general, it appears more socially progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.