Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:58 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times

Advertisements

Places that I would like to go to include the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Key West and New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 03:01 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
I feel very fortunate to have been able to visit all 50 states and 7 provinces along with many US national parks (one of my favorite places to explore). There are a still quite a few places I have never been, however, that are on my list to hopefully visit one day. Some of them are listed below.

As far as cities go:
1. Memphis - I'd really like to explore Beale Street, eat some Memphis ribs and just explore the architecture.
2. Minneapolis - I've heard the lakes in town are just beautiful and in summer, it's great place to live your life outdoors. I'd like to see this for myself, plus check out neighboring St. Paul.

As far as states and provinces go:
1. Newfoundland - We love rugged coasts and pounding surf. One of our best trips ever was two weeks in Nova Scotia and we return to Acadia National Park on the Maine coast every fall. Newfoundland just beckons.
2. The Big Island of Hawaii - We were surprised earlier this year to discover just how beautiful Maui is. Should we make it that far again, our destination is the Big Island. I would like to see all the nature and the active volcano spilling lava into the sea.

As far as national parks go:
1. Glacier National Park - It's remote and difficult to get to, but the pictures look spectacular.
2. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (see Big Island above).

Old 08-31-2014, 03:33 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
I'd like to spend the rest of my life walking Alaska on foot .
I have lived in the mountains many years and love all the seasons and adverse weather and long nights .
There are times I would strike out in the middle of a storm and go hiking, I felt so at home .
I love being close to wild life and learning their nature and discovering their secrets of survival.
Favorite movie " never cry wolf."
I love wolf song, and the raw and real struggle for life.
I love to dive as well and observe sea life and the curiosity of fish when your in the water with them.
I find that when animals know that you are not a threat, they become curious and sometimes friendly.
Learning to read body language and the way they communicate and such is so cool.
I'm not a biologist or botanist ,or even naturalist, I collect books on the subjects but I just love the wild .

Old 08-31-2014, 03:52 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

As far as states and provinces go:
1. Newfoundland - We love rugged coasts and pounding surf. One of our best trips ever was two weeks in Nova Scotia and we return to Acadia National Park on the Maine coast every fall. Newfoundland just beckons.
2. The Big Island of Hawaii - We were surprised earlier this year to discover just how beautiful Maui is. Should we make it that far again, our destination is the Big Island. I would like to see all the nature and the active volcano spilling lava into the sea.
If you like rocky shores and pounding surf, you will surely love the Big Island my friend! In contrast to the grey granite found on the Maine Coast, you'll find black lava rock ledges and cliffs (you probably saw that in Maui I'm sure, but the Big Island has it in abundance). Also as most of the Big Island's shores are rocky and sandy beaches are few, among them are black sand beaches and gorgeous Hapuna Beach which is a stunning stretch powder white sand bookended by lava rock ledges. It's among the very best beaches in the Hawaiian Islands for sure. When I was on the Big Island I had lunch at a vanilla bean plantation, went horseback riding trotting past waterfalls, ziplining through tropical forests, an experienced some of the best snorkeling imaginable. I love, love, LOVE the Big Island! Definitely add it to your bucket list.

I got the big rocky island of Newfoundland on my bucket list too, along with a pub crawl in St. John's.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-31-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times

Old 08-31-2014, 04:53 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Some places that I've never bee (or been only briefly or when I was very young) and have always fascinated me are - in no particular order -

1. Northern California - in particular Marin County and more specifically, Monterrey.

2. Salt Lake City Utah - It looks like a beautiful city and a visit to Temple Square is on my bucket list. The pioneer aspect of SLC and the surrounding mountains attract me. Also, while I'm not LDS, there are many LDS people in SLC. Most seem exceptionally nice and interested in showing their city to others.

3. Texas. All of it. I have been there twice (Austin 20 years ago on business, and and San Padre Island with my parents eons ago) It's culturally very different from the Northeast, New England ad the Midwest. That interests me.
Also, second to California, I have more unmet Facebook friends from Texas than from any other state.

4. Michigan's Northern Peninsula - it just looks beautiful! Those "Pure Michigan" commercials are sheer genius!

5. Nova Scotia - I've never been there and it looks very beautiful and very much like the British Isles. A must see for me.

6. New Orleans - I've only been to Baton Rouge. Also ages ago. NOLA seems like another country within the US.

7. Toronto because I want to. My days of watching "The Kids in the Hall" have had their effect.

8. Memphis - "Home of Elvis and the Ancient Greeks".

9. Nashville - Music City, Sun Records. No more to say.

10. Ashvillle NC - it sounds like a slice of heaven.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
If you like rocky shores and pounding surf, you will surely love the Big Island my friend! In contrast to the grey granite found on the Maine Coast, you'll find black lava rock ledges and cliffs (you probably saw that in Maui I'm sure, but the Big Island has it in abundance). Also as most of the Big Island's shores are rocky and sandy beaches are few, among them are black sand beaches and gorgeous Hapuna Beach which is a stunning stretch powder white sand bookended by lava rock ledges. It's among the very best beaches in the Hawaiian Islands for sure. When I was on the Big Island I had lunch at a vanilla bean plantation, went horseback riding trotting past waterfalls, ziplining through tropical forests, an experienced some of the best snorkeling imaginable. I love, love, LOVE the Big Island! Definitely add it to your bucket list.
OK - This^^^ along with your pix almost had me booking a flight right now.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Excluding in places in CO, in no particular order, I want to explore/ day hike or trek in the following places:
-The forests and northern coast of Kauai, HI;
-Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, CA;
-State Parks of Oregon's southern coast between Bandon and Brookings;
-Olympic National Park, WA;
-North Cascades National Park, WA;
-National Parks of Southern UT...Zion, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, and Arches;
-Yellowstone National Park, WY;
-Badlands National Park, SD;
-Banff & Yoho National Parks, Alberta;
-Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland.
Bonus: White Sands National Monument, NM

Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Good, positive thread! Thanks, OP!

The furthest north I've been is Pittsburgh. My husband and I are planning a trip to New England, starting in Boston, next year. I have ancestors who played prominent roles in both sides of the Salem witch trials so I can't wait to see that area too. Then we're going to drive up the coast of New England till we run out of United States! So I am very excited about that.

I would also love to see the North West - Montana probably - in the summer time.

And a bit further down my list, but definitely in my top three is the Great Lakes.

We have such a beautiful, amazing country. I could spend the rest of my life traveling it and never see all the sights.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
Still haven't gone to New Orleans, and I would also really love to just kick it all around New Mexico.

I used to have a hankering to check out the desert scene in the Southwest, like Joshua Tree NP or the Moab, but I find myself not very interested in that as of late.

Last edited by Jesse44; 09-01-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.