Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:10 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times

Advertisements

Hey all I had a seprate thread but I dont think anyone is replying

I've narrowed down my search to what cities i'd like to focus on living near.

My list is down to.

Denver, CO
Phoenix, AZ
Charlotte, NC
Dallas, TX
Charleston, SC area

I dont want heat that would keep me indoors that would be unbearable to put up with that it would just be too HOT. also looking for a very cosmopolitan and safe city with a strong economy, clean etc (you get the picture lol)
Good restaurants, nice bars, not run down etc.

I've heard Denver is tops on that but is it very cold in winter?

Heard Dallas is too humid and can be uncomfortable.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 05:10 PM

168 posts, read 772,604 times
From my limited knowledge, yes, Dallas is hot and humid in the summer and yes, Denver is very cold in the winter. You should check with their US post sites for more info, I've only visited them.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:04 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Weather wise Denver may come closest to replicating Glasgow. It will be both hotter and colder but you may not find it unduly so. Colorado is a beautiful state with many charming mountain communities if that your choice, although colder as elevation increases. Denver, the Mile High city, is relatively low at roughly 5,000 feet.

Personally I'm not crazy about cities but have driven through Denver on occasion. My understanding is that certain downtown neighborhoods are quite vibrant with the club and restaurant scenes you desire. Also, relatively safe as major US cities go, this depending on neighborhood. If you haven't, it would certainly be worth an exploratory visit.

You might find Phoenix too hot in the summer, possibly nice enough the rest of the year. While Denver resides on the edge of the mountains Phoenix is decidedly in the low desert. I've driven through a time or two and basically avoid it, but that's only me. There is probably a higher incidence of crime than Denver but again so much depends on neighborhood. Some of the suburbs can be quite nice and expensive. Probably a fair amount to do in various locals.

Since you're thinking of Dallas I'd also like to suggest Austin, Texas. By all accounts it is a very vibrant place, not only the state capitol but also a college town. Lots of night life. It is also located on the edge of the low lying but scenic Texas hill country. You might like Dallas but if so probably Austin more so.

I'm not particularly familiar with either Charlotte or Charleston but would note that they are both distinctly southern cities, with all that implies. If not in town, more guns in the outlying regions for sure. Nevertheless I suspect you might find either quite genteel and pleasant, depending. Not as hot as Phoenix, few places are, or Dallas, but the most humid of your selections. Although also with the mildest winters.

One thing for sure, each will be distinctly different.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Hey all I had a seprate thread but I dont think anyone is replying

I've narrowed down my search to what cities i'd like to focus on living near.

My list is down to.

Denver, CO
Phoenix, AZ
Charlotte, NC
Dallas, TX
Charleston, SC area

I dont want heat that would keep me indoors that would be unbearable to put up with that it would just be too HOT. also looking for a very cosmopolitan and safe city with a strong economy, clean etc (you get the picture lol)
Good restaurants, nice bars, not run down etc.

I've heard Denver is tops on that but is it very cold in winter?

Heard Dallas is too humid and can be uncomfortable.

Cheers
Charleston is quite a bit smaller than the others you listed. But since you're Eurpoean, I think you'd like it best. It's historic, warm, clean, safe, etc. Denver is just too new, too many parking lots downtown. But the moutains are beautiful. Phoenix is too hot, spread out, no history, no culture, limited water, major drought, not safe. Dallas is too spread out and humid. Charlotte might be your 2nd favorite.

There's a quiz you can take to find your city in America. It gave me my favorite cities like Boston, NYC, Philly, Chicago, etc. The quiz is here:Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!.

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:14 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
The only thing remotely European on that list is Charleston. Great Arch., history and people. A humid heat in summer, nice winters. The smallest city on your list. My next pick would be Denver, nice location on a plateau near the mountains, liberal, vibrant, good economy, clean and safe. If I remeber right, Denver gets a ton of snow dumped on it, and it melts quickly. It is sunnier than most imagine also. Dallas is a good choice too, arid climate, sprawling even by American standards, conservative suburbs, relatively liberal inner city. After that, you should stay in Scotland.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 PM

If you really want to experience something other than European culture then Pheonix would be your best bet. It's the complete opposite of Scotland.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Phoenix and area...

http://www.azexport.com/images/ArizonaPhotos/PhoenixSkylineAtSunset.jpg (broken link)

http://www.hireatrainer.com/arizona_listings/cactus_phoenix_arizona.JPG (broken link)

Denver and area...

http://www.wedigdenver.com/d1.jpg (broken link)

Charleston, SC...

Charleston South Carolina Photo Gallery by Darrell Duke at pbase.com

Charlotte...
http://www.probasi.org/images/Charlotte_skyline.jpg (broken link)

Dallas...
http://www.3dphoto.net/world/united_states/south/dfw3d/dallas_sunset.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 AM

Are there any other cities you've considered? Seattle is a great city. Never too hot, never too cold, beautiful scenery, clean, tops list of recreational activities, safe, diverse, educated, wealthy, etc. Portland, OR, also. Very enviromentally conscious out there.

Seattle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
My vote went to Seattle

Now you can't tell me that's not beautiful! My close runners up are San Francisco and Denver.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM

63 posts, read 194,743 times
My vote would go to Charlotte or Dallas. Both incredibly CHEAP places to live with booming economies. Dallas (or Houston) are probably the best values in the country when it comes to "big city" living. Hot and humid as hell in the summer though...

But you know...you can't go wrong with 72 oz. steaks and barbequed beef brisket in Texas.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 17,779 times
Having spent the first 13 years of my life in Poland and visiting it and London, Paris, Milan, Naples and such since I have to warn you about Arizona. I live here now(Mesa) and am working on getting out. This whole area is dull, there is next to nothing to do during the summer and the few things that are available (coffee shops, restorants a museum that's slowly improving) are all a long drive away. You have to drive to get anywhere here and the traffic is horrid-the drivers bad.
Summers are very, very, very hot-living in an overheated hairdryer hot. Even our pool warms up to bath water warm. It's very dusty and polluted (we are on LA's heels I think) and a lot of people have allergies all year long. There is natural beauty in Arizona (a vacation can take care of that) and the winters are beautiful, but not enough to make up for the nasty summer. It's September and we are still in triple digits!
Economy is healthy and getting a job is fairly easy, but that can be said about much better cities in the USA.
Houses have gone up a lot in the last couple of years so has the cost of living, but I think it's average. Crime in the Phoenix area is high-above average so take that into consideration as well. We've even had some murders in what we considered safe east Mesa suburbs recently.
I'm looking at Denver CO and Seattle WA as possible new areas to live.
I've only visited Miami FL and some cities in CA as far as USA goes so I can't remark on your other choices, but from what I've researched so far Denver seems like a great place to live. Seattle sounds fab- so I have to vist both before I make my decision.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.