Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

Tell me CD'ers....if you have lived in one city your whole life...dont you think by 40... you would be sick and fed up with every nook and crannie about your city?.....Currently have house on market trying to sell without giving it away.....Im currently in the South, but trying to relocate West....but getting a lot of negativity....
- You're too old to relocate- (Better now that later.....at least still young enough to "swing a groove" every now and then.
- You dont know anyone there.( I'll make new friends)
- You wont make it.... (Not so.... very aggressive when it comes to job hunting....however when 1st relocating...would tranfer with present company.)
- You'll miss home....(Doubt it).
Anyway..just wanted to post this...to get a little encouragement....Sometimes it's hard trying to fight a battle, with naysayers all the time trying to pull you down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 01:43 PM

983 posts, read 2,540,741 times
Default You can do it

I did that twice in the past 15 years. Moved all the way from VA to CA without knowing anyone in CA. Then moving from CA to NC again without knowing a single soul in NC. Now I have great friends all over the US and I have experienced life in different cultures. I tend to get the moving itch every few years, so I am looking for my next adventure. If you make up your mind, do a lot of research and find things that will make it easier on you. Being in a new place is exciting and tough at the same time. When I moved to Charlotte, I did a lot of research on-line to find some restaurants, neighborhoods, even Trader Joe's made sure I was close enough to one. Made sure I had some of my familiar things with me when I moved to ease the edge. CD was a great help, I felt that I have friends already before I even put a foot in the city. So go with what you think is the right thing, be prepared and tell the nay sayers to stop and be supportive of your decision. Worst case scenario you can move back if you don't like your new home. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
40 is not too old to relocate! And, the whole point of relocating is to forge a new path for yourself so no reason you won't make new friends. I think it's just researching the "right" place for yourself. But, once you're pretty convinced of that... People move all the time, every age and every situation. I can't imagine why people would be discouraging except that they just can't do it themselves.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Tell me CD'ers....if you have lived in one city your whole life...dont you think by 40... you would be sick and fed up with every nook and crannie about your city?.....Currently have house on market trying to sell without giving it away.....Im currently in the South, but trying to relocate West....but getting a lot of negativity....
- You're too old to relocate- (Better now that later.....at least still young enough to "swing a groove" every now and then.
- You wont make it.... (Not so.... very aggressive when it comes to job hunting....however when 1st relocating...would tranfer with present company.)
Anyway..just wanted to post this...to get a little encouragement....Sometimes it's hard trying to fight a battle, with naysayers all the time trying to pull you down.
A memorable scene from "The Pursuit of Happyness" with Will Smith... Words to live by....

Don't ever let somebody tell you...
...you can't do something.
Not even me.
- All right? - All right.
You got a dream...
...you gotta protect it.
People can't do something themselves...
...they wanna tell you you can't do it.

If you want something, go get it. Period.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
I am 74 and I've relocated twice and built two new houses in the last six years. Go for it.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
I moved several times in earlier in my life, and each time was an adventure - learning my way around new city, taking advantage of all it offers, meeting new people, getting involved in new activities. Eventually, I settled into a career in Houston for the last 25+ years, but during the last 5 or so I started growing restless. So once I retired this past December, we picked up and moved to Philadelphia without knowing a soul here. Prior to moving I had the same stuff thrown at me as you, plus my favorite: "It's cold there." (Really?? I had no idea! ).

Don't let the naysayers discourage you. Moving is an adventure, and in most instances, I suspect people are projecting their own fears about change onto you. I moved at 55 and couldn't be happier. Trust me, from where I sit, 40 is pretty young. Best of luck.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:10 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Unless you're physically or mentally falling apart at age 40, I would ignore any age-brings-limitations arguments, except for getting certain types of jobs that cater to youth (if you have a good job that you may not be able to reclaim after moving, and you don't want to try something else).

I think television and other advertising has a lot to do with pigeonholing people based on age. They push constant warnings of physical limitations and medications they want to sell to specific age groups. The idea that once you hit a certain decade-mark you undergo a sudden change is ridiculous. Aging occurs day by day, or in even smaller increments, not radical leaps.

Some people don't feel or act "old" until well into their 60s, so I'd go with what you've got and ignore the numerical age stereotypes.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:27 AM

205 posts, read 389,107 times
you're never too old for an adventure

Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
I've heard this a lot from the South. When a friend of mine decided to relocate to the Seattle area, she got all sorts of astonished looks, even though everyone knew her boss hated her with a passion and was abusive and hated her job. "Oh! You're going to ruin your career!" "You don't know anybody! You'll be so lonely!" "People in Seattle are too liberal/too depressed/too nerdy!" "It rains 9 months out of the year there! (... ok this is true)

Sorta seems like it's this thing where people expect you to stay close to roots or establish new roots and stay there like a bump on a log.

I'd say go where you think you'll like it and where the people are more open minded.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
40 is NOT old!!! Life is an adventure. Don't let your age hold you back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.