U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 02:07 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to what others think about this issue. There are many people out there who become sick and tired of living in the same place for years and years, and eventually decide that they want to move to become happier, as if it will solve their problems for good. So, I ask, does moving to a new place usually solve one's problems and make them happier?

From my experience, the answer is no. I lived in both NYC and CT my whole life, and had the same feelings of mild depression, no matter what. It was hard to make friends, no matter where I lived, and I didn't feel any happier there than I do here in CT.

What is your take on this matter? Is the grass usually greener on the other side or not?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 02:12 PM

20,845 posts, read 35,927,262 times
I am actually looking into the possibility of moving to the Des Moines, IA metro area as it seems to offer some of the things I'm looking for. I've got to delve into the job search, looking at headhunters, networking, facebook, etc to see if I can find a good position. I've moved a lot so I don't really care one way or another.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:15 PM

983 posts, read 2,176,264 times
The place doesn't make us happy, but it helps when you move to a sunny, healthy, developing and clean place. Staying in the same space without change creates boredom and boredom is the beginning of all problems. Staying active and involved in the community and being open to other cultures help with happiness levels. Moving to a new place away from a place that reminds you of bad experiences helps a lot. Change is the essence of life, look at yourself in the mirror and you will see life (change) everyday.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:31 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
The issue at hand is you'll never know if life is greener on the other side if you continue to be mired in inertia. If life is just great there is no reason to move. If one feels "stuck" or depressed and has tried various ways to break out of it with no success, then I would say a move in in order. It's not without risk but as the saying goes by hockey great Wayne Gretzky..."You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

Old 07-30-2011, 03:04 PM

257 posts, read 200,826 times
As I responded in another thread I think another area can make you happier. I have a friend who loves skiing more then anything so he moved from CT to Utah and is as happy as a pig in mud.

You need to figure out what kind of enviroment you want to be in and what kind of things you enjoy doing. Life is an adventure, there is no law that says you have to live your whole life in one place.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,347,718 times
It depends on the person, the situation you're in, the reason you're moving, and what lays ahead of you in the new place you're going to be in.

If you're heading to a place where you don't know anyone, you don't have a job, there are few prospects for you, and you didn't necessarily want to leave where you're coming from, then you may not have the best time.

If you've got prospects or a job or school already, it's a place you've always wanted to live in, you know some people, and you couldn't wait to get out of wherever it is that you were, then there's a good chance you're gonna enjoy it

Old 07-30-2011, 04:04 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,083,847 times
Who's Your City is a good book that brings up this subject.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:19 PM

205 posts, read 330,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm just curious as to what others think about this issue. There are many people out there who become sick and tired of living in the same place for years and years, and eventually decide that they want to move to become happier, as if it will solve their problems for good. So, I ask, does moving to a new place usually solve one's problems and make them happier?

From my experience, the answer is no. I lived in both NYC and CT my whole life, and had the same feelings of mild depression, no matter what. It was hard to make friends, no matter where I lived, and I didn't feel any happier there than I do here in CT.

What is your take on this matter? Is the grass usually greener on the other side or not?
Yes and No
Moved from CT to FL - went from happiness to unhappiness (move was not my choice by the way)

When I got older I moved from southern fl to northern fl in hopes that getting away from home would make me happier. However, I didn't research the town I live in now before moving here. It's the complete opposite of where I used to live but it was just as bad but in a different way.

I am planning on moving to NY next year so my fiancee can tranfer to one of the SUNY schools. I'm hoping that by moving back near my "roots" that I can be more fulfilled.

I am also looking to move there because I know that it has options for things that make me happy (ie. snow, hiking, biking, etc) I love outdoor activities but FL is just way too hot for that.

So I think when making a decision to move for happiness you have to make sure that you're :
#1 not running away from the place you don't like
#2 choosing a place that has activities/weather/etc that you can like and/or deal with
#3 comparing the pros & cons of the different lifestyles
so those are just my feelings on moving for happiness

Old 07-30-2011, 04:31 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:

You moved but you are still in the same general tri-state area, so in a way you didn't really move.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM

20,845 posts, read 35,927,262 times
Quote:

Moving does help, but it ALSO is good to immediately try and establish new contacts, networks, friends in the new place that you end up as it does help root you more to the new place. In your case, you might consider moving to a different region of the country that offers a different type of flavor, somewhat slower pace, lower cost of living, etc. I would suggest Minneapolis/St. Paul as I think it offers many good attributes that tend to appeal for those looking at leaving the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or