Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,579,296 times

Advertisements

Can you get to the library to read about nutrition and moods? I've discovered fava beans are a natural source of dopamine and help my energy level. Melatonin, too, though it may be the effect of a good nights sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 09:18 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,065 times
The best place to move would be California, they have all sorts of benifits for the poor there.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
That is a very tough situation. You are already in an inexpensive area. Someday we will face this (it's called, be put out to pasture) and in our case we will be moving from an expensive area to somewhere less expensive. Before you really go through with a move, think it through in depth. Map out the rest of your life using harsh reality as your guide. Do a plusses and minuses analysis taking all emotion out of it. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
The best place to move would be California, they have all sorts of benifits for the poor there.
Wrong. We're flat broke and getting broker by the day. Next budget cycle what you saw at the Federal level the past few weeks will happen here. Over the next 10 years, services here will decline dramatically. Many people are going to have hard lessons. Never assume the current conditions will last.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I was going to suggest the pacific NW but yeah, it rains 9 months of the year here.

I second the suggestion of seeing a marriage counselor and therapist if you haven't done so already. And the depression you're having will not be cured by being near energy.

If you're dead set on living somewhere, I do know SoCal like LA and NorCal like San Fran are excellent in terms of services and assistance for the poor.
No, cuts are happening. You are living in the past.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Dover, Delaware? Temperate weather, college kids, no sales tax and buses!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,651,651 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by CABQ View Post
I am late 40's and have chronic fatigue syndrome. I don't have family to move to. I want to leave my marraige. I have been unable to work the whole time (20+ years), but I hold some hope that there will be more energy available to me over time because of leaving and perhaps I can supplement with a part time job.

I will be in total poverty needing food stamps and welfare but not immediately, there will be a little money, Ill be able to get to my moving destination, have a car, rent an apartment but it won't last long.

I thought that if I was going to be poor then the best place to be would be the "student ghetto" lots of services/buses/ and lots of kids that is not your typical "where the poor folk live" It would have such energy and vitality.

What I most need is ease of transportation for me, and easy climate to be standing outside in. I'm not good with the 6 months of extreme summer here in SoFL nor would I be good with very cold extended winters. Of course extremes that are brief would be allright. I understand the South is 100 degrees right now, but it wont last long. Florida is 90+ every day for 6 months. I also don't want the dark NW I need some sun.

I would need to have bus services very close to my front door, and any bike rides very short (to a grocery store what have you) because of the low energy situation.

So how will you advise me? I know how easy it could be to fall through the cracks. Yet I know, that being in the right place is gonna give me the best quality of life even living on subsistance.

Thank you for thinking of me and where I should move.
I feel for you but u aren't mentally/ physically handicapped are you?. You sound like you gave up in life. Some1 who gives up knows that they will need food stamps and welfare in the future. While trying to be sympathetic something just doesn't sound right about how you're approaching all of this

Last edited by boreatwork; 08-03-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 09:11 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,577 times
It sounds like you're depressed. It happens to everybody. As other people have already said, moving might not solve your problems. They will follow you wherever you go b/c they are in your head. It sounds like they have been building up for a while and now you feel completely overwhelmed. Leaving might offer you some temporary relief but it will cause a whole bunch of new problems and complications --not knowing anybody, not having a job, feeling alienated, etc.

One piece of advice would be that if you are feeling so low energy, low willpower all the time, exercise will energize you, make you look and feel better, relieve a lot of your stress, and release all kinds of endorphins to decrease your anxiety and depression. Take up running or jogging or even just walking while you are making your decision, it will make you more clearheaded and awake and able to think critically during this difficult time. Right now you are thinking out of desperation, start feeling alive again and things won't seem nearly to desolate. Best of luck.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:17 PM

410 posts, read 832,591 times
Bump...I would like to hear more responses on this. I'm older, too, and kind of poor looking to move - with a medical history.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You should definitely look into Chicago. Get a roommate your age. There's public transportation EVERYWHERE in Chicago. You've got the bus and the subway. It's not too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. Grocery stores and convenience stores are a dime a dozen and usually close to anywhere there is housing. Chicago is a really nice city and plenty of people are using welfare over there so you don't have to worry about that. As a rule of thumb, don't move to south or west Chicago. They are crime ridden. Always look into downtown or the north. And the reason I advocated for you to get a roommate is because that way, you don't have to live in the ghetto. You would live in an nice area and would split the rent and have it affordable for you. As a roommate, you would generally pay $300-700 for a room in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment depending on the location. And look for someone who is your age that is renting. That always make things a bit more comforting.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.