Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM

54 posts, read 113,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
eh maybe newark DE think the may have meant either Camden or Wilmington
Ya sorry my mistake I meant Camden, don't know why I put Newark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM

103 posts, read 259,061 times
I would add Houston to the list defiantly.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:05 PM

103 posts, read 259,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post
Ya Columbus I think I'm going to add.

What about Kansas City? Would doing St-Louis only be enough for that region?
I thought about KC too I think you could add it. Within a 2 and a half hour to three hour drive you have DES Moine and Omaha. I meet and see so many people from those cities visiting KC very often so KC could cover that whole area

Old 08-03-2011, 02:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,834,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by careerbound View Post
I would add Houston to the list defiantly.
Its odd. Maybe the OP was gauging distance? But if I had to pick two cities in Texas Houston and Dallas would be my choices. those two make up half the population of the state. and The distance from Houston to Dallas is further than either to Austin.

And if Distance was the factor why include all those cities in the NE. Shouldn't NY and maybe DC be adequate for that area since Boston is close enough to NY and Philly close enough to either DC or NY.

Plus there is no City on the Gulf Coast from mexico to Tampa. That is a huge missed opportunity right there. Houston and or NOLA would fill the void well

Old 08-03-2011, 02:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,102,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post
Say you were a marketing manager and your boss tells you the company wants to market their product in 20 major cities (metros) in the USA. By marketing, stuff like street teams and samples and billboards, etc, but they want to save money and only do 20 major cities. They hope that the surrounding cities find out about the product through the major cities.

So what would the 20 most important major cities/metros in the USA be for a company to advertise their product in? PS, they want to attract the 18-30 year olds who like to party.

So far I got:

NYC
Chicago
LA
Dallas
Philadelphia
Washington DC + Baltimore
SF + Oakland + San Jose + Berkeley + Santa Cruz
Miami + Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta + Athens
San Diego
Las Vegas
Minneapolis + St-Paul
Denver
Boston + Providence
Phoenix + Tempe + Glendale
Austin
Tampa + St-Petersburg
Seattle + Tacoma
St-Louis
Portland

I thought about Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Charlotte, Virginia Beach+Norfolk, Raleigh... but I dont know much about them.
I wouldn't place that much marketing within the NE when the cities are relatviely close; I'd replace Philly and Baltimore with Houston and Dallas. However, I'd leave out Portland and Las Vegas and than throw back in Philly and Baltimore.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,759,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I wouldn't place that much marketing within the NE when the cities are relatviely close; I'd replace Philly and Baltimore with Houston and Dallas. However, I'd leave out Portland and Las Vegas and than throw back in Philly and Baltimore.

Why not, more than one in 6 people live in this region, this is advertising not importance. All 4 large metros are among the 7 largest Advertising DMAs in the us - they are all no brainers as to me are DFW and Hosuton.

And the NE is bar none the most effective ad space in the US becauseof the population and huge concentration of population. For perspective the Philadelphia advertising market is closer to the size of Chicago than it is to the size of DFW

b

Old 08-03-2011, 02:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,834,283 times
My list based on Distance

1. NY (Boston and Philadelphia are close enough)
2. LA (San Diego is close enough)
3. Chicago (Detroit and Milwaukee are too close)
4. DC (Philly, Baltimore, etc)
5. Houston (The South East Texas Region)
6. SF (Bay Area, Sacramento, and Norcal)
7. DFW (North Texas, PanHandle)
8. Miami (all of Florida)
9. Atlanta (Birmingham and other Cities in that Area)
10. Seattle (Pacific NW)
11. Minneapolis (Cusp between the Far western mid west and the western states)
12. Phoenix (Lower Interior West)
13. Denver (Upper Interior West)
14. NOLA (Gulf Coast)
15. San Antonio (central Texas and S. Texas)
16. Columbus (Ohio and nearby areas)
17. St Louis
18. Charlotte
19. SLC
20. San Juan (For the Caribbean Territories)

dunno how Hawaii and Alaska would fit in

Old 08-03-2011, 03:10 PM

54 posts, read 113,836 times
Would you guys do Charlotte over Raleigh? Raleigh is closer to Greensboro and Greenville and has a better university atmosphere, right? wrong?

And for some reason I'm not feeling Detroit. I understand that metro has a pretty large population but I just don't think the market there is right

Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,197,183 times
Here is the list of the Nielsen market sizes. It should give you a good idea of regional market influence.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...-dma-ranks.pdf

Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,039,386 times
In rough geographic order:

Boston
New York
Washington
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Charlotte
Miami
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit
Chicago
Minneapolis
St Louis
Dallas
Houston
Phoenix
Denver
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.