Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM

54 posts, read 114,145 times

Advertisements

Say you were a marketing manager and your boss tells you the company wants to market their product in 20 major cities (metros) in the USA. By marketing, stuff like street teams and samples and billboards, etc, but they want to save money and only do 20 major cities. They hope that the surrounding cities find out about the product through the major cities.

So what would the 20 most important major cities/metros in the USA be for a company to advertise their product in? PS, they want to attract the 18-30 year olds who like to party.

So far I got:

NYC
Chicago
LA
Dallas
Philadelphia
Washington DC + Baltimore
SF + Oakland + San Jose + Berkeley + Santa Cruz
Miami + Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta + Athens
San Diego
Las Vegas
Minneapolis + St-Paul
Denver
Boston + Providence
Phoenix + Tempe + Glendale
Austin
Tampa + St-Petersburg
Seattle + Tacoma
St-Louis
Portland

I thought about Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Charlotte, Virginia Beach+Norfolk, Raleigh... but I dont know much about them.

Last edited by WorldCapital; 08-03-2011 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM

285 posts, read 642,312 times
I would include one of the Ohio metro's because it is one of the most populous states and could spread to the other metro's throughout the state. Possibly Columbus if you are looking for a lot of young people. Other than that it seems pretty good.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:44 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times
Philadelphia and Newark?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:45 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post
Say you were a marketing manager and your boss tells you the company wants to market their product in 20 major cities (metros) in the USA. By marketing, stuff like street teams and samples and billboards, etc, but they want to save money and only do 20 major cities. They hope that the surrounding cities find out about the product through the major cities.

So what would the 20 most important major cities/metros in the USA be for a company to advertise their product in? PS, they want to attract the 18-30 year olds who like to party.

So far I got:

NYC
Chicago
LA
Dallas
Philadelphia + Newark
Miami + Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta + Athens
San Diego
Las Vegas
Minneapolis + St-Paul
Denver
Boston + Providence
Austin
Tampa + St-Petersburg
Seattle + Tacoma
St-Louis
Portland

I thought about Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus, Charlotte, Virginia Beach+Norfolk, Raleigh... but I dont know much about them.
I think you'd pretty much would have to include Detroit + Ann Arbor, Charlotte + something else in NC, and at least one of the Ohio metros.

I'd probably get rid of Las Vegas; I'm not sure who the other two would be though.

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times
WEST:
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Denver
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans

EAST:
Minneapolis
Chicago
Detroit
Boston
New York City
Philadelphia
Washington D.C.
Atlanta
Tampa
Miami

Ya Columbus I think I'm going to add.

What about Kansas City? Would doing St-Louis only be enough for that region?

Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCapital View Post

So far I got:

NYC
Chicago
LA
Dallas
Philadelphia + Newark
Miami + Fort Lauderdale
Atlanta + Athens
San Diego
Las Vegas
Minneapolis + St-Paul
Denver
Boston + Providence
Austin
Tampa + St-Petersburg
Seattle + Tacoma
St-Louis
Portland

what about Houston??? You included Austin and not Houston. The SE Texas area has 8M people. Central Texas where Austin is has half of that.

Personally I like how the metros were back in the 1990

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bles/tab03.pdf

Old 08-03-2011, 01:49 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what about Houston???

Personally I like how the metros were back in the 1990

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bles/tab03.pdf
Yeah, I didn't notice they weren't on there either. They'd be an obvious choice.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Philadelphia and Newark?

eh maybe newark DE think the may have meant either Camden or Wilmington

Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I think you'd pretty much would have to include Detroit + Ann Arbor, Charlotte + something else in NC, and at least one of the Ohio metros.

I'd probably get rid of Las Vegas; I'm not sure who the other two would be though.
for NC I was thinking Raleigh is a good choice because Greensboro and Greenville are close. Plus, there's more students and the party/younger crowd.

Also, I put Las Vegas because lots of 21-30 year olds go to Vegas for vacation to party, so if they got marketing there it would be good for when the crowd flies back home (to whichever city that may be)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.