Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 AM

336 posts, read 512,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehi View Post
Maybe the world didn't stop turning for you but it did for almost three thousand people, and I suspect the world stopped turning for their loved ones for a while too, or to quote another song, have you forgotten?
The world doesn't stop turning for anybody. It continued to turn the entire time. I know this because it still got dark out that night and I saw the moon. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 12:02 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I have to admit with all the subsequent terror incidents around the world and the apparent acceptance of violence by Muslims in general, I have come to view them as the enemy.
I find this quote of yours scary. You can't judge an entire religion based on what a few members do. There are many good peaceful Muslims in this world and they don't accept or believe in violence.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:13 PM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times
I was at my new job and 6 months pregnant thinking "What kind of world am I brining this child into!" I was sure bombs were going to start dropping from the sky. I was also in a panic because the job I had just left 5 months ago was in the World Trade Center. I lost 5 friends that day. Thinking about that day still makes me tremble with fear and sadness.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:40 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Default I still remember and shall never forget

I was home finishing up getting my then 2 year old ready so we could leave. I was going to go meet my friend for our workout that morning as always. My husband called and told me to turn on the tv to see what had happened. All he heard on the radio in his truck was some plane hit a building in NYC. He had just dropped off our then 7 year old at school and was headed to work. I turned on the tv watching Charlie Gibson talk about how it appeared that some "small plane" had hit one of the WTC buildings. Smoke coming out of the building but they had no information on the type of plane. Then out of the nowhere comes a jet and crashed right into the other WTC building. My heart stopped, I could not speak. I just stood there frozen staring at the tv w/ the phone in my hand and my husband asking over and over "what?" because of the silence. I remember Charlie Gibson not saying a word either for a VERY LONG time. I finally muttered something about "plane", "building", "it hit".... "no", "bbbbbig plane". "Bbbig plane, hhhit bbbbuilding" in VERY muttered English like a toddler would speak. My heart sinking. A very strange feeling that I have never hardly ever felt before. I had no relatives in NYC but I did have some family friends that were there visiting their new grandchildren (they were stuck there for weeks). I could barely get any other info out to my husband on the phone. I called my friend and told her to turn on her tv onto one of the major stations, she questioned me as to what was going on and I could only say that two planes had hit the WTC buildings and we both hung up w/ a "bye". I debated for hours of whether or not to go p/u my child at school. I did not take my 2 year old to mdo that day. Instead it was as someone else described, they could sense something was amiss and just were as lowkey that day as we were. I finally sat down on the couch in front of the tv and stared at the tv most of the day and then hearing about the other two planes . I arrived at school earlier than normal that day as had others. My daughter told me a few kids left early that day but they did not know what all had transpired. A few days later my sister finally got a call from one of her friends that worked for AA. One of the planes that day was her normal flight. She switches w/ someone every now and then to come thru D/FW to see her parents and had that day. She was here when it happened. It is amazing how many people that were effected like that on that day.

One thing that I remember is how quiet that skies were after that for a long time. I have always been the type to hear the planes overhead and if it sounds close to look and see. It was utter silence in the skies for so long it seemed. Then when they started flying again. Everytime I would hear a plane that sounded very low I would scan the sky quickly for it. Is it going to crash? Into what building? Then the sounds of the military jets that were circling the skies.

Nope, that is one day I will never forget.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:52 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Default Ub50

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I find this quote of yours scary. You can't judge an entire religion based on what a few members do. There are many good peaceful Muslims in this world and they don't accept or believe in violence.
That's how I feel and I'm not here to please you. Feel as you do, that's fine with me. Sorry you find my view "scary". I find Islamic fascists scarier.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:19 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I find Islamic fascists scarier.
I have yet to see or hear of an "Islamic fascist."

Fascism does not mean what you seem to think it means.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:26 PM

273 posts, read 1,649,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

'Scuse me, pardon me <nudge, nudge>. I don't want to get too much into the middle of this but I just wanted to point out that there is a term "Islamofascist". Maybe that is what he meant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamofascism

Old 09-05-2006, 05:32 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

There appears to be a lot of confusion over what the term "fascism" means.

Nonetheless, Timothy McVeigh was a Republican and a member of the NRA. Since he's responsible for the second largest terrorist operation ever carried out in this country, shouldn't those Republican NRA members be scrutinized too? (Just kidding!)

I think anything that promotes hate between people is a bad thing. Terrorism, in any form by anyone, is a product of hate.

Last edited by UB50; 09-05-2006 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-05-2006, 05:32 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Default Thank you Lehi :-)

Quote:
'Scuse me, pardon me <nudge, nudge>. I don't want to get too much into the middle of this but I just wanted to point out that there is a term "Islamofascist". Maybe that is what he meant.

Thank you Lehi Islamic Fascist, Islamofascist, whatever.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:07 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:

People can make up a term "circular square" if they like, but there's still no such thing as a circular square --- even if you write up a Wikipedia entry. You can have a circle or you can have a square. But if you mix them, you have neither a circle nor a square.

Fascism does not mean what the pundits seem to think it means. People who keep throwing this term around seem to think that fascism = totalitarianism. That ain't so. Fascism is only one of many kinds of totalitarianism.

The radical Islamic fanatics causing so many problems right now are in no way fascists. You could perhaps call them theocrats if you like. You could certainly call them fanatics, zealots, totalitarian-wannabes, etc., but they aren't fascists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.