Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you prefer?
Y'all 75 40.98%
You Guys 88 48.09%
Something else 20 10.93%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I began typing a civil response to your long post quoting mine above, but after reading this childish attack, I'm done with your antics.
Getting a little testy, are we? Well, here are a few more things to get testy about...

Where did I attack you personally? Show me where..please. I am truly curious as to what I said that was not justified as to in response to your own earlier missive. I certainly never used ad hominim attacks. Are you just not used to having people disagree with you...?

Regardless, we can drag our exchange out for the world to see, far as I am concerned. It was you who started to use such language as "correcting (my) ignorance" and what-not. But whatever, I don't give a damn if you take your tinker toys and go home or not.

Quote:
Have a nice day, you guys.
And all y'all's bunch up there do the same, ya heah? And I ain't just whistlin' Dixie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 04:52 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,215 times
Just so y'all know I say y'all and I am from the South and I do not have a Southern drawl accent. I am also highly educated and well-traveled...

Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I like, and use, "y'all" or a general "you". I don't like "you guys" and I know many women who don't like that term either.

When I was growing up I can remember my sisters, girl cousins, and their girlfriends using the term "guys" when referring to each other. They'd say things like "Hurry up, you guys!" or "Are you guys ready yet?" when getting ready to go somewhere together. I even hear it now that they are older.

I also know a few women who only have girl children who will say things such as "Let's go, guys!" to them while getting ready to leave somewhere.

So while there may be some females who don't like the term it isn't all of them, and there are even many who use it amongst themselves.

I myself will use the term when referring to both my nephews and nieces. I'll say things such as "What to do you guys want to eat?" or "What are you guys doing?" whenever I'm watching them.

I've heard and used the term that way for as long as I can remember, and I was born in the eighties. I recently asked my mom how long she remembers the term being used this way and she said even when she was little she can remember using it herself and even hearing it among older people. She was born in the fifties, so it's likely usage of the term in this way (to refer to females) is even older than that.

Regardless of how recent usage of the term in this way is, if it's in the dictionary (and respected dictionaries such as Webster's at that) then in no way is it wrong or innapropriate usage.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
you guys.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Hey you guys - YouTube

Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
I prefer, and say "you guys." And I'm in VA. Y'all sounds like a speech impediment to me.
You must be in that "shameful age", at or around 17-24. I know, you'll grow out of it. It's only temporary.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
"You guys" sounds better to me. "Y'all" sounds like a redneck uneducated person.
That's because the media has fed you such. What is wrong with a contraction of "You all" as "y'all"?

By the way, those who usually talk of educated vs. uneducated are generally minimally educated. They may have a couple years of college, or at most a bachelor's degree. Rarely have they obtained more education that that. It's just a trait, I suppose, kind of like what you surmise above.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
We really need a 2nd person plural in English... someone should start a petition.
Good point; most other languages feature a plural 'you' tense; why don't we?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:37 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I say 'you guys' because that it what I grew up hearing in Chicago and that is just how we role here. However, I really wish English had a proper second person plural. To me 'y'all' sounds funny, just as funny as my friend, from the south says 'you guys' sounds to her.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Both, or "You folks" or "You girls".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.