U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 AM

292 posts, read 572,365 times

Advertisements

Maybe Houston or Miami? Right now I am researching a place north of Houston called "The Woodlands" which seems to be the opposite of Seattle. I want to move to a place that is totally different compared to Seattle. What is the opposite of Seattle to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 02:24 AM

9,045 posts, read 17,311,754 times
Dallas
Orlando
Phoenix
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Oklahoma City

and several more

Old 08-13-2011, 06:02 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,240,819 times
I'd guess opposite would be hot, sunny, and highly conservative. (I'm not saying Seattle's as rainy as claimed, but I think it is cloudy)

Bakersfield, California is pretty reliably Republican and it's listed as having among the most days clear of clouds. Not sure it's that hot though.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c476.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bakers...alifornia.html

Wichita Falls, Texas looks to be quite hot and sunny in the Summer. As I recall it's highly conservative in voting pattern. Its metro apparently includes Archer, Clay, and Wichita county. Clay went for Clinton in 1992, and Dukakis in 1988, but the other two apparently haven't went for a Democrat since Carter. In the US House of Representatives Wichita Falls itself is in the second most Republican-leaning district in the nation with Archer County being in the sixth most Republican-leaning district. In the Texas Senate Wichita Falls is represented by Republican Craig Estes while in the Texas House the metro is represented by Republicans Lanham Lyne and Rick Hardcastle. The city also is, if just barely, on the list of cities over 50,000 with the lowest percent of likely homosexual couples.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Wichita-Falls-Texas.html
President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times
Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections - Compare Maps
Project Vote Smart - Senator Craig Estes - Biography
Cook Partisan Voting Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.city-data.com/top2/c13.html

Of larger cities Oklahoma City sounds like a good pick for opposite to Seattle. Also maybe Jacksonville, Florida.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:44 AM

9,045 posts, read 17,311,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'd guess opposite would be hot, sunny, and highly conservative. (I'm not saying Seattle's as rainy as claimed, but I think it is cloudy)

Bakersfield, California is pretty reliably Republican and it's listed as having among the most days clear of clouds. Not sure it's that hot though.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c476.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Bakers...alifornia.html

Of larger cities Oklahoma City sounds like a good pick for opposite to Seattle. Also maybe Jacksonville, Florida.
True, how ironic they got their NBA team. Jacksonville is a coastal city like Seattle, though little in common otherwise. Bakersfield being on the west coast has ties, do bare in mind the PNW has a lot of California transplants and moderately conservative suburbs do exist in Seattle. When it comes to opposite, landlocked and conservative like OKC would probably be a more of a polarity to Seattle.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:48 AM

163 posts, read 307,885 times
I'm not all that well-informed about Seattle, but I think an opposite city would have to--

- Be sprawling and open.
- Be more suburban than urban.
- Have a stronger conservative influence.
- Lots of sunny, cloudless days.
- Have an older population.

Based on that, I'd say Phoenix is a strong candidate. Phoenix stands in a heavy contrast to Seattle's dense, urban, liberal, young vibe.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:46 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,462,682 times
Ideologically, I'd say the northern suburbs of Atlanta.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Yakima, Washington. Nothing could be more opposite than that. The only thing it has in common with Seattle is you can see Mount Rainier.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:17 AM

9,745 posts, read 13,655,024 times
Nashville?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Maybe Houston or Miami? Right now I am researching a place north of Houston called "The Woodlands" which seems to be the opposite of Seattle. I want to move to a place that is totally different compared to Seattle. What is the opposite of Seattle to you?
Totally different from Seattle? Nashville or Knoxville, TN.

I don't think Houston is Seattle's polar opposite beyond a few obvious differences like weather and density. I say look farther into the Southeast to find Seattle's opposite.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 AM

5,361 posts, read 7,054,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
I'm not all that well-informed about Seattle, but I think an opposite city would have to--

- Be sprawling and open.
- Be more suburban than urban.
- Have a stronger conservative influence.
- Lots of sunny, cloudless days.
- Have an older population.

Based on that, I'd say Phoenix is a strong candidate. Phoenix stands in a heavy contrast to Seattle's dense, urban, liberal, young vibe.
Phoenix probably has a younger population than Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or