Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times

Advertisements

from my experience of backpacking through the south and the US in general, the answer i find is a bit more complex than yes or no. It depends from state to state, but as a whole, i have to say it is fake. Southerners are very kind and warm, to locals, not so much to others especially when they carry the last name Martinez, or at least that was my experience. Im from California, my family is from Cuba, never before have i been called a **** until i went through the south. The worst experience I had was in Alabama where i was arrested for vagrancy because i couldn't find my hotel and had to call my family lawyer in California to arrange my release.
I am sure there are tons of affectionate and decent folk in the south, but its not worth finding them in my opinion if you have to go through that kind of trash to get to them.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzarr View Post
from my experience of backpacking through the south and the US in general, the answer i find is a bit more complex than yes or no. It depends from state to state, but as a whole, i have to say it is fake. Southerners are very kind and warm, to locals, not so much to others especially when they carry the last name Martinez, or at least that was my experience. Im from California, my family is from Cuba, never before have i been called a **** until i went through the south. The worst experience I had was in Alabama where i was arrested for vagrancy because i couldn't find my hotel and had to call my family lawyer in California to arrange my release.
I am sure there are tons of affectionate and decent folk in the south, but its not worth finding them in my opinion if you have to go through that kind of trash to get to them.
Whoa, that's pretty bad.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
No, people in the south really are friendly and more well mannered. I don't understand why people like to view us with suspicion. Is the rudeness associated with Northern people fake?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
No, people in the south really are friendly and more well mannered. I don't understand why people like to view us with suspicion. Is the rudeness associated with Northern people fake?
Its real.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
We are a friendly bunch, just not to jackasses.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Not entirely, but too much of it can be quite fake.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM

708 posts, read 1,059,910 times
Lived in NC for 6 years.They are genuinely friendly.Just don't complain about the way thing are done down there.They don't need "outsiders" telling them how to live.I don't like it when people insult my home state,so I can see why that irks them.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
I think they're raised to be polite and helpful. I only wish everyone was. I'd rather have a polite, friendly person talking to me than a blunt, rude one who states they're that way because they "need to tell it the way it is (Northeast in general)." I've found the "fakest" people in Phoenix. Seems w/ the influx of Cali's it got more that way. Kinda like emotionless automotons without human responses. That vibe is weirder to me than any other.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
I think they're raised to be polite and helpful. I only wish everyone was. I'd rather have a polite, friendly person talking to me than a blunt, rude one who states they're that way because they "need to tell it the way it is (Northeast in general)." I've found the "fakest" people in Phoenix. Seems w/ the influx of Cali's it got more that way. Kinda like emotionless automotons without human responses. That vibe is weirder to me than any other.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,431 times
It depends on the person....A lot of people in the South behave in a polite and friendly manner since that is the way that people generally transact with each other. I do think it's just a veneer though for maybe 40% of people who act friendly. I've been pretty surprised by some of the attitudes/beliefs (some along the lines of Danzaar's comments) that people have just 1 inch below that surface. Working in a job that deals a lot with the public, I can see that polite exterior quickly vanishes in order for people to get what they want (which is most of the time!). Then there are friendly people who genuinely have a good view of others (which is probably about the same percentage as there are in other states). There are a lot of really good people in the South, just like all over this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.