Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

said by etienne decreaux, (paris france 1973). politeness by its very nature is insincere.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 PM

199 posts, read 365,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I honestly think that humanity is the scourge on the face of the planet, both by our pollution and waste and also because we just breed and breed, as though there's something noble about it.

We are not responsible for the decisions that others make, but we are for those that we make. I don't think race has anything to do with it. If individuals paid the full price for their children, for their education, perhaps they would think twice before having so many.
Well, my wife and I are a couple of retiring Puerto Ricans who had three daughters (one more than necessary to replace us when we die), all of which we have fed, educated and sheltered with hard-earned wages and a lot of love. One of them is a fine teacher in Arlington, TX, the second is a very promising nursing student in SC and the youngest a mature Georgia high-schooler who would like to be a doctor someday. What would you rather have, someone with two siblings to educate your children, take your blood pressure or possibly save your life, or a mass murderer only child?

Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Every time I go to a Southern State I am impressed with how friendly most of the people are. When I go back home and tell people about it, the common statement is that the friendliness down South is not real. I am told the friendliness is actually a form of passive aggressive behavior and instead the people really do not like me but were told by their parents to act polite and friendly to everyone. In reality, they are talking nasty about me behind my back as soon as I leave.

Can this be true? Is southern hospitality a fake?

I think you going to get people rude all over the place in the US .It is well nature that some people will be nice and some people rude. I think alot is what you say to them and what you are talking about and where it is city,town or country.

People in city may be less friendly and talkative than people in the town or country.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM

607 posts, read 1,372,823 times
Based on my observations when I go south, the people in the South don't exactly try to be friendly. They try to be polite, which is completely different.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Based on my observations when I go south, the people in the South don't exactly try to be friendly. They try to be polite, which is completely different.
We're polite in a very friendly way.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
We had our Jersey friends stop and visit us in Dallas. They had a 2 hr layover here in route to. Utah. Anyway we took them for a quick bite...WHATABURGER. (It's a Texan thing) as we walked out the staff told us, " Thank you, ya'll come back, and have a great weekend."
THEY were SHOCKED!!!! " WERE THEY TALKING TO US?

On the other hand my good friend from Queens always tells me she cannot handle the way women treat each other here. "They will smile sweetly in your face, then rake your bones over coals as soon as your back is turned." She asked me if any women in the south are capable of telling the truth?
She is a no holds- barred, tells it like it is, what you see is what you get kind of woman.
I love this about her. Most of the women here think she is too brash, cold, and unfriendly.

I am from Texas. Fake-Friendly is subjective.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
WHATABURGER. (It's a Texan thing)
Actually, there are Whataburger stores in AL, AK, AZ, FL, GA, MS, NM, NC, SC, OK, and VA.

And it's no In-N-Out.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
I don't understand why people are upset by polite people with good manners. Had you rather they be rude? Do they need to want to take you to raise? Can't people smile and be nice (even if they don't want to be your new best friend) without causing upset?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Actually, there are Whataburger stores in AL, AK, AZ, FL, GA, MS, NM, NC, SC, OK, and VA.

And it's no In-N-Out.
I had no idea
Thx!
Texans who like these burgers are hard core fans.
Don't get us started on who has the better burger.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,323 times
Even fake-friendly is better than unfriendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.