U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:16 AM

640 posts, read 981,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Chipotle is a good burrito chain in my opinion. Also, I don't get people who act like they are too good to eat at chain restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I eat at chain restaurants all the time. I normally prefer a good home cooked meal or going to a small non-chain restaurant. But I do like going to chain restaurants every now and then. To say that all chains are bad is just stupid. Bill Gates is the richest person in the country and he's not too good to eat at chain restaurants. I saw Bill Gates eating at a PF Changs once in Rancho Mirage, California in the Palm Springs area. Smart powerful rich people like chain restaurants and fast food just like we do. Rich or poor, most of us love a good burger at In N Out burger, White Castle, or some other chain. It's hard to not ever eat at a chain here in America.
I think you're confusing wealth with class. Just because someone is rich does not mean they have good taste. Also, just because someone lives in a huge house in a suburban area does not mean they are cultured either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,799,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Ruth's Chris is pretty tough ... not too many places where you can succeed selling $35 steaks a-la-carte. Wanna potato or salad with that? Gonna cost you extra!
Add Morton's to that same list.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:52 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,799,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUelitist View Post
"Five Guys Burgers", might as well be McDonalds.

This is for people with actual culinary tastes, not connoisseurs of fast food.
Oh really? Where are those rules posted?

And besides, the guy who can't discern the difference between Bonefish and Red Lobster is hardly qualified to discuss culinary taste with any degree of credence.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:31 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,426,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Disagree... there are some chains that are awesome... Five Guys Burgers for example... I don't care that it's a chain.. they make great burgers.
And they give you a mountain of fries (a cup of fries, and just as many poured in the bag). Not very healthy, though.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
In our area, there are a few that are picky. An example is Krystal fast food. They are almost everywhere in the South, but there's very few of them in SC. A few in the Greenville-Spartanburg area, one token unit in Murrells Inlet, a few around Aiken, and the ones around Savannah. That is it.

Generally, you don't see any north of the Upstate, East TN, and a few in KY, and they don't go west of Texas, where they just opened like 3 in the Dallas area, one in Houston and a couple other odd places.

Bojangles is the opposite. They are almost everywhere in the Carolinas and Southside VA, but they just started in the last few years putting locations in metro Atlanta, and there's none outside their core Southeast area. The area they do serve, they superserve it. Most towns over 5,000 have them.
Krystal is a staple of:

Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
Alabama
Mississippi

There are a few in South Carolina, Louisiana, and Texas. North Carolina doesn't even have a Krystal. So odd.

Bojangles was in the Atlanta area back in the 80s. They left, and only over the last ten years have you begun to see them finally, and gradually, trickle in.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
There used to be a Krystal right near Clemson...overall it's a pretty crappy place. I remember slugging them back when I was drunk a few times, and some of my more stoned friends loved the place...but when I ate it sober, I was disappointed.

Bojangles is even worse. Bojangles was the worst chain I've ever experienced in my entire life. I don't understand how Bojangles stays open...I wouldn't feed it to my dog.
I like both. They're delicious. Obviously, you're one of those people who is picky and can't taste the goodness in the grease.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Exactly. Krystal's can't be found in many places because it sucks. It's good when you're drunk though.
Sucks? What's not to love about those little square burgers, with a dab of mustard, a few onions and pickles. Awesome.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm pretty sure Waffle House is quite picky when it comes to locations.

Rumor has it any new location they choose has to have a nearby trailer park consisting of at least 65% double-wide trailers. Also, the local poverty rate can't be higher than 95%.

They've turned into a bunch of dag gum snobs if you ask me. Done lost their way. Last time I was there, they had set aside a VIP section for the local meth kingpin and his posse. Servin them Texas Pete out of the finest crystal bottles and such. Shoot. He even had Peggy Sue with him. She thinks she's too good for me just because I'm stuck inhaling fiberglass shards in the factory for 13 hours a day. It ain't right! Not that I care or nothin. I'm doin just fine for myself.

Anyways, yea Waffle House is very selective.
Waffle House is great. Their waffles are great, as is their hash browns, scattered, smothered, and chunked.

Throughout Georgia, you can pretty much find a Waffle House at nearly every interstate exit. Well, not every one, but I'd be willing to say a majority.

Enough with the ragging on Waffle House. It's true that it's a bit "blue collar", but it's got some great food.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM

6,628 posts, read 11,995,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I like both. They're delicious. Obviously, you're one of those people who is picky and can't taste the goodness in the grease.
I don't know if I would consider myself picky...but Bojangles is hideous. At least I can enjoy Krystals while drunk. Bojangles wings taste worse than--and are worse for you than--AIDS-infested diarrhea, and I'm pretty sure their fried chicken is skunk meat breaded with deep-fried saw dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Waffle House is great. Their waffles are great, as is their hash browns, scattered, smothered, and chunked.

Throughout Georgia, you can pretty much find a Waffle House at nearly every interstate exit. Well, not every one, but I'd be willing to say a majority.

Enough with the ragging on Waffle House. It's true that it's a bit "blue collar", but it's got some great food.
Relax buddy. I actually like Waffle House...I've had plenty of fun nights there with friends. I also think Waffle House--unlike Krystals--is great when sober. It's just a good place overall and I sort of miss it (though I prefer Huddle House a little bit more to be honest).

However "a bit blue collar" is a monumental understatement. I remember a waitress who used to always work the late-shift at the local Waffle House...not only were her and the chef blatant meth heads...but I'm pretty sure she drank and tweaked constantly while on the job since she would always tell us about how "she used to be a cage dancer for Kid Rock" (I swear on my life to this story by the way). It was also constantly packed with shady patrons (at least the ones who weren't college students). Hell one of our football players was shot outside the Waffle House going into my sophomore year.

It's the meeting place of choice for trailer trash and shady people of all kinds across the country. Embrace it. Love it. Don't try to hide your shame. It is what it is, and that's part of what makes Waffle House great.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 PM

42,837 posts, read 76,429,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
California Pizza Kitchen. They are only in major metropolitan areas in nice malls or good locations, and some major metro areas don't have them (Oklahoma City, Cincinnati, Providence). There's none between Minneapolis and Seattle. Every state between MA and FL has them except for SC.

Cheesecake Factory must have over 250,000 people within a five-mile radius and a average household income of $50-70,000 (as of 2007). Major metro areas like Minneapolis and Charlotte have only one or two of them, and there's none in the Detroit area, and none between Jacksonville and Richmond on I-95. All of their restaurants are corporately owned.
Meh... We have both, for a place that doesn't have a whole lot to offer other than pigging out (unless you're the hiker, biker, etc. type). Granted, both are recent additions.

TUCSON (Nov 11, 2010) California Pizza Kitchen, Inc. (CPK), home to the Original BBQ Chicken Pizza and other innovative hearth-baked pizzas, made-to-order pastas, salads, appetizers, soups, sandwiches, and desserts, will open its first full-service restaurant in Southern Arizona at the Tucson Mall Monday, November 22, 2010.

Couldn't care less about BBQ chicken pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheonlyamy View Post
In-N-Out burgers! I wish they'd expand!
Got that, too. Another nasty burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or