Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,758 times

Advertisements

The reason why In-n-Out is only out west and in Texas is because their policy is to have hamburger distribution plants no more than a day's drive from any of their stores.

Another place that is picky about where they go is Cracker Barrel. There are very few of them that aren't right on the interstates. There's one in Murrells Inlet, SC at US 17 and 17 Bypass, but that's one of the few I can think of.

The sit-down Italian and steak places (Olive Garden, Carrabba's, Longhorn and others) are also very picky about where they go. Most of them are near interstates, or busy shopping areas so people can stop. Olive Garden requires 125,000 within 15 minutes, and a large space. Our metro area only has one Olive Garden, two Longhorns and two Carrabba's and they are constantly packed. Often you have to wait at the Olive Garden for over an hour on a weekend night.

Last edited by jetsfan16; 08-16-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Cheesecake Factory-definitely not just anywhere thus every location seems to be busy

Cracker Barrel (why are they not interested with the West Coast)?

In N Out (why are they not interested outside the Sunbelt)?

Ok the Great American Cookie Co...this is not a restaurant but definitely is on my mind when thinking about "Chains"- a more Southern/ Midwestern mall stop but what the hell are they thinking ignoring the west coast?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Cheesecake Factory-definitely not just anywhere thus every location seems to be busy

Cracker Barrel (why are they not interested with the West Coast)?

In N Out (why are they not interested outside the Sunbelt)?

Ok the Great American Cookie Co...this is not a restaurant but definitely is on my mind when thinking about "Chains"- a more Southern/ Midwestern mall stop but what the hell are they thinking ignoring the west coast?
Cracker Barrel stops at Arizona. I don't think they have any restaurants in California, Oregon, and Washington. Hollywood loves to tells lies about the South, perhaps Cracker Barrel, a southern restaurant, doesn't want to patronize a state that tells lies about them. I don't know, but it's a guess.

In 'N Out is only in California, Arizona, and Nevada, if memory serves me.

Great American Cookies has been around forever here in the South.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
What people fail to realize about chains is that no matter how good the marketing, the food has to be up to snuff or they would go out of business by word of mouth alone. Ruth's Chris is a chain but I would prefer a RC steak (downtown Indy location) over St. Elmo's any day. I personally think it's a better steak. Ala Carte sucks but they are able to get away with it due to the quality of their food. For anyone to claim all chains are bad or low brow is a laughable argument especially one who says he doesn't eat at them period. How would you know?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUelitist View Post
Well I have never been, since I don't eat at low-brow "chain" restaurants.
If I don't know the chef or haven't met him, I'm not eating there.
That's amusing & I don't believe you. A true elitist would never spend time on a message board.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:53 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The nicer chain options like PF Chang's, Maggiano's, McCormick & Schmick's, Brio's Tuscan Grille and Roy's are very choosy and typically go for spaces in high end mall or outdoor centers. In most cases they're every bit as good as independent restaurants of the same price range, despite what poseurs like the dude further back in the thread was insinuating.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 AM

617 posts, read 1,422,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Bertucci's is pretty good for a chain (certainly much better than the Olive Garden), but they're only in the Northeast.

In and Out Burger is only around California and the Southwest. It's something I could live without, but certainly better than most burger joint chains.
Bertuccis sucks, I went to the one in Watertown near the train station service was horrible and the food was mediocre at best, I preferred Gevellis in East Boston, the food was pretty good nice setting and the prices were good, now I know this is about chain restaurants but I was not at all impressed with bertuccis.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:54 AM

24,445 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post

In 'N Out is only in California, Arizona, and Nevada, if memory serves me.
You can add TX and UT to your list.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 AM

46 posts, read 118,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
You can add TX and UT to your list.
Good to know. Maybe they will come to Colorado someday!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:46 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
so basically everyone hates every chain restaurant

I'm not a huge fan of chain restaurants, but honestly I'm fine eating at them every once in awhile. It's comfort food. It's not like they all serve up garbage like McDonalds or Wendys or something.

Sometime when I'm on lunch with coworkers in Chicago we'll decide to just say screw it and go to a Bennigans. It's greasy and mass produced, but some days you just need some of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.