Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 PM

13 posts, read 40,653 times

Advertisements

Just a fair warning, this thread can come off pretty bold but in all reality I know what I want and want to have like minded people around me. Precursor - I have nothing hard against the people I am bringing up in this post, I just know what I prefer and what Im more comfortable around. Im looking to move out of Sacramento / San Fran CA area. There is a pretty big list of likes and dislikes so I will just list them and see what jumps into peoples mind as a possible location to move. The one thing that is really important is I want the area / state to be a Conservative state for the most part.

This list is not in any particular order

Noticeable Seasons (Snow in the winter is not required but would be nice)
Stable economy
Modern / well layed out area
A moderate sized city within 10-20 miles
Warm Summers
Low Humidity
Good house market for buyers
Water nearby
Clean air
Outdoor activities
Non Denominational Christian Community

Dislikes:
Flat
Constant rain
Big cities
Smog / Polution
Dirty / Run down areas
High Hispanic / Black population
*Hardcore Red Necks / Hicks
Extreme cultures
Payed Parking
Heavy Trafic

*Im not saying this to put anyone down, you could call me a Bible Thumper and I am ok with that. Im saying this just to get my point across rather than be exactly PC about it.

So what comes to mind ladies and gents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 03:04 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Wyoming

Last edited by Natural510; 11-23-2012 at 03:26 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,957 times
Minneapolis or St. Paul possibly.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Minneapolis or St. Paul possibly.
That's not conservative.
Southern Indiana is the perfect match to the OPs criteria and they are conservative people. Evansville Indiana would be a good choice.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Any small town in South Carolina. They're all like you.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Greenville County, SC

Old 11-23-2012, 08:09 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
^SC has a high black population, one of the highest in the US

Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times
Roanoke, VA and the surrouding areas like Christiansburg, Salem, and Boutertout County.

It's in the socially conservative/Libertarian-ish portion of VA. The city of Roanoke has around 200k in the MSA and it is surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is distinctly southern, yet I wouldn't call it hick or redneck by any stretch. Most of the people are well educated....they just talk with a bit of a drawl. The job and housing market in Virginia kicks ass and has for quite a while. The mountains moderate the extreme heat of the summer that you would encounter further south but they also get great fall foliage and snow. Also...Smith Moutnain Lake provides a ton of great hunting, fishing, and hiking trails.

As far as your dislikes go...it sure as hell is NOT flat by any stretch of the imagination. VA does get a bit of rain but I wouldn't say that it is anymore than most places in the country...save Arizona of course. The religious community is pretty diversified....you'll have no trouble finding a lot of non-denominational churches. You won't encounter heavy traffic or tons of payed parking either. As far as your demographic requirements go...you'll encounter a slight mixture of AA and Hispanic folk but the majority is DEFINITELY white, and DEFINITELY conservative.

I grew up in Southwest Virginia and miss it everyday. I would definitely check it out if I were you.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
That's not conservative.
Southern Indiana is the perfect match to the OPs criteria and they are conservative people. Evansville Indiana would be a good choice.
It fits almost all of his other criteria. And he said he wanted a moderate sized city close by. There's plenty of red in the area outside of Minneapolis-St. Paul.

That said, Evansville is probably a better match, other than the flatness. And having been to Indiana and Kentucky as well as Minneapolis but not Evansville, I'll say you're probably more likely to find "hardcore rednecks" there than near Minneapolis.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
It fits almost all of his other criteria. And he said he wanted a moderate sized city close by. There's plenty of red in the area outside of Minneapolis-St. Paul.
The conservative suburbs are very flat and the humidity is crazy in the summer but it's still a pretty good pick. water everywhere, driving distance to northern mn, clean air, mostly white population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.