U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM

14,820 posts, read 17,244,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
There are lots of great places in the United States and Canada that many people don't know about. What is one place that you know about that many people don't seem to know about? It can be a small city or small town here in the United States or Canada.

My pick would be Victoria, British Columbia. It should be well known but for some reason it's not.
Well, it's kind of a strange deal. My dh and I, we used to go down to Holly Beach (Cameron Parish, Louisiana) during the winter. During that time of year, hardly anyone was there, and we thought we had found the best little hide-away in the universe. What we didn't realize is that during the summer months it's the "Cajun Riviera", and it's packed arsehole to elbow with people! who knew????

Anyway, we love going there in the winter months. Unless you have experienced Cajun culture first hand, you have no idea how fun-loving these folks are! Lots and lots of food and booze and MUSIC (live Cajun music). Dancing and singing and eatin' dem crawfish. Mais! Dat's good livin' cher.

20yrsinBranson
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 PM

30,821 posts, read 35,867,649 times
To add to the Niagara Falls experience on the US side: Chamber of Commerce - Lewiston NY, Youngstown NY, Porter, Ransomville, & Sanborn ..::.. Lower Niagara River Region Chamber of Commerce
Historic Lewiston, NY
Village of Youngstown | Young in spirit, ageless in pride.
:: Old Fort Niagara :: Western New York's most popular State Historic Site, New York State Park, and National Historic Landmark
Artpark: Western New York's Premier Destination for Music, Theatre, Family Fun

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Welcome to Skaneateles
Welcome to the Village of Skaneateles! | The Village of Skaneateles

Village of Cazenovia
GCACC

Old 08-17-2011, 03:14 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,170,761 times
The Sierra Nevada foothills, east of Sacramento, have my vote. I was privileged enough to visit here a few weeks ago, and that magical feeling has never left me. It never will either, as I hope to spend my golden years in this area.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:54 PM

2,165 posts, read 1,991,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
The "driftless region" of northeast IA, southwestern WI and southeastern MN.

A nice trip is: From Decorah, IA go east to the Mississippi (stopping at Effigy Mounds) then down the west side of the River, hopping over at Dubuque to Galena, IL then up to Mineral Point, WI then up along the SW side of WI, then hopping over the Mississippi again to go west to Lanesboro MN.

Do this trip in mid October, stopping at the harvest stands for pumpkins and honey, and your heart will sing!
I agree; I love Galena, IL!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:18 PM

9,620 posts, read 8,291,477 times
The Laurel Highlands in Pennsylvania. It has just about every type of outdoor recreation available.

There are several state parks in the Laurel Highlands that are available for camping: Keystone, Kooser, Laurel Hill, Laurel Mountain, Laurel Ridge, Laurel Summit, Linn Run and Ohiopyle, plus the Bear Run Nature Reserve. The Greater Pittsburgh Council of the Boy Scouts of America owns and operates two campgrounds: Camp Twin Echo near Ligonier, and Camp Heritage near Uniontown. Camp Deer Valley is owned and operated by the Greater Pittsburgh YMCA.

For hiking, you have a long trail, and an even longer trail. The Laurel Highlands Trail (part of Laurel Ridge State Park) is 70 miles long, and passes through four counties: Cambria, Fayette, Somerset and Westmoreland. There's also the Great Allegheny Passage, which is 150 miles long from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, MD -- and it's good for biking too, since it's built on an old railroad right-of-way.

Seven Springs and Hidden Valley are the two ski resorts in the Laurel Highlands, and many Pittsburghers who like to ski take weekend trips to both of them. Seven Springs is the largest ski resort in Pennsylvania, and has been rated as the best ski resort in the Mid-Atlantic by Ski magazine for the last 15 years. On the Youghiogheny River are two segments of rapids in Pennsylvania, one with Class II-III rapids, and another with more challenging Class III-IV rapids. The Class II-III rapids are the most heavily-traveled rapids in the eastern United States. Noteworthy lakes in the Laurel Highlands include Deer Valley Lake, High Point Lake, and Youghiogheny Lake. Deer Valley Lake (and the aforementioned Camp Deer Valley) are located at the base of Mount Davis, which is the highest point in Pennsylvania, and has an observation deck.

For history buffs, there's Fort Ligonier and the Fort Necessity National Battlefield, which were both important during the French & Indian War. For more recent history, there's the Johnstown Flood Memorial, and the soon-to-open Flight 93 National Memorial. For architecture buffs, there's Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. For geology buffs, there's the Laurel Caverns. For the kids, there's Idlewild Park & Soak Zone, a combination amusement park and water park that was recently voted as the best children's park in the world by Amusement Today magazine. And this time of the year is when the Pittsburgh Steelers have their training camp at St. Vincent College in Latrobe, with the Laurel Highlands as the backdrop.

If you want a luxurious getaway, there's the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. It's one of only six resorts in the world to have both a hotel (Falling Rock) and a restaurant (Lautrec) awarded five stars by the Forbes Mobil Travel Guide and five diamonds by AAA. The restaurant is the only one between Philadelphia and Chicago to be awarded either five stars or five diamonds, let alone both.

Everything I've mentioned is a mere 60- to 90-mile drive east of Pittsburgh, and is easily accessible via the Pennsylvania Turnpike, U.S. 30 or U.S. 40.

Last edited by Gnutella; 08-17-2011 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,362,694 times
Boundary Waters

Not exactly unknown, but underrated: Joshua Tree (even if there is a U2 album of the same name).

Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 AM

63 posts, read 12,560 times
Shhh, the idea is to keep it a secret so it doesn't become the next "it" place... lol.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,772,417 times
The best place in America that people don't know about is the Finger Lakes region of New York. Paradise on earth - and you don't have to be rich to live there.

http://www.fingerlakes.org/

Pick a lake, any lake...

Cayuga
Seneca
Canandaigua
Otisco
Owasco
Keuka
Honeoye
Hemlock
Conesus
Canadice
Skaneateles

Last edited by Jeromeville; 08-23-2011 at 10:24 AM..

Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM

5,646 posts, read 12,684,336 times
Bellevue, Kentucky
Very safe urban town right across the river from Downtown Cincinnati. Great "Main Street" (actually Fairfield Ave) with lots of restaurants and local shops lined with great Victorian architecture that connects to Newport's revitalized waterfront with its aquarium and entertainment center. Bellevue is just off I-471 which connects it to most of Cincinnati's main visitor attractions in 5 minutes. The crime rate for 2009 was 64 according to its City Data profile!! The housing stock is just incredible and is much better kept up that most Victorian era places in America.

For some reason it has always been overshadowed by Covington & Newport, but it's by far my favorite rive town in NKY.

330 fairfield ave bellevue ky - Google Maps

286 van voast ave bellevue ky - Google Maps

Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 PM

10,868 posts, read 8,509,773 times
Grande Isle, LA

Bull Shark:

Don't know where this is:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.