U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

10 posts, read 34,595 times

Advertisements

I am currently going to college and have to start thinking about where I am going to graduate school. I would like to go graduate school where I plan to work and live so I get a couple of years living there just to make sure I really do want to live there. I live in Phoenix, and have all my life and will end up having professional degrees in both Architecture and Landscape Architecture. I would prefer to live in a small town because I hate the big city and all the people, however because of my future job I will have to work in a big city, so my preference would be to live in a small town (preferably in a forest, or wooded area) and commute to my job in a big city, but no longer than an hour or so. I am a fairly private and conservative person and picture myself sitting on the patio after a long day and enjoying the theoretical view of the forest around my house, or inside on the couch watching the football or baseball game, with family and friends. I also enjoy the outdoors such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, gardening, etc... on the weekends. My goal is to live on 6 or 7 acres and grow the majority of my own food, in addition to hunting and fishing. I enjoy cooking and food. My favorite cuisine is seafood, both fresh and saltwater such as trout, bass, tilapia, walleye, catfish, salmon, halibut, tuna, shrimp, clams, mussels, squid, crab, lobster, scallops, etc... so I would prefer to live near good fishing both saltwater and freshwater, close enough that I could do fishing every weekend (3 or so hours from house (no more than 5)). I also want good hunting elk, deer, etc... and a climate that is suitable for gardening and livestock raising. As for weather I hate the heat. I have lived in Phoenix all my life and when summer comes around I am miserable and unproductive. I have never lived in the cold but I have higher cold tolerances than all my friends and family so I don't want to live anywhere hot. I have traveled a lot of places in the west and love the landscape and culture in colorado, wyoming, and montana, although they are not near the ocean. I also love the seattle (other than the big city culture) area although I am not sure about the cloudiness. I would prefer the west but am not opposed to the east. I would prefer somewhere that is relatively cheap to live i.e. california is probably out. I know that it a lot of requirements and I know I probably won't find a place that fits all of it but I just wanted to throw everything out there that I could. So let me know what you think would be a good place for me. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:21 PM

47 posts, read 103,427 times
You sound like a Pacific Northwest person! Not sure, but do you lose some of the cloudiness if you go a little inland?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:42 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Perhaps eastern Pennsylvania. You could live close to Philadelphia, but inland. You aren't to far from the ocean or Chesapeake Bay either. You take trips to the Poconos too.

Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Connecticut might work too. Can't forget Maryland, Virginia, Delaware or even the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM

3,035 posts, read 2,467,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps eastern Pennsylvania. You could live close to Philadelphia, but inland. You aren't to far from the ocean or Chesapeake Bay either. You take trips to the Poconos too.

Massachusetts, New Hampshire or Connecticut might work too. Can't forget Maryland, Virginia, Delaware or even the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.
Yeah, I was thinking somewhere inland in Pennsylvania would work well.

If you wouldn't mind having to travel for saltwater fishing or the cloudiness, the upper Great Lakes (Michigan, Wisconsin) would work well too.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,331,524 times
What are you majoring in? That way you can choose areas that cater to your profession

Old 08-18-2011, 05:41 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
I know it's kind of an off-the-wall recommendation given your early choices but think you might want to consider South Carolina. Clemson University in particular offers excellent graduate-level Architecture and Landscape programs. The Clemson area (near the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains) is surrounded by forest and lakes, and is close enough to the Atlantic Coast (4 hours) for a day trip. The cost of living is also quite low which is an important consideration for grad school.

Visitors : Clemson University
Graduate Programs : Clemson University
Graduate Students : Clemson University

Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 AM

56,737 posts, read 81,038,544 times
If you are majoring in Architecture, Syracuse University and Cornell University are a couple of the best in that regard. I believe the University of Cincinnati is(or was) highly regarded in that field of study as well.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:42 AM

13,241 posts, read 24,450,303 times
Spokane, WA-Coeur d'Alene, ID.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:35 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,229,039 times
Eugene (U. of Oregon) or Corvallis (Oregon State), whichever has the better architecture program.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,573,384 times
I think the area of western NC/ Eastern Tenn fits most of your preferences. It's not right on the ocean but it's a lot closer to it than Colorado. Also, the OP said he was conservative so PNW might not bbe the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or