Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:46 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
SF didn't even make the top ten gayest cities list. Being gay in SF is more of a political thing. Historically, SF was the pioneer in fighting for gay rights. In other cities like DC and Atlanta, being gay is very much ingrained into the lifestyle of the whole city. In DC, you have teenagers from the ghetto who shop at the same upscale stores as gay men in neighborhoods like Dupont Circle. This year, a mob of teens robbed the G-Star Raw store in the gayborhood of Dupont Circle in DC. Kids in SF ghettos would never do that. Most kids in SF ghettos still wear huge baggy jeans and shirts and distance themselves from gay culture completely. Look at how these kids are dressed, some of them wearing spandex sleeveless shirts and super-tight jeans. This type of fashion does not fly for straight men, especially in the ghetto, in many cities.

http://bossip.com/330910/top-10-gaye...-the-cut12006/
what you said about dc is very true about nyc. In nyc all types of people shop in soho which is known as a huge place for gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 11:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
That you can't live in Miami without speaking Spanish. ...11 years and running and I DON'T speak Spanish. I think it's harder to NOT speak English in Miami.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The worst stereotype abut my city (Victoria, Texas) and all other cities in south Texas, is that you can't get a job if you don't speak Spanish. The fact is, bilingualism is almost never a condition of employment, but in some fields where there is customer contact, it is considered an asset.

I keep hoping I can practice Spanish to improve mine, but nobody wants to speak Spanish with me. They always prefer English, partly because their English is better than my Spanish, and then English is easier for them, too. Those who cannot speak English better than my Spanish, are eager to learn to do so, and prefer the practice opportunity for themselves.

In the supermarket or the bank or restaurant, even if both the customer and the employee are clearly Hispanic and can both speak Spanish fluently, business is always conducted only in English. The exception might be in a place like an auto parts store, where the customer might not know all the English technical terms for auto repair.

Spanish is not used by pressing 2 in order to let Hispanics dominate American linguistics. It is done so the business communication can be done effectively in a language understood by both people involved in the transaction. Which is good business practice, and effective communications in a mutually understood language without wasting time with misunderstandings is seen as a good and profitable thing by the free market.

I did nave an amusing experience the other day, though. I was chatting with a lady at the bus stop who could not speak English, and when I got on the bus, I forgot how to speak English to the driver.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-19-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
NYC is a dangerous place. In reality NYC is one of safest largest cities in the USA.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:46 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,827,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
nyc - 100 percent buildings and apartments

nyc - trash everywhere
Word

Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
NYC is a dangerous place. In reality NYC is one of safest largest cities in the USA.
It still has very dangerous places.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
nyc - 100 percent buildings and apartments

nyc - trash everywhere
NYC - Full of rude people

NYC-full of only rich people (like me always countin stacks)

NYC-full of beggers and homeless

Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
theirs no such thing as a safe city. every city in this world their are safe parts and bad parts. All this shows is that you have no respect for people who live in ghettos and choose to ignore them.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jamaica,Queens boy View Post
NYC - Full of rude people

NYC-full of only rich people (like me always countin stacks)

NYC-full of beggers and homeless
i love the stereotypes people make when we win a pole. Like if we win a fashion pole. the haters start saying that us new yorkers swear that every new yorker can dress.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
That we are all bisexual, tree hugging communists. At least that's the stereotype within the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.