U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 AM

292 posts, read 591,822 times

Advertisements

This question is totally a matter of opinion and personal preferance and is kind of a fun question to answer although this question may not be as fun for younger people to answer. So the older you are the more fun this question should be to answer.

Here in Seattle I would say that the best decade to be living here was the 90's. I especially enjoyed and loved the early 90's and the mid 90's. I also loved the 80's here in Seattle very much. Living in Seattle in 2011 is not bad. However, I think that Seattle used to be a much better and much more special city than it is now. Some of you may feel the same about your city. Then again, maybe not.

Last edited by FantasyFootballGuy; 08-20-2011 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 05:09 PM

63 posts, read 60,013 times
I imagine Seattle in the 90s was awesome...

For NY, there are pros and cons. The 80s through the mid 90s the crime was sky high, but it was more of a "real NY" feel. A lot of people think nowadays it's been turned into a disney type of city and really polished up compared to the past. But then again, you really don't have to think twice about walking around 90% of the city late at night. I remember when I was walking around Chelsea as a little kid in the late 80s, it was pretty scary and my mom didn't like to take me out at night. Nowadays, you can walk around any neighborhood and you're fine.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 PM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Right now is the best time to be living in the Washington, D.C. area compared to any time in the last 40 years. Maybe that's why it has become such a hot destination for transplants from other places.

Not that DC was really that bad in the past. There were always nice parts to the city. But still, in the 90s it definitely had a reputation for crime, "murder capital" and such, that made it somewhat embarrassing to admit you were from D.C. But not anymore.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,143,318 times
Based on the architecture, I'd assume it was the 60's and 70's for Minneapolis-St. Paul. It looks like half the major infrastructure of the city went up during that period of time -- must have been quite a "hey day" back then! (I wasn't born yet).

For Cleveland -- again, based on the architecture -- I'd assume the 20's were prominant for the city. So much of this city was built PRIOR to 1930 and then it almost abruptly stops and there is a small fringe of "newer" suburbs and whatnot. But the bulk of the city is old and well-crafted.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 PM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,189,929 times
For Fort Worth, probably the previous decade.

After downtown took a direct hit from a tornado in 2000, it quickly bounced back, with The Tower (formerly Bank One Tower) taking a direct hit. The building was scheduled for demo, but saved and is now the tallest residential building in Tarrant County.

Also, the city saw a major jump in population, going from around 534,000 in 2000 to ove 740,000 in 2010. The city-burb of Arlington saw a new facility taking up the skyline, Cowboys Stadium, which brought the team, the Cotton Bowl, Super Bowl, and other major events to OUR side of the Metroplex.... for once.

In the pop culture bracket, the south Ft. Worth suburb of Burleson brought us the first American Idol (Kelly Clarkson) and MTV's My Life As Liz. And (just showing some school pride) North Crowley High alumni Jason Fox went to The U, later drafted to the Detroit Lions, 2008 grad and McDonnald's All-American Willie Warren went to OU, later drafted by the L.A. Clippers, Joshua "Batman" Allen won the 4th season of So You Think You Can Dance? (GO PANTHERS!) The TCU Horned Frogs Football program came back into competition and the national spotlight after years of mediocre to horrid play. Baseball team also gainned some national attention by making it to the CWS for the first time ever.

The Barnett Shale that the city sits on top of was tapped, driving the economy for the city. A new minor league baseball park was built where the original park once stood, bringing pro baseball back to Fort Worth. A new, bold plan to expand downtown to the north, creating an Uptown featuring a small urban lake, waterfront property, river walks, parks, retal and more office space, called the Trinity River Vision. It has begun...

Fort Worth was named as one of America's safest/most livable communites and 17 neighborhoods were selected for urban renewal in the Urban Village Development Program in order to bring people back into the city and end sprawl. So far, 2 of the 17 historic (and very valuable) neighborhoods have already started re-building, while the other 15 are still in planning phases or just now starting to rebuild.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 PM

449 posts, read 819,805 times
For Atlanta, I have to say both the 60's and now. The 60's was the period of time where Atlanta transformed from being a sleepy Southern city into a city of national prominence. The skyline and expressway system as we know it today, largely had its beginnings in the 60's. Atlanta also avoided much of the violence and strife that engulfed many Southern cities during the Civil Rights Movement.

I also say today because of the gentrification, and the return of residents to the city proper. Because of the growth of the residential population, the retail developments are keeping pace.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,923,494 times
The 80s was a fantastic time to be living in southern California,and from everything I've heard so were the 60s and 70s. I arrived in the 80s, and life was so creative and relaxed back then. It was easy to make friends and find dates, and there seemed to be a never ending variety of things to do or at least amuse you. What a great place to spend my 20s.

I like living in northern VA (near DC) in this decade, because there's a lot going on and the growth is kind of exciting (although it can be aggravating, too, especially when construction jams up traffic). I also lived in northern VA in the 1960s and it was a little boring for me. So I think 2000-2010 was probably the best one for Nova.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 PM

88 posts, read 107,135 times
I'm pretty young, almost 30, so I'd have to say growing up in Atlanta in the 1990's. The city/metro area was alive during the decade, so much growth, so many events happened. From the Braves starting their epic run culminating in a championship in 1995 to hosting the Super Bowl and of course the biggest event the Olympics in 1996. Crime started going down, we weren't the murder capital of the country by the end of the decade. Jobs were plentiful by the mid and especially late 90s, I remember many places offering signing bonuses which was very attractive as a teenager looking for more than minimum wage. I know the economy was better in general most places but especially there which led to so many people moving in. The area got bigger, became even more of a player in the national discussion. I know a lot of Atlantans didn't like that but I enjoyed living there then, it was a fun time.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,021,840 times
The 1970s. Enough left over hippie vibe and AIDS hadn't hit yet.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 PM

160 posts, read 267,190 times
Philadelphia is on the upswing, I'm glad to be a resident while it's still up-and-coming. Lot's of exciting development and things to do, but just enough grittiness to make it super interesting.

That being said, I'm sure it would've been pretty hoppin' when it was still the nation's capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or