Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,093 times

Advertisements

I remember back in Atlanta, I mostly remember people talk about L.A, N.Y.C, and Chicago, when they talked about places they dreamed of going. When they talked about places they were going it was mostly Miami, Charlotte, or Nashville/Memphis/Birmingham( the last three pretty equally).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyFootballGuy View Post
Do people in Hartford talk about Providence, Rhode Island at all?
Actually sometimes. Sometimes people mentioned other city within Connecticut like New Haven. Since everything is so close by driving.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
I've only been here for a little less than a year, but I hear Chattanooga, Savannah and Charlotte mentioned in Atlanta. Greenville, SC, DC, Miami and Nashville are also on that short list.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:58 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,183 times
NYC: People there don't even acknowledge any other city. Miami would be the only city that *might* be on the radar, but only because of the nightlife and warm weather. Chicago is considered a second rate city, LA isn't a real city (just a huge suburb) and Philly is not even on any NYers radar.

Philly: People in Philly *rarely* venture north of I-195 in NJ. Fact. Only other city Philly people talk about- Atlantic City. Philly is a very provincial city.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 PM

291 posts, read 688,995 times
Phish Head - You hit the nail right on the head with your comments. Good stuff. Oh and I have been to a Phish Concert

Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
People from Rochester seem to love New York City, Buffalo and Toronto.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 PM

291 posts, read 688,995 times
New Haven is supposed to have a great burger joint. I actually believe that it's the oldest burger place in America. So they were basically the ones who invented hamburgers.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
Thank u footballguy. Id like to get there soon. I hate flying but ill get over it

Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Hmm, interesting.

For Chicago I'm not really sure, there isn't a hard and fast answer. What I hear come up most often as far as somewhere to visit or hearing about where people just were, I suppose it would be something like Vegas, New Orleans and "Europe". I know Europe isn't a city obviously, but as far as my friends and coworkers, most of them take trips to Europe more than anywhere else. NYC is also a place people would run back and forth to for an east, cheap weekend getaway. Lots to do, people already know how to use trains, it's also on a grid, you don't need a car.

Otherwise up into Wisconsin or Michigan are probably the most popular vacation spots within 2 hours.

Growing up in Iowa, I think Chicago was EASILY the top of the cake, probably followed by Minneapolis and then NYC as far as where people went on vacation. Throw Vegas in there as well.

I think when people go on vacation normally, there are two types. Vacations where you rent a car and do scenic driving around a region, and then city vacations. The #1 thing I look for in a city vacation is where I can go and not need a car for anything. It really narrows it down for a lot of people. NYC, San Fran, Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, Vegas, DC.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
NYC: People there don't even acknowledge any other city.
Actually, that has not been my experience. A lot of New Yorkers I've talked to like D.C., for example. They seem to consider it a decent city to live in.

I'm talking about "regular" New Yorkers of course. I don't know about the fat cats who live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.