Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 PM

291 posts, read 685,989 times

Advertisements

Living here in Seattle, it seems like everybody here loves San Francisco, Boston, and San Diego. This is probably because these 3 cities are all similar to Seattle. I am unlike most Seattle people in that I don't care for San Francisco, Boston, and San Diego. I spent lots of time in San Francisco while living there and spent time in San Diego while living in Palm Desert. I only went to Boston once to see a game at Fenway. I like Los Angeles way better than San Francisco and San Diego, and I like New York way better than Boston! So I am the opposite of most Seattle people.

Living in Seattle makes me like cities that are different from Seattle. Keep in mind that I am not just talking about the cities themselves but am also talking about the people when I say similar cities. I also realize that this is just my own opinion, preference, and perception. It's pointless for me to like or be interested in cities that are similar to Seattle. I also dislike San Francisco, Boston, and San Diego because I am sick of listening to Seattle people talk about them and hype them up. It gets really old and annoying. Las Vegas is another place that annoys me and that I get sick of hearing about. I also dislike Boston because I am a Yankees fan and Lakers fan. So I hate the Red Sox and Celtics. I also hate the Patriots. Lol.

I enjoy listening to people talk about places like Charleston, South Carolina and Savannah, Georgia and Miami, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. These are all places that are more different compared to Seattle and these are all places that you never hear about in Seattle because people here are too busy talking about how much they love Obama, and how much they love San Francisco, Boston, and San Diego. Also, don't even get me going on how annoying it is to see so many Seattle people wearing Boston Red Sox hats and gear. The Obama stickers on peoples cars also annoy the crap out of me but don't get me going on that either. Lol.

So what are the 3 most popular cities in your city? For example, if you live in Philadelphia maybe the 3 most popular cities in Philly are New York, Washington D.C., and Miami. That was just an example. I have no idea what Philly people love and hate. It's always funny because a place like San Diego can be really popular in Seattle and then in New York maybe nobody gives a crap about San Diego and would rather talk about Miami or Los Angeles. Las Vegas seems to be the most consistently popular city across the United States. Everywhere you go you always hear someone talking about "Vegas" which annoys me but it's understandable.

Last edited by FantasyFootballGuy; 08-23-2011 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,699,741 times
I never heard Philadelphians speak much about any city. Really if they're talking about going out of town for a quick getaway its to NYC, Jersey,DC.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,699,741 times
By the way your view of Seattle is interesting because Ive always wanted to visit Seattle. One day I will.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 PM

27,231 posts, read 28,302,028 times
Interesting question. Surprisingly enough, in the Washington, D.C. area, I haven't noticed that any cities getting talked about more so than others. You would think that people would talk a lot about New York City since it's the big gorilla only 4 hours away. But actually, most people hardly do.

Of course, there are lots of transplants in the D.C. area. And they will usually talk about the city they grew up in or went to college in. But that's pretty evenly spread out. Baltimore, Philadelphia, Miami, Los Angeles, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, San Francisco, Denver, New Orleans and lots of other cities, including foreign cities get talked about regularly.

People living in the D.C. area also travel a lot. So, they'll discuss those cities they visit as well.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 08-23-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 06:35 PM

You should visit Seattle. It's a great city overall. If you have any questions about Seattle you can feel free to ask me. I sometimes have a unique way of looking at things but at the same time I of course also like some of the same things that many other people like.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM

We have lots of transplants here in Seattle too but not nearly as many as Washington, D.C.! That would be one of the cool and unique things about living in D.C. because of the diverse group of people.

Last edited by FantasyFootballGuy; 08-23-2011 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 PM

27,231 posts, read 28,302,028 times
I haven't been to Seattle. But it is talked about in the D.C. area. The people I know who have been to Seattle, and Vancouver and Victoria in Canada describe them as wonderful and dreamlike places. Even mythological. lol.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,825,530 times
Being in Hartford here, most people talk about NYC or Boston and that's it. I can't really name a third.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Do people in Hartford talk about Providence, Rhode Island at all?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia are awesome! Vancouver might be the best and most beautiful city in North America and Victoria might be the best and most beautiful "small city" in North America. I would rather live in Vancouver than Seattle but I can't because I have 3 DUI's. DUI's are a felony in Canada so they pretty much don't even want to let me in the country even though I quit drinking and I would not use a car up there. I would love to live in Victoria too. Seattle is fun as a football fan because we have the Seahawks and Washington Huskies who both play in great stadiums that are lots of fun. Other than football I would take Vancouver over Seattle any day of the week. I would probably choose Victoria over Seattle too. However, Victoria is much smaller than Seattle so I would probably get more bored living in Victoria than I would in Seattle. Vancouver is sure awesome though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.