U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:07 AM

12 posts, read 23,222 times

Advertisements

Dear Americans and Canadians,

I'm a Dutch guy and I have always wanted to live a real western/country lifestyle. I've visited the "West" now several times and Montana and Wyoming are my favorites. Also I've visited Canada and Alberta is more or less like Montana and I also liked it very much there. Now my question is: what would be the best place for me to live, Montana/Wyoming or Alberta.
Eventually I would need a job but it doesn't have to be high paying.
I'm Dutch. My English is good. I'm not religious like most Dutch. I'm open minded. I'm liberal thinking but I think Holland is a bit too liberal in my opinion. I like nature/animals.
Where would I fit in best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,242,745 times
I think you're going to need to provide a great deal more information about yourself, your budget, what type of amenities you want in a city, etc., before you will get any answers. Your inquiry is far too vague.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 PM

9,434 posts, read 18,347,278 times
Montana, Wyoming and Alberta are all pretty conservative, but Alberta most likely offers a bit more liberal pockets here and there, particularly around Edmonton. Also Alberta has job opportunities in larger cities like Calgary and Edmonton. Montana and Wyoming don't really have any big cities. That's not to say you wouldn't have other options as Missoula, MT and Bozeman, MT are moderately liberal and job opportunities largely depends on what your field of work is. Even though Montana and Wyoming are more conservative than many other states, Wyoming being the most conservative, I honestly feel most of the American west is a fairly live and let live environment.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 PM

I've got enough money to buy buy a nice house in the country with some acreage because that's want I want, to live in the country, not the city. I'm the outdoors type so I will not be needing many amenities in a town or city, just to do some decent grocery shopping, I'll be in the woods most of my free time. I don't really care what political views or religion people have I just want to be able to make some friends. I'm an easy going person and so far all the people I've met in the USA and in Canada were very friendly and very positive towards Dutch people. I just know that being on vacation or actually living there is very different.
Also I've heard that quite some Americans are very religious and go to church every sunday and that if you're not a member of a church you won't fit in. I want to fit in and I want to be able to connect with the people and to be a part of a community, just not through religion.
Live and let live sounds good to me. Everybody should be able to express their opinions but should also respect other opinions and views.
I just want to know what it's really like living there. I've been there, I know it's cold in the winter. I know that nature there is spectacular, that's part of the reason I want to move. If you need more information, just ask but I think you get the picture of what I'm looking for.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 PM

570 posts, read 1,145,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMarc View Post
I've got enough money to buy buy a nice house in the country with some acreage because that's want I want, to live in the country, not the city. I'm the outdoors type so I will not be needing many amenities in a town or city, just to do some decent grocery shopping, I'll be in the woods most of my free time. I don't really care what political views or religion people have I just want to be able to make some friends. I'm an easy going person and so far all the people I've met in the USA and in Canada were very friendly and very positive towards Dutch people. I just know that being on vacation or actually living there is very different.
Also I've heard that quite some Americans are very religious and go to church every sunday and that if you're not a member of a church you won't fit in. I want to fit in and I want to be able to connect with the people and to be a part of a community, just not through religion.
Live and let live sounds good to me. Everybody should be able to express their opinions but should also respect other opinions and views.
I just want to know what it's really like living there. I've been there, I know it's cold in the winter. I know that nature there is spectacular, that's part of the reason I want to move. If you need more information, just ask but I think you get the picture of what I'm looking for.
This really depends on what part of the US you're in. In some places, the social fabric is held together by church/religion and it is hard to make friends if you're not of that church, etc. I have not personally encountered that in this country, but I do know it exists. However, some places are very 'live and let live' - Idaho & Maine come to mind. Just reading through some of the threads on the individual state's boards can give you a feel, even though it certainly isn't representative of the whole state.
At any rate, glad you're coming to North America, good luck with your search!

Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,993,695 times
Countrymarc ~

You might have more difficulty "moving" to Canada than to the states. Criteria is stricter.

Are you a single man? Or do you have a family? You should check into very important needs like healthcare (accessibility in both nations). Since you seem very flexible to living in either Canada or the states, perhaps other issues like healthcare, and employment, could secure a decision. Right now lack of jobs are terrible in many states.

Also, I think Canadians are overall a little happier with their government than Americans, which could affect your sense of well-being. Taxes in general are higher in Canada (so I've been told numerous times).

Good luck. I think you'll make a good choice.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:10 PM

21,202 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Countrymarc ~

You might have more difficulty "moving" to Canada than to the states. Criteria is stricter.

Are you a single man? Or do you have a family? You should check into very important needs like healthcare (accessibility in both nations). Since you seem very flexible to living in either Canada or the states, perhaps other issues like healthcare, and employment, could secure a decision. Right now lack of jobs are terrible in many states.

Also, I think Canadians are overall a little happier with their government than Americans, which could affect your sense of well-being. Taxes in general are higher in Canada (so I've been told numerous times).

Good luck. I think you'll make a good choice.
I think he'll have a more difficult time moving to the US versus Canada. Since 9/11 it's virtually impossible to secure a US visa. If one is able to score high enough on the Canadian entrance criteria (job qualifications, educational attainment and cash reserves) it's not so much an issue. Also while taxes are higher in Canada one reaps benefits such as healthcare benefits. I think either Calgary or Edmonton would be good options for the OP.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,601,127 times
Well, hold your horses. How do you intend to legally live in the US or Canada?

You can't just arrive at the airport with a one-way ticket and stay. You need to have an immigrant visa to do so - and they aren't exactly easy to get. You either need to find a company that will sponsor you for permanent residency, find a company that would be willing to transfer you to their US office (provided they have one), or be married to a US citizen or LPR (this is for the US; I don't know Canadian immigration regulations).

Without a visa, you will be granted 90 days (as you probably know since you are allowed a Visa Waiver). If you apply for a visitor visa, you will get 180 days. That's it. You are not allowed to work with such a visa but you can purchase property, of course. Immigration will also limit how many times a year you can enter - in other words, perpetual tourism is not an option, either.

Thus, while it's certainly nice to dream about a life in the West, you need to make sure that you can actually make this a reality. Otherwise, you are just wasting time trying to figure out what location would best fit you without ever being able to move there.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Yes, I understand that it is difficult to enter the USA. Canada is indeed easier to get in so I've read but still difficult.
But now my question is: how do all those first-generation asians(and other immigrants) get into Canada/US who don't even speak proper English (no offense)?, and there are many. Do they all have phd's in rocket science or whatever, or are they all rich? I have my own company back in Holland with 10 employees working for me. I'm not the poorest guy in Holland. I have studies. I speak 6 languages including English and French(although it's a little rusty). Holland has good relations with both Canada and the US so that should make it easier to get in, shouldn't it?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM

21,949 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMarc View Post
Yes, I understand that it is difficult to enter the USA. Canada is indeed easier to get in so I've read but still difficult.
But now my question is: how do all those first-generation asians(and other immigrants) get into Canada/US who don't even speak proper English (no offense)?, and there are many. Do they all have phd's in rocket science or whatever, or are they all rich? I have my own company back in Holland with 10 employees working for me. I'm not the poorest guy in Holland. I have studies. I speak 6 languages including English and French(although it's a little rusty). Holland has good relations with both Canada and the US so that should make it easier to get in, shouldn't it?
There are several ways that you can get admitted to Canada. There is the immigrant investor program, for which you need quite a bit of cash. There is the skilled worker program, and there are programs for people from other countries who have studied at a Canadian university and who want to stick around post-graduation. There are also "family reunion-type" programs, by which one family member already landed in Canada can sponsor other family members so that they can come to Canada as well.

Some people are also admitted to Canada as refugees and end up staying permanently.

As for language, it is not an essential criteria to know English and/or French, but it will get you points on your "score" when your application is being considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or