Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Indeed, that's why I put the caveat in there "when consider where they are located and how many tourists they get..."
I don't quite understand what you mean by that. There are many regions in France and Spain that tourists don't typically visit and the people there certainly don't get to talk to tourists every day. I grew up in the Netherlands, a tiny country that gets millions of tourists every year, but since I live in the eastern countryside I have never encountered foreign tourists there (except for a few Germans). These people don't know English because they speak it with tourists, they know it because they learnt it in school or elsewhere. It's no different from an American learning a foreign language. Of course, I understand that Americans and Canadians generally don't travel abroad as much as Europeans do. That's why I compared it to an American speaking Spanish or a Canadian speaking French, since these are languages most Americans/Canadians are familiar with. In fact, I'd argue the average American living in a state like California will encounter more Spanish-speaking people than the average Frenchmen encounters English-speaking tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
A lot of Americans vastly overestimate their own linguistic abilities. They think being able to order off a menu or buy train tickets in a foreign language makes them fluent in it.
I think there is a lot of truth in this.... I can get directions, order, say hello etc etc in Spanish, French ( Learnt them both at school) Italian and German. If someone asked me what languages I speak I say English. As a European I would not want to embarrass myself by saying a speak a language when I only know a hundred or so words.... and therefore clearly can't speak it !!

My husband speaks French, German and English... fluently.. but after a day or so in italy his italian improves from school level to chit chat level..... he would never say he speaks Italian though because he doesn't consider his 2/300 words make him competent.....

Old 08-29-2011, 05:52 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,142,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I think part of it is financial ability and part is sheer disinterest. The average US household barely gets by.
The financial part I agree with, but not the disinterested part. I only know two people who have stated they have little interest in traveling. The vast majority would love to, but simply cannot afford it. Most people I know are working to lower middle class, as there's where I reside.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Since when is ok cupid a representation of the average person?
Show us the results of a better survey.

A sample is a sample. Any sample is statistically valid, if there is no characteristic within the sample that would select out certain responses or skew the data. You show us that female respondents to OKCupid are more or less likely than the general population to be multilingual, and I will regard your evidence as a legitimate cause for a wider margin for error.

============

As for the reason Americans do not travel abroad, the main one, in my opinion, is that American do not get enough paid vacation time to get further than Orlando.

It is very rare to find an American who gets 4 weeks vacation, and very few get three weeks. Many don't even get two until they have been on the job for a couple of years. In most European countries, the minimum is four weeks, even in the first year of employment, and a lot of people of young traveling age already get 6 or 7 weeks with pay every year.

Also, American students can't afford to travel, because they have to work through the summer earning their $20K per year it takes to go to college, while in a lot of European countries, higher education is virtually free.

I lived in Antiqua, Guatemala, for nearly a year, which is a popular destination for international students to take an intensive course in Spanish. I saw hundreds, possibly thousands pass through. I would be very surprised if 10% of them were Americans, even though an American wanting to study Spanish could literally get there on a bus. Nearly all had flown over from Europe, to study Spanish as a 3rd or 4th or 5th language.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-29-2011 at 06:53 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 02:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Since when is ok cupid a representation of the average person?
I wondered that too, but figured I was probably too geriatric to be in the know. Locking crutches with someone is about all Cupid seems to find OK for me.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 AM

869 posts, read 1,124,668 times
arabic should be mandatory in school in the US

it can be a life saver once you get lost in your humvee in the middle east after an invasion

Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Show us the results of a better survey.

A sample is a sample. Any sample is statistically valid, if there is no characteristic within the sample that would select out certain responses or skew the data. You show us that female respondents to OKCupid are more or less likely than the general population to be multilingual, and I will regard your evidence as a legitimate cause for a wider margin for error.

============

As for the reason Americans do not travel abroad, the main one, in my opinion, is that American do not get enough paid vacation time to get further than Orlando.

It is very rare to find an American who gets 4 weeks vacation, and very few get three weeks. Many don't even get two until they have been on the job for a couple of years. In most European countries, the minimum is four weeks, even in the first year of employment, and a lot of people of young traveling age already get 6 or 7 weeks with pay every year.

Also, American students can't afford to travel, because they have to work through the summer earning their $20K per year it takes to go to college, while in a lot of European countries, higher education is virtually free.

I lived in Antiqua, Guatemala, for nearly a year, which is a popular destination for international students to take an intensive course in Spanish. I saw hundreds, possibly thousands pass through. I would be very surprised if 10% of them were Americans, even though an American wanting to study Spanish could literally get there on a bus. Nearly all had flown over from Europe, to study Spanish as a 3rd or 4th or 5th language.
Most of the women on ok cupid express a strong desire to travel to exotic locations, while to alot of people here 'exotic' means going to Bali with about a million other Aussies. Ok cupid is for 'hip' people, compared to say match.com or plenty of fish which show what the average Jack or Jill is like.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't quite understand what you mean by that. There are many regions in France and Spain that tourists don't typically visit and the people there certainly don't get to talk to tourists every day. I grew up in the Netherlands, a tiny country that gets millions of tourists every year, but since I live in the eastern countryside I have never encountered foreign tourists there (except for a few Germans). These people don't know English because they speak it with tourists, they know it because they learnt it in school or elsewhere. .
True, but most people in these non-touristed areas of France and Spain would tend to speak their own language only. People who speak English as a second language in these countries are found disproportionately in the more heavily-touristed areas.

The Netherlands are not a good comparison, as they (like the Scandinavian countries) have a high level of English proficiency in their countries, due to a variety of factors which are not necessarily tourism-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It's no different from an American learning a foreign language. Of course, I understand that Americans and Canadians generally don't travel abroad as much as Europeans do. That's why I compared it to an American speaking Spanish or a Canadian speaking French, since these are languages most Americans/Canadians are familiar with. In fact, I'd argue the average American living in a state like California will encounter more Spanish-speaking people than the average Frenchmen encounters English-speaking tourists.
I will not dispute that Americans and English-speaking Canadians do very poorly when it comes to second-language learning.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I have seen this stuff before and have always found it to be grossly unfair. You could ambush random people on the street anywhere in the world, ask them questions out the blue on topics they know nothing about, edit out the minority of smart ones, and make any nationality look stupid.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 AM

63 posts, read 81,671 times
Americans in general are the least cultured people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.