U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 04:43 PM

52 posts, read 51,252 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and I want to thank you guys for taking your time to read this as I'm pretty undecided right now.

I'm a recent HS Grad and I have aspirations to potentially become a police officer. My parents are moving away, I don't really like the area I live in right now, however I've been planning to move for quite some time now, as I have 2.5k in the bank for the move. You live one time in this world, and I don't want to stay here and waste my time here..

Anyhow, I want to go to college out of state, but seriously the prices are BEYOND ridiculous for out of state tuition, and I really don't want to stay in Pennsylvania(No disrespect to Pennsylvanians.. to each his own).

I plan to head to a new place, get a job as a Security Guard, rent a studio apartment, and just save money and build until I have the money to attend academy. I was planning to move to New York, and still pretty much am, and have my sights set in Queens, where my uncle lives, but people keep moving out as the cost of living is ridiculous for those who have children. I have no children, no ties, no bad credit, so I could do it, but in the long run, I really don't want to break my heart and move away just because it costs too much.

Now to the POINT. I've been considering quite a few places I could head to and start a new life in, but I want to plan ahead so I don't head somewhere and get screwed.

Once I gain residence in whatever state I move to, I plan to go to community college there, and then move up to University.

I just am not too fond of paying 7-800/m for a studio in Queens when I could be getting a 1 or even 2BR somewhere else for that much.

Things to consider:

*I enjoy.. actually, LOVE the cold. However, anything below 25 bugs me.
* I need a rather urban environment. I like a city.
* I don't really like the southeastern states besides Florida.
* I would love a place with a great metro system

I've heard Denver is a no brainer, Buffalo is a great choice, and I've heard things about Arizona and Seattle.

Recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 05:51 PM

Not really sure what to do here; I'm most likely moving to NYC but different areas have enticed me a bit and I'm just thinking here and would love some insight.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,356,752 times
First, it usually takes a year of residency to get instate tuition at most schools so keep that in mind. If you like Buffalo also think about Baltimore for UMD

Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 PM

56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
First, it usually takes a year of residency to get instate tuition at most schools so keep that in mind. If you like Buffalo also think about Baltimore for UMD
Also, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and maybe Cleveland too.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:18 PM

Right. I know I could afford a studio in NYC or Boston, but I mean.. it might be a better idea to go somewhere cheaper. I do plan to pay 2 months rent upfront, then begin working and live there for about a year or two, and then attend school, as I'd get in state tuition at that point. Then everything holds into place.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,488,072 times
You want to be a cop? Join the military. It is the single best path into law enforcement.

Let me explain. Agencies often have college requirements...but most let you subsitiute military or corrections experience for that requirement. Military experience also gives you preference points on the exams, college and corrections do not. The other problem is college does not count as "life experience" that many agencies want while the military does. I know quite a few college graduates who cannot get into law enforcement because of this. Not to mention the skills you develop in the military (teamwork, discipline..etc) translate well to law enforcement.

That said, the military isn't for everyone. But it is likely the "best bet" for getting into law enforcement.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:21 AM

2,953 posts, read 6,145,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
You want to be a cop? Join the military. It is the single best path into law enforcement.

Let me explain. Agencies often have college requirements...but most let you subsitiute military or corrections experience for that requirement. Military experience also gives you preference points on the exams, college and corrections do not. The other problem is college does not count as "life experience" that many agencies want while the military does. I know quite a few college graduates who cannot get into law enforcement because of this. Not to mention the skills you develop in the military (teamwork, discipline..etc) translate well to law enforcement.

That said, the military isn't for everyone. But it is likely the "best bet" for getting into law enforcement.
Agreed.

Not only will you gain "real life experience" by taking the military route, you will earn the opportunity to have college paid for later on.

Start looking at the pros and cons of getting into police work by way of college. You have take out student loans to get the degree, and even if you are extremely frugal with your cost of living while in school, you'll come out in debt. Meanwhile, most smaller (cheaper) cities have a starting wage of entry level police around the $30k-$35K mark. This means once you start your career with cost of living plus studen loan debt, you're still having to maintain an extremely frugal way of living just to make ends meet.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM

56,700 posts, read 81,017,273 times
I agree with the last two posts and try to look at getting stationed at Ft. Drum NY if you go the Army route. Plenty snow and it is where one of the most deployed units in the Army is located(10th Mtn. Division). I was stationed there and it is easy to get. Ft. Carson CO, Ft. Lewis WA and the bases in Alaska might work too.

Also, you can go to college first and either go into the military as an officer or go enlisted and get the Loan Repayment Program. I did the latter actually and the only thing is that you pay the interest and you might have to owe taxes a couple of years, as it is included as income eventhough you don't see that money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or