Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:20 AM

15 posts, read 48,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stat3man View Post
I find your post itself to express the rudeness and arrogance that you ascribe to Miamians. You imply that people here are uninformed and uninterested in what you consider to be the worthy activity of reading. I'd be curious to know whether or not you subscribe to The Miami Herald, and what magazines and books you have read lately. When was the last time you went to the public library? Last night, I attended a wonderful, well-attended event at the Miami Art Museum. The museum was open until 10, with hors d'oeuvres served all evening and intriguing artworks on display. Did you attend?

Pick whichever major city you'd like; I'd bet you'll be back in Miami in 5 years.
Stat3man,

He's not completely off the mark. While painting Miami/Miami Beach as a whole to be full of *******s is wrong and, I think you will agree, may come from never having lived anywhere else (I'll bet plenty of young adults in the Midwest may say they are sick of living in the town they grew up in for whatever the reason.)

Miami when compared to "real" (as in old, like Boston, New York, Philly etc.) cities is a place where you have to look long and hard to find someone that has read anything deeper than the latest Harry Potter book (which was GREAT, by the way.)

I suggest he go to New York and try living there for about a year or two. Or , a great place to live is the Washington D.C. area. In Any of those two places he can walk into a bar and quickly meet people who are well read, occasionally brilliant and always different. Of course that would depend on finances. If you think living in Miami is expensive, either of those two cities will crush you financially as will San Francisco or most of the Pacific Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 AM

440 posts, read 1,491,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Not to be rude, but you are the exception to the rule, as far as culture is concern in Miami. Most citizens of this city don't have much interest on cultural events, museums (who can blame them, our museums only have photo expositions), or world affairs. Our local news are filled with what Shack did, who Britney slept with and other news trash. We truly don't have much culture to offer.
Wow ... your post is dead on regarding the lack of culture in Miami and South Florida in general . Unlike many people on this forum I actually enjoy South Florida , but I do agree it is devoid of culture ... maybe good partying but minimal culture like NYC , Boston , Atlanta and even Houston .

Old 08-18-2007, 10:55 AM

440 posts, read 1,491,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmartin View Post
Hello everyone!

I've lived in Miami (specifically in the Kendall area) for a large majority of my life. I'm also from a small middle-class Hispanic family and can speak Spanish perfectly (so I've never had any trouble with the language barrier). Having said all that, I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of this place. The people here are obnoxious, rude, arrogant, self-obsessed and materialistic and I'm looking for a place where people feel the need to read a newspaper or a magazine (or at the least watch the news) and keep up with current events.

Anyway, the reason for which I haven't been able to leave yet has been completely financial. At the moment I'm living with my parents and am a full-time student at FIU. My goal is to get my Bachelors of Science degree within the next 2 years and attend Medical School. I've been looking at a USF in Tampa which honestly seems like a great school but I'm open to the idea of going out of state.

I guess my question for the people on this forum is, if you could leave (or have already left) Miami, where and why would you go (or have gone) there? I've talked to a few of my close friends and they all say New York is amazing but I'm looking for something a little more laid back. Thanks to everyone for their replies in advance!
Check out the Tampa / St.Pete / Clearwater areas ... it is growing and becoming upscale in many areas , beaches are beautiful ... job growth is on the rise , cost of living is lower and people are much friendlier and it has that 25 % of Hispanics which makes it really enjoyable , diverse and not a Hispanic mono - culture like Miami ... in other words it is what Miami / Ft.Lauderdale was like thirty years ago .

Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,657,087 times
If location does not matter, then why would someone rather swim in a swimming pool than a cesspool? Some areas are just bad. Could you imagine living in parts of Africa where famine and disease is prevalent? Just tell those people to change their attitudes and all will be fine. Attitudes come from environment, not just from within. In order to have a good attitude it is necessary to have some success and not just repeated failures. In an overcrowded place like south Florida with no real economy, it is easy to become discouraged.

Think of this, you are in your home in Miami and a Category 5 hurricane is heading right to you. Will your positive attitude help or will the storm come anyway? There are many things out of our control, and sometimes a move is just what is needed. Leave the cesspool for the people who love it.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,225,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
"HOOD"; high crime, ignorant people, cars driving cranking their stereos at 1:00 am during the weekday, rude neighbors.
Sadly that pretty much describes my neighborhood.

I would rather live in Miami than D.C. though...

Old 08-18-2007, 12:53 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,316,774 times
search some of my recent posts,I took a month road trip across much of America,saw alot of places,experienced different people,some photos included.Texas and Nashville rate high on my list for good places.I'm now in the Tampa area,I like it here way better than Miami.Denver was also a nice city.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:17 AM

4 posts, read 12,673 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I've lived in Miami (specifically in the Kendall area) for a large majority of my life. I'm also from a small middle-class Hispanic family and can speak Spanish perfectly (so I've never had any trouble with the language barrier). Having said all that, I can honestly say that I am sick and tired of this place. The people here are obnoxious, rude, arrogant, self-obsessed and materialistic and I'm looking for a place where people feel the need to read a newspaper or a magazine (or at the least watch the news) and keep up with current events.

Anyway, the reason for which I haven't been able to leave yet has been completely financial. At the moment I'm living with my parents and am a full-time student at FIU. My goal is to get my Bachelors of Science degree within the next 2 years and attend Medical School. I've been looking at a USF in Tampa which honestly seems like a great school but I'm open to the idea of going out of state.

I guess my question for the people on this forum is, if you could leave (or have already left) Miami, where and why would you go (or have gone) there? I've talked to a few of my close friends and they all say New York is amazing but I'm looking for something a little more laid back. Thanks to everyone for their replies in advance!

Hi there ,

I left Miami with my family June 2005, we live in Wake Forest North Carolina, we have great universities here. NC State, Chapill Hill, etc...Now think about the fact that you are living with your parents. That is a great relief since you are a fulltime student. That has a lot of advantages so you can concentrate on your studies. My older two girls live with grandma in Miami they go to the university there. Now I understand how you feel about Miami and that is the reason I left. You may get student loans and apply for financial aide. Yes New York is amazing, my daughter's friend has been there for 2 years, she lives with an older lady who rents out her room. She uses trains and the subway for transportation, and she has adjusted very well. This is a big step for you and I would seek advice from your parents, and do not do anything rash until you are completely sure of what you are going to do. Medical schools are great here , we have the RTP here Research Triangle Park, mostly medical and labs here. You can check it out for yourself just google it .

I pray everything will go well with you...
Ely

Old 10-14-2007, 09:21 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,499,414 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

cc: I lived in Miami when I was your age. My family lived in South Miami, I went to Columbus HS and my sister went to Palmetto, so I know the area you live in and understand where you are coming from.

For something really different and laid back, try the Midwest! I remember visiting Minneapolis for the first time as a 19 year old. It seemed so vibrant, clean, and laid back, and people seemed very rooted and proud of their community, as compared to Miami. People seemed more urbane, cultured and sophisticated to me. Decades later, here I am in the Twin Cities. I wouldn't think of moving back to South FL. Nothing against those who live there, I understand and respect the choices of those who live there and like it. I've just found there are better places in the US that suit my preferences, which seem similar to yours.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:39 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,628,593 times
A word of warning: I'm from Chicago and even I find the harsh weather of the Twin Cities to be, well... freezing.

I was thinking, 'Why would anyone not like Miami? It's warm and sunny, and I can think of a million things to do, also..." and then I realized that I was thinking only of myself. Sorry. I'm a permanent single. We do that.

Miami is actually a pretty good place, it just cannot seem to escape that college attitude.

Try Chicago or NYC if you want a dramatic shift in life. Try Chicago if you want people who will argue about anything at the drop of a hat and remember your name.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 12,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
A word of warning: I'm from Chicago and even I find the harsh weather of the Twin Cities to be, well... freezing.

I was thinking, 'Why would anyone not like Miami? It's warm and sunny, and I can think of a million things to do, also..." and then I realized that I was thinking only of myself. Sorry. I'm a permanent single. We do that.

Miami is actually a pretty good place, it just cannot seem to escape that college attitude.

Try Chicago or NYC if you want a dramatic shift in life. Try Chicago if you want people who will argue about anything at the drop of a hat and remember your name.
You are right...there is plenty to love about Miami...I miss the melting pot atmosphere...taking a short drive to the beach...having espresso in every corner of town...and well...you know what I mean...but there is plenty to not like, the guy that wants to run you over in Walmart cause a parking space is more important than a person walking with their kids and a cart full of food...the famous one finger salute when you might be going the speed limit, and not to mention the property taxes and insurance rates....at their record high....I love Miami cause that is my hometown, I miss it but Miami is not the Miami I grew up in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.