Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 PM

326 posts, read 470,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmartin View Post
The people here are obnoxious, rude, arrogant, self-obsessed and materialistic
How are people rude to you in south florida? I have been there a few times and most of the locals were very nice and sociable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 6,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
LoveMiami,

To a certain extent I have to disagree with you. Yes, I agree that one pretty much can change their outlook on life, be more positive etc. I also definitely believe in "Attitude", whether being a positive one or a negative one can really make a big difference in your happiness or lack of. However, where I disagree is that actually moving from an area, neighborhood, city, or even region is often necessary to better enjoy your life, peace of mind, and easily be more optimistic about life. For example, if you are use to living in a quiet, peaceful, civilized, caring, and educated neighborhood or town, and for whatever reason, you have to live in the "HOOD"; high crime, ignorant people, cars driving cranking their stereos at 1:00 am during the weekday, rude neighbors. Then the area that you once live at is gradually turning to what I described above, and before you know it, many of your surrounding areas are like this, yes a change may be necessary.

So even though this example is a bit extreme, sometimes moving out of an area or region to escape your problems is necessary and will help restore, a better attitude, happiness, and more peace of mind.

Great job observer! This is exactly my point! I'm sorry to see that so many of you guys missed the idea in my message. Also, I've been to other places in the world and I've been happier in those places. My question was simply for those who have left South Florida, where have they gone and have they enjoyed their experience in their new location.

I don't disrespect anyone who loves this city (and I'm sorry for those who took my comments personally), in fact, if you're happy here then I'm happy for you! I'm just saying that this isn't the place for me and that I'm looking for change. Thanks to those have replied so far by the way!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 6,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioely View Post
Hi there ,

I left Miami with my family June 2005, we live in Wake Forest North Carolina, we have great universities here. NC State, Chapill Hill, etc...Now think about the fact that you are living with your parents. That is a great relief since you are a fulltime student. That has a lot of advantages so you can concentrate on your studies. My older two girls live with grandma in Miami they go to the university there. Now I understand how you feel about Miami and that is the reason I left. You may get student loans and apply for financial aide. Yes New York is amazing, my daughter's friend has been there for 2 years, she lives with an older lady who rents out her room. She uses trains and the subway for transportation, and she has adjusted very well. This is a big step for you and I would seek advice from your parents, and do not do anything rash until you are completely sure of what you are going to do. Medical schools are great here , we have the RTP here Research Triangle Park, mostly medical and labs here. You can check it out for yourself just google it .

I pray everything will go well with you...
Ely
Very good points as well as a very polite response! Thank you for your insight and I agree with your 100%. Like I mentioned (see: title of post), I wouldn't be leaving Miami until about 2 years from now so basically I would be living in this new area for at least 4 years and yes, I will be considering all my financial options like financial aid, student loans, etc. etc. before making any life changing decisions. I've actually checked out the UNC Virtual Tour and the coursework seems very well structured however they should probably update their Campus Virtual Tour because it seems desolate and void of any social life.

I'd also like to thank anyone else who has provided great words of wisdom and it has given me a lot to think about!

God bless and take care everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.