Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

I am discussing major cities that are nearby to megacities (or perhaps high profile major cities)with huge metropolitan populations. My question here is what might be the future of these cities and will they fare better orwose than cities further removed from megacities?

Let me give some examples:

Milwaukee is about 90 miles away from Chicago. If its peer cities were Minneapolis, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Cleveland and Cincinnati. Does Milwaukee's location near Chicago prove advantagous to those other cities?

Baltimore is between Washington and Philadelphia, very close to both. Baltimore is also one of the five cities that makeup the northeast corridor. What does Baltimore's location say about its future when compared to Pittsburgh or Buffalo?

San Diego is, I believe, about 100 miles from LA. How does that affect SD's future compared to Portland or Phoenix?

So those are some examples. I'm not sure if there are others. I'm excluding the relationsip of cities in the same metro..."so I am not talking about SF/Oak/SJ or D/FW or M/SP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
I've lived in Milwaukee and Chicago both, and I feel it's a great advantage for Milwaukee to be so close to Chicago. I had friends, who bought condos in Milwaukee (cheaper), and came up to spend the week-ends in Milwaukee. I would never trade the proximity to Chicago. There is, and will be, a lot more growth between the two cities, and I see that as a benefit. Milwaukee has not lost its identity, and I know people who have taken jobs in Milwaukee, because they can enjoy Chicago, as well.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:50 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I feel like having Chicago so close to Milwaukee is definitely an advantage for us Milwaukeeans but it will always prevent it from becoming a city like Chicago. We may merge one day but we will never rival Chicago. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. They can have the recognition and traffic and we can take a train there in an hour and a half.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I feel like having Chicago so close to Milwaukee is definitely an advantage for us Milwaukeeans but it will always prevent it from becoming a city like Chicago. We may merge one day but we will never rival Chicago. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. They can have the recognition and traffic and we can take a train there in an hour and a half.
Milwaukee doesn't need to rival Chicago. It's too close for that, anyway. The cities will grow together, actually, they pretty much have, already. I loved the proximity...would not have been nearly as happy in a more isolated city. Milwaukee is the Midwest city that is the least isolated, due to Chicago. That's a good thing.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:38 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee doesn't need to rival Chicago. It's too close for that, anyway. The cities will grow together, actually, they pretty much have, already. I loved the proximity...would not have been nearly as happy in a more isolated city. Milwaukee is the Midwest city that is the least isolated, due to Chicago. That's a good thing.
I don't think it needs to rival Chicago either. I just think it's proximity rules it out. Farther flung cities like Denver have more "room" to grow because they're the only game in town. Like you, I don't want to be that isolated. Even if it does mean a city becomes more of a major city.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:14 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Chicago is the only city that is anywhere close to being a mega city, and for all intents and purposes, it is the 3rd mega city in the US.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:32 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
90 miles from Milwaukee to Chicago is close ? 1 hour 30 mins drive

Old 01-11-2018, 04:44 PM

311 posts, read 314,202 times
A major city being close to a megacity has always hampered the growth of the major city through virtually all of history. Cities with attractive characteristics grow better in isolation because they can establish their own identity and by extension the identify of their surrounding region. In a certain quantity of space, there can only be one alpha city, which generally relegates the other major city to subservient, even if still significant, status.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
90 miles from Milwaukee to Chicago is close ? 1 hour 30 mins drive
The city's MSAs run together...it's populated all the way from Milwaukee to Chicago.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:05 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
All my family (nephews, uncles, etc.) live in Milwaukee, and they are totally unconcerned with Chicago, and never ever go there for anyt reason. For all they know and care, Chicago could be a fictional place. Milwaukee is their city, and they love it or hate it for reasons of its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.