U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM

734 posts, read 1,468,270 times

Advertisements

So I was just curious as to what the drivers are like in cities across the world. Today it came to my attention that my current city, by far has the worst drivers out of any city I've been in for an extended period of time. I have lived here for nearly 5 months and have been involved in several close calls! I've also worked at a walgreens here for about three months and have already seen two wrecks in the parking lot. I really don't know what it is about these people, but it's insane! It's a town of only 23,000 people, but it seems as dangerous as a metropolitan area during rush hour. It's a college town but from what I've seen, it's not the college kids or the younger ones who are driving like idiots. It's the older adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,827,348 times
Almost every city believes they are home to the worst drivers. Which, mathmatically, can't be correct.

This topic is quite subjective, and there will never be a clear cut answer.

That having been said, among major cities, many will agree that Boston and Miami are high on the list, with Washington DC, Philly, NY right behind. Eastern Kansas, probably not so much.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 719 times
lex ky has its share of terrible drivers, not using turn signals, speeding, rude, not letting you move when you do signal, tail gating (people that like to stick their nose up your butt). Just racing to the next red light and it makes a big difference if one car gets in front of them. Running red lights, I see this 2 and 3 times every day on my short trip. Swerving in and out of lanes like a slolem. Sweden does have better drivers and it is nice to drive there. They pay so much for license and see driving as a privilage and take it serious. Traffic cams send drivers tickets in the mail if caught speeding through camera. And they dont have attorneys and drivers making money on wrecks. It cost so much to get a swedish license they take care of them. Most cars are standard transmissions, very few stop signs they use round a bouts or circles. Smaller pop. Lots of ice and snow. My personal opinion of places I have driven most in 40 years of driving.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
I've lived and driven in more cities in this country than I can count. I used to have a job that took me (by car) all over the country, and I can honestly say that, hands-down the WORST drivers were in Las Vegas. And no, I no longer live there. Looking back, no other city even came close to how bad it was (probably still is) there. Just a nightmare.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM

421 posts, read 467,258 times
Well insurance companies rank DC as the worst drivers. But I'm often told people think its houston. But...maybe I'm just used to it now

Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 PM

17,374 posts, read 21,223,392 times
Here in speedy Las Vegas, with our 45MPH speed limits on our major streets, where most drivers drive 55-60MPH, an average driver in this city wouldn't even so much as slow down if they saw their mothers crossing the streets here! Bam! Good-by Mom! Serves you right!

Old 08-06-2014, 06:56 AM

788 posts, read 1,051,329 times
Driving on the highway in Metro Detroit is just a nightmare some days. There is no in between. Either people are driving too slow for the flow of traffic or they are driving way over the speed limit to get around them.

Also, the concept of merging onto the highway is just lost on most people. People love driving 45-50 mph to merge into traffic going 70-80. Accident waiting to happen.

And people love zipping from the left lane over 2-3 lanes to the right because they just can't miss their exit. Yikes!

Also some people love to think that you can skip the right or left turn lane and just turn from the lane that you are in - w/out signalling.

In the suburb I'm in now, it can be perfectly clear in both right lanes and the person in front of me still won't make the right turn. I have no idea what they are waiting for. I just want to get my errands done and get home. In my old suburb, if you waited for it to be perfectly clear, then you'd never get out of a parking lot. It was just always packed on the major roads. And, people always seem to be confused about using the center turn lane to make a left.

I love driving in Ontario a lot better. People know if they drive crazy they'll be fined heavily and they risk getting their car taken away.

If I drive like I do here in Detroit in other parts of Michigna, I'm looked at like I'm a freak. People drive slower and are more respectful. However, if I drive slower and more respectfully here, then I'm just an accident waiting to happen.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:21 AM

421 posts, read 467,258 times
I think what makes Houston difficult is that we have some really aggressive drivers. Tons of normal, polite drivers too. But the aggressive driver is really terrifying when you are just minding your own business.

We also have a good bit of freeway racing happening. Seriously you are just driving down the freeway and two cars come out of no where weaving in and out as fast as they can go.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:13 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,206,269 times
Phoenix was the red light running fatality capital of the country several years in a row. I believe 19th Ave & Northern, 19th Ave & Dunlap and Camelback & Grand Ave were among the top ten most dangerous intersections in the country. They installed cameras about 10 years ago, not sure if it's helped or not.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:13 PM
ZTM

57 posts, read 78,766 times
South Florida is the worst with aggressive rude insane drivers. I hate this place and am moving to Las Cruces, NM. I hope it's better there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.