U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 PM

13,339 posts, read 13,502,193 times

Advertisements

In South Florida where I used to live, it was all about Top6 Haitian gang. Before that, there were loosely affiliated black drug gangs. Bloods and Crips are tiny in South Florida, all the dangerous gangs down there are homegrown. Most of Florida seems to be homegrown gangs doing all the terrorizing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM

2,907 posts, read 3,717,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
In South Florida where I used to live, it was all about Top6 Haitian gang. Before that, there were loosely affiliated black drug gangs. Bloods and Crips are tiny in South Florida, all the dangerous gangs down there are homegrown. Most of Florida seems to be homegrown gangs doing all the terrorizing.
Ditto. I heard a lot about Top6, they used to do major damage in Palm Beach County, The Zoes are big in Miami/Ft.Lauderdale. Florida isn't a major gang state, down here it's all about local/homegrown gangs.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,953,763 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Gangs wouldn't work in Jacksonville because it's everybody for himself here. We have loose crews that rep their hood/side of town. Jacksonville is too territorial of a city for a gang to set up shop here. It's about "getting money" in the Jacksonville ghetto, not killing someone over colors or turf.
That's exactly how DC is its basically neighborhood crews beefin with other neighborhood crews for no reason just like tribes in a jungle..the gang concept is something never established

Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM

3,560 posts, read 4,584,408 times
For all of you saying that "(fill in the blank) city does not have gangs but local crew who just beef with each other and sell drugs" well essentially that is what gangs are. Crips, bloods, Latin Kings Vice lords ect are basically made up of different neighborhood crews that just happen to be a part of a broad based orginization.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM

4,528 posts, read 5,206,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
For all of you saying that "(fill in the blank) city does not have gangs but local crew who just beef with each other and sell drugs" well essentially that is what gangs are. Crips, bloods, Latin Kings Vice lords ect are basically made up of different neighborhood crews that just happen to be a part of a broad based orginization.
Nahhhh! Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings, GD's and VL's follow a certain creed. I know for a fact that in Chicago (back in the day) if you wore your baseball hat on the wrong side you could catch an Olympic beatdown. Same as LA with the colors. Plus, these gang organizations have rules that they live by and sometimes have a language and or literature. There could be one blood or crip in DC and the news media freaks out. I have been here most of my teenage and adult life and have never seen a blood or a crip. I have only seen one Vice Lord and that was my cousin from Chicago visiting. In DC, you can basically wear what you want. Everybody in the hood wears Nike boots, Foams or Northface jackets. That's why, you will never know or see when your enemies are coming. Most of the crews are loosely knit dudes from the same neighborhoods that hang and sell drugs together. In some neighborhoods, the crews are street to street. A beef can happen anywhere at anytime. Plus, DC's sub culture plays a critical role in many of the hood beefs because they usually spill over from the younger go-go bands. Blacks DC is too caught up on fashion to have gangs with strict dress codes. LOL

Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 PM

686 posts, read 500,092 times
Someone has to make white folk uncomfortable.

You know I used to be based in the LA office of the firm I work for and never felt intimidated by large groups of black guys or Hispanic guys or whatever. I think, frankly, that as white people assume the worse about such groups, it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:21 PM

Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Someone has to make white folk uncomfortable.

You know I used to be based in the LA office of the firm I work for and never felt intimidated by large groups of black guys or Hispanic guys or whatever. I think, frankly, that as white people assume the worse about such groups, it is a self fulfilling prophecy.
Every race has its pros and cons

Old 09-16-2011, 03:24 PM

Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Nahhhh! Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings, GD's and VL's follow a certain creed. I know for a fact that in Chicago (back in the day) if you wore your baseball hat on the wrong side you could catch an Olympic beatdown. Same as LA with the colors. Plus, these gang organizations have rules that they live by and sometimes have a language and or literature. There could be one blood or crip in DC and the news media freaks out. I have been here most of my teenage and adult life and have never seen a blood or a crip. I have only seen one Vice Lord and that was my cousin from Chicago visiting. In DC, you can basically wear what you want. Everybody in the hood wears Nike boots, Foams or Northface jackets. That's why, you will never know or see when your enemies are coming. Most of the crews are loosely knit dudes from the same neighborhoods that hang and sell drugs together. In some neighborhoods, the crews are street to street. A beef can happen anywhere at anytime. Plus, DC's sub culture plays a critical role in many of the hood beefs because they usually spill over from the younger go-go bands. Blacks DC is too caught up on fashion to have gangs with strict dress codes. LOL
Right the only initiations are growing up surviving

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 PM

3,560 posts, read 4,584,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Well yeah but thats the only difference IMO. Yeah Gangs have certain creeds, codes of conduct, by laws and literature that they must follow. And of course there is a chain of command but essentially what's going on one city is probably not that much different from the next. I mean nowadays it doesnt matter what "Orginization" you are a part of because they all come at each other. One set of GD's will fighting with another groups of GD's and ect.....that is untill they hit up county or any state prison. I heard in L.A. Crips also fight other Crips. Not much difference from these block crews in other cities.

Also what I was trying to say was that Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings, Vice Lords GD's ect are made up of smaller sets/clicks/decks that are based out of certain neighborhoods. Why do you think they have "rollin 60's" crips "piru" and others.

And as far as I know the hat thing still applies in the Chicagoland area btw.

Last edited by mas23; 09-16-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 12:06 AM

1,681 posts, read 1,795,351 times
Ironically there is a huge Crip set in Anchorage, Alaska and Salt Lake City however many of them seemed to be transplants from Los Angeles.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.