Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
North Carolina is a southern state to me. Why are we discussing this? I can see the mid atlantic part since NC, VA, & MD are in the "middle". Those states are south atlantic. NC is without a doubt southern. I am a bama girl and I know what is southern and what is not. Yes NC VA & MD are in the south atlantic, end of story. No ones opinion cannot change were these states are geographically located.

I also hate it when people say well they have such and such in new jersey, does that make them southern too? NJ represents a small part of the whole northeast.. Can someone explain this to me? Say BBQ in NJ and they will think you mean grilling outside. Bojangles is mainly in the south that serves SOUTHERN foods with only ONE location and I mean ONE location in PA, yeah so that makes bojangles "northern food" all of a sudden?

The Mason Dixon line should start around the DC area and extend into parts of Missouri, kentucky West VA, Oklahoma and Texas. The south is my home and I am biased to it being my favorite region I hate to see people rip pieces of it apart just because of their opinion. If people dont see NC VA & MD(Nc especially) as being even remotely southern then they should not even be debating on what is southern and what is not southern. Next people will be saying that michigan and ohio are southern states.
Pit style BBQ is found in South Jersey which is culturally different that North Jersey. Just as Philadelphia ia much closer, culturally, to Baltimore, DC, & Richmond than NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre2290 View Post
Exatly this is the most weirdest conversation to be brought up on the NC forum and for some reason it happens quite often??. I' was born in North AL and lived there for 16 years. Ive also lived in SC for 5 NC for 6 and MD where i currently live for the moment. The Bram73 fellow has not only presented video evidence but has stated the truest fact out of everybody. If you look at this not only geographically you will find that historiacally speaking you will never find a letter refering to NC as the mid atlantic. Never!! The southbound guy's stuff shows a germen influence from PA. In Alabama we have germen ancestors. He's talking about old buildings the State Capitol! Building in Montgomery AL was built by Philidelphia PA people and trust me i know some people in bama with family from PA. We have similar architecture to PA in parts of AL im pretty sure of it. If thats the logic being used here then Alabama is both mid-atlantic and the south. connections does not make a state what it is. For example in NC i lived in the Shelby area and I'm telling you that i know all about the NC german and PA influence. He said that those people in where he lives in the piedmont said they felt like it was the mid atlantic and not the south he lied!!!!!!! I know the shelby area and i know exatly how they act he said the older people said that yea right!! Shelby knows they live in the south and knows that they are southeners. My friends from shelby had some thick southern accents and o yea guess what the bram73 guy was right again people in SC eat livermush!! Its even in the grocery stores and i grew to like it myself while living in SC. Sure the PA and PA dutch influence is in NC but that does not make it the mid atlantic.
I'm a she, not a he & did not lie. I'm also speaking of natives of Kings Mountain & Gastonia, not Shelby. Spend any time in the MidAtlantic, both urban & rural? Is NC more southern, yup it is & I never said differently.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM

37 posts, read 56,835 times
The most northern habitat for alligators is Merchant Milpond state park which is in NC right under VA. You cant kill them though in NC because they are endangered but they have been doing well lately. Hopes this answers the ? Start watchin at 3:20
Merchants Millpond Gator - YouTube

Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 PM

Are you talking about the same Kings Mountain in NC which is known as one of the most historic battles in the SOUTH. The same Kings Mountain that proved to be a stamp that Carolina would rise even after the fall of Charleston! One of the most historic sites in the American Revolution That Kings Mountain. WOW!!!! And Gastonia one of the biggest if not the biggest textile producing places in the state of NC in the south???? They Kings Mountain people said that hmmm??????? WOW Please enlighten yourself and read GASTONIA HISTORY And i 've been living in Maryland for the past 3 years so if youre calling MD the mid-atlantic which is a border state then i have spent time in rural mid atlantic and live in it now and yes there is a major difference in MD and NC even in rural places and Baltimore is different than anything in NC.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about the same Kings Mountain in NC which is known as one of the most historic battles in the SOUTH. The same Kings Mountain that proved to be a stamp that Carolina would rise even after the fall of Charleston! One of the most historic sites in the American Revolution That Kings Mountain. WOW!!!! And Gastonia one of the biggest if not the biggest textile producing places in the state of NC in the south???? They Kings Mountain people said that hmmm??????? WOW Please enlighten yourself and read GASTONIA HISTORY And i 've been living in Maryland for the past 3 years so if youre calling MD the mid-atlantic which is a border state then i have spent time in rural mid atlantic and live in it now and yes there is a major difference in MD and NC even in rural places and Baltimore is different than anything in NC.
The battle was fought in South Carolina. History & geography are helpful thing to know. The Revolutionary War was fought in 2 theaters, North & South, unlike the Civil War that had several. Keep in mind that Chickamauga, Chattanooga, & Atlanta were western theater battles, so don't get real stuck on war theaters.

Yeah, there's an accent in Gastonia that is strikingly similar to one of the Philadelphia accents.

I worked in Owings Mills for a few years & was around Owings Mills, Reisterstown & Finksburg (pre train into Baltimore City) At that time, people fell into 2 camps. I worked with a bunch of good ol' boys who were nice as could be. The other variety looked up to NYC. I got called a hick by some, when they found out that I was from South Jersey. Why don't you run up to Woodstown to the Cowtown Rodeo. Then see how "unenlightened" I am. Cowtown Rodeo - Salem County, New Jersey - You might want to take a side-trip to the Pine Barrens & check out Chatsworth & talk to some Pineys. Chatsworth, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I said before in this thread, this topic has been hashed over repeatedly. You can check on the Charlotte board. I never said that NC was the MidAtlantic, period. I said that it's both, simultaneously.

I could dig up some other links that show the connections but since I'm having what I said attacked by people who can't understand that I said that in my opinion, it's both, & people who think that you can move the Mason-Dixon line to wherever is convenient, I've lost interest. Oh yeah, & don't concern yourself with the fact that the MidAtlantic is the transition, so it changes & therefore the southern end of it would be just about the south (as in Deep South), but still with MidAtlantic ties. Detail, details. . .

Oh & I've read Gastonia's history before you thought that I needed to, & I know about the strike at the Loray Mill, etc., etc. . . .

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-29-2011 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 AM

OMG!! You really need to gather your history right the state of NC not only relives the event every year but in history class they clearly explain the battle happened in nc. Being a hick or doing rodeo which is WESTERN tradition doesnt make you southern i dont even understand why you brought that up??? was that suppose to draw a tie to NC?? Everybody knows south NJ is different from NJ who doesnt know that. Just like western NC is different from piedmont nc and eastern NC but despite their differences all regions are undoubtedly southern. Your story is very similar to african american people. When they left the south all of them kept their traditions such as speech food culture etc but is an african american in PA like an african american in NC. I think bram73 has already showed video and personal experience as evidence. and this opinion stuff is overated fact is something that can be proved and nc is southern is a fact. youve proven ties to nc from the mid atlantic in which my home AL has ties to PA so.....?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,062,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Good God! Do you have any clue what the Mason-Dixon line is? Apparently not, if you think it should be moved..

The King of England gave land grants to the Calvert family & to William Penn. The grants overlapped. People were killing each other over the overlap. The Calverts were claiming Philadelphia & the Penns claimed Baltimore, each rightly so. A compromise was reached & Mr Mason & Mr Dixon put markers on the line, many of which are still there. The line was co-opted to use for the slavery question. It's nothing other than a state line.
Yes, I know what the Mason-Dixon line is. I know it wasn't created for the purpose of dividing the North and South originally, but that changed over time. And not necessarily even for North and South...between slave and free, not exactly the same thing. In any case, it's definition has changed over time. Culturally that division is accurate. Quit getting your panties in a wad.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
OMG!! You really need to gather your history right the state of NC not only relives the event every year but in history class they clearly explain the battle happened in nc. Being a hick or doing rodeo which is WESTERN tradition doesnt make you southern i dont even understand why you brought that up??? was that suppose to draw a tie to NC?? Everybody knows south NJ is different from NJ who doesnt know that. Just like western NC is different from piedmont nc and eastern NC but despite their differences all regions are undoubtedly southern. Your story is very similar to african american people. When they left the south all of them kept their traditions such as speech food culture etc but is an african american in PA like an african american in NC. I think bram73 has already showed video and personal experience as evidence. and this opinion stuff is overated fact is something that can be proved and nc is southern is a fact. youve proven ties to nc from the mid atlantic in which my home AL has ties to PA so.....?
The battle of Kings Mountain was fought in South Carolina. The National Park includes the battlefield & is entirely in South Carolina. Kings Mountain has an annual celebration to honor the nearby battle. At the time of the battle, Kings Mountain was called White Plains & the name was changed to Kings Mountain to honor the nearby battle after the town was incorporated. Kings Mountain National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service) & Cornwell House Now the Battle of Guilford Court House was fought in NC & is celebrated by the state of NC. In fact, the night before that battle, the British occupied the Mendenhall property which included the mill built by my ancestor James Mendenhall.

Here's a video that includes a Deepsouth Jersey accent. New Jersey accents: beyond caw-fee and hoagies | NJ.com

Old 09-30-2011, 08:55 AM

2,559 posts, read 4,603,339 times
Default boredatwork

Theres so much mumbo jumbo you folks are posting just to say if it is the south or mid-atlantic....Im from MD...its the south...not the deep south or the southeast....just the south why is that so hard to comprehend.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,047,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Theres so much mumbo jumbo you folks are posting just to say if it is the south or mid-atlantic....Im from MD...its the south...not the deep south or the southeast....just the south why is that so hard to comprehend.
That's a error, the south is huge, I tell you right now that the people in FL, GA, SC and NC call themselves both the southeast and South Atlantic to some times distinguish from the rest of the south sometimes.

Anyways NC is not the MidAtlantic, In the Atlanta forums there's actually a thread asking is Atlanta a east coast city, most posters came to the conclusion that Atlanta can be call eastern but not a east coast city. I think NC have the same issue. If you look at the south other than TX being super populated at the western end, the most populated states in south touch the Atlantic. So NC isn't the odd ball in the region SC is. When looking at VA, GA, and FL... NC blends right in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.