Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,272,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
Ok so iv'e been looking at all these post about what is NC. Is it southern etc & i'm tired of all the mess. First lets end this myth! NC is not the mid atlantic. Eastern NC has swamps spanish moss alligators cotton fields & slave plantations which ask yourself does that seem mid atlantic to you? & as for Charlotte/Raleigh area the southern charm is watered down but is it NOVA no its not. & the triad is still southern & especially small city NC. Ashville area naw but WNC oh yes! People have made this region up & the history of it is unclear but after doing research NY has more to do with this region than NC. And geographically NO! I mean the state is bordered by TN VA SC GA.Which VA has the least to do with it. South VA is southern which is the only part NC influences. Only extreme northeastern NC is influenced by VA. Thats a pretty small area. & also FL obviously makes NC even closely mid atlantic & FL is also the least southern. I mean I live under VA & I can get to FL in 7hrs! if i go 7hrs up ill b MD!
Maryland and Delaware had plantations but they are Mid-atlantic (i dont consider Maryland to be southern). NC imo is still the south but not the deep south.

side note: I remember this lady in one of my classes who was from the Mississippi Delta region and she never thought of NC as the south

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 07:59 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,148,552 times
Quite fascinating that so many of you have *extensively* queried the population at large about NC's status. This issue must be more important than I realized...

Do any of you give market advice? Because my portfolio is hurting!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM

2,105 posts, read 2,702,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram73 View Post
NC is not the mid atlantic.
So? Who cares? It's a place I call home no matter what it goes by...

Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 PM

68 posts, read 138,570 times
Its the comments like that as to why i comment on what region this state is. I made this forum out of fustration because of comments like that one. The deep south is a king sterotype in my OPINION. I was just making this forum because i was looking at this website and looking at these comments about how southern NC TN and AK is. Everybody in MS and GA or AL etc doesnt have these crazy long drawn out accents and everbody down there is not a redneck. For example there are plenty of people in NC TN and South VA with those crazy so called deep southern accents as well as those stereotypical rednecks who live all over the USA not just in the south though i will say the rednecks are different in other places. Same goes for the stereotype that everybody in piedmont NC is not a transplant. For example this person said when they think of the deep south they think of cotton, long porches, southern looking plantations, swamps with alligators and palmettos/spanish moss. Which you can all find and plenty of in eastern NC which covers about 45% of the state and even some stuff in southeast VA. My whole point of this forum was to show that much of the south is the south. Now i get stuff like MD and VA being in both but in my OPINION after visiting the deep south so many times i cant count and visiting family all the time there is something about South VA on down that seems rather similar to ME despite the stereotypes. Im sorry if I came out vulgar but there was some stuff I had to get off my chest.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,865,167 times
Don't confuse country and southern, bram73. They are two different things. There are country areas of every state.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 PM

68 posts, read 138,570 times
Oh trust me! i understand that every state has there country areas. It's just that i use this language on the computer because some people dont understand what it means to be southern. For example there are some people in NY who classify as the so called country people, but my question to you is what does it mean to be southern?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
It's not a challenge, it's an observation. And I've posted what I think about it. My grandfather retired as president of Leaksville Woolen Mill, so I grew up steeped in the textile culture. I had sconces on my walls made of loom shuttles for goodness' sake. I never knew any of those men to wax about being in the "mid Atlantic" or following anyone from Philly or any other town. Textiles pretty much died in this area by the mid eighties... WAY before the rush of Yankee transplants were here spreading fancies about NC being anything other than a charter member of Dixie. Still buffered from the northern heathens by dear old Virginia who was left on the border to bear the brunt of the Yankee onslaught.

By some of the "association" logic being applied here we ought to just call ourselves England, or France or Germany and be done with it.

But go ahead, call NC "mid Atlantic" if you wish. No harm in that. Some folks may even buy into the notion!
Well, I have consistantly said that in my opinion NC is both the South & the MidAtlantic, so I have not disagreed with you, just added something that you apparently disagree with.

Go ahead & say that it's because NC is the "New South", just understand that I was told that NC is sometimes called the South & sometimes called the MidAtlantic in the early '60s. That's before "The New South" was invented. Plus, I'm a native Michigander & the books were not brand spanking new. We were using books from the 1940s. It's not a new concept, or one that I made up to make myself feel good.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,148,552 times
Well if a BOOK in MICHIGAN said it in the 40's, it MUST BE TRUE!!1!juan!1

Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,176,451 times
In Southern Politics In State and Nation VO Key plays on the old adage, coined by either Zebulon Vance or Alexander Hamilton depending on who you ask, of the "vale of humility between two mountains of conceit", calling NC a "progressive plutocracy" as opposed to the still largely pre-industrial, quasi-feudal societies of much of the rest of the south. This was back in the late 40s, so the notion of NC as not quite as "southern" as other states nearby isn't a new idea.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:27 AM

7,051 posts, read 12,267,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
And face it folks, if you're kids are born here they're Southern too. Lucky for them.
I understand that you're joking; but I was born in NYC, raised in Charlotte, and I consider myself both a Charlottean and a southerner (however, I ALWAYS enjoy my visits to my birth place). Once the kids are grown (ten years to go!!!), there is a good chance that I will move to my birth place. When that day comes, I will still be a Charlottean and a southerner. The latter will never change.

FWIW, "southerner" is not a certain way of life nor is it a certain type of mentality anymore. "Southerner" is a person that grew up in a certain geographic region. Plain and simple. NC is a southern region. People raised in NC are southerners.

With that said, I am not quite sure what the OP is asking.
NC Mid-Atlantic?Deep South?Southeast??!!

^^^Are we talking geography here or mentality? The former is certainly southern. The latter is "New South".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.