U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 PM

121 posts, read 249,663 times

Advertisements

These are 2 sides of the country that rarely get compared. They are both known for their laid-back ways. So lets have at it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 AM

636 posts, read 1,340,093 times
The West; the South is still developing. While the West has that "laid-back" feel, it is very cosmopolitan and busy. It's lifestyle is really a league ahead of the South's. Though cities like Miami and Houston have a lot to offer.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM

635 posts, read 1,279,328 times
The south, I love how I don't feel rushed when I'm back home, but the west at least the pnw feels too on edge all the time it's like if they don't get there now the world is going to end. Which makes me wonder why their speed limits are so slow.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:03 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,035,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
The south, I love how I don't feel rushed when I'm back home, but the west at least the pnw feels too on edge all the time it's like if they don't get there now the world is going to end. Which makes me wonder why their speed limits are so slow.
I'm not sure the NW and the SW can be lumped together in a region called the West.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:49 AM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
I'm not sure the NW and the SW can be lumped together in a region called the West.
The same could be said for lumping Virginia and Texas in the same region

Old 09-09-2011, 07:40 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,802,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The same could be said for lumping Virginia and Texas in the same region
Well not if you're talking about East Texas.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 AM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well not if you're talking about East Texas.
I think its fair to say that Lousiana and Virginia have very different dynamics, though both southern they can be as starkly different as the Northwest is to the Southwest.

That said, I like both regions (South and West), but I like the West a lot more due to the more varied topography, better choice of climates, and generally a more live and let live kind of area.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,122,018 times
comparing NC, the only southern state i've been to, and CA:

NC is more humid, greener, has larger and thicker deciduous forests than anything in CA as far as i could tell, vines covering everything in the forests, more bugs, and trees with thorns that can impale the bottom of a boot. The mosquitoes are much more abundant and harder to kill than the ones here in SF (you guys have asian tiger mosquitoes which seem to be smaller and quicker than the ones here in SF, which are slow and fat).

The pace of life is slower in NC and people seem pretty laid back. In the Appalachians, a lot of people hunt...no one in SF does, obviously, as it's a city, but even in more rural areas of CA that i've been to, hunting seems like much less a part of life in comparison. People are also in general more talkative/outwardly friendly towards strangers, which was nice in some ways, but it also was a little bit annoying at times to me as i'm used to people being little bit more reserved around people they don't know (even the airport security people were nice, a complete 180 from SFO, where it's all business). They have drive through cigarette stores there too, and at least around Asheville there seems to be some sort of mild obsession with frisbee golf...there are a bunch of courses there for it, yet i had never even heard of it before here in CA.

I'll take western living though, because i love the geography here, there's less humidity, and the cities are more impressive overall than those in NC.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:53 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,229,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
comparing NC, the only southern state i've been to, and CA:

NC is more humid, greener, has larger and thicker deciduous forests than anything in CA as far as i could tell, vines covering everything in the forests, more bugs, and trees with thorns that can impale the bottom of a boot. The mosquitoes are much more abundant and harder to kill than the ones here in SF (you guys have asian tiger mosquitoes which seem to be smaller and quicker than the ones here in SF, which are slow and fat).

The pace of life is slower in NC and people seem pretty laid back. In the Appalachians, a lot of people hunt...no one in SF does, obviously, as it's a city, but even in more rural areas of CA that i've been to, hunting seems like much less a part of life in comparison. People are also in general more talkative/outwardly friendly towards strangers, which was nice in some ways, but it also was a little bit annoying at times to me as i'm used to people being little bit more reserved around people they don't know (even the airport security people were nice, a complete 180 from SFO, where it's all business). They have drive through cigarette stores there too, and at least around Asheville there seems to be some sort of mild obsession with frisbee golf...there are a bunch of courses there for it, yet i had never even heard of it before here in CA.

I'll take western living though, because i love the geography here, there's less humidity, and the cities are more impressive overall than those in NC.
Spend some time in Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, and Houston. Those are modern, dynamic and progressive cities; in fact, I would argue that Atlanta and Austin and, for that matter, Houston may even be more tolerant than the West Coast cities.

I love the West Coast and could see myself here for a while, but I miss the open-mindedness, laissez-faire attitude and real diversity of political and economic opinions of my native Southerners in comparison; here, tolerance is a conformist mandate.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:37 AM

121 posts, read 249,663 times
I wonder which is more modernized.........rural South or rural West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or