Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 AM

50 posts, read 81,842 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the insights, I did consider Louisville and a couple other places, maybe I'll revisit them.

A couple clarifications. I was careful to title my thread "metros" meaning I do not see myself living right in Dallas, I heard Mesquite was a little bit more laid back and maybe Ft. Worth as well. Even if I had the inclination, I would never fit into McMansion hell of the north Dallas burbs.

But my main concern is with the overall mindset of the metro area as a whole, how do they view country folk? Tattoos? Not just in Dallas proper, but collectively, assuming it's even possible to opine about.

I'm not sure about small towns, wasn't really my question because I never considered living in one. I'm also not necky in the extreme political/religious sense. I realize the word elicits negative connotations and images, but I didn't know how else to describe myself. Maybe nascar fan would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:59 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,912 times
Oklahoma City and Tulsa might work too

Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecollar View Post
Thanks for the insights, I did consider Louisville and a couple other places, maybe I'll revisit them.

A couple clarifications. I was careful to title my thread "metros" meaning I do not see myself living right in Dallas, I heard Mesquite was a little bit more laid back and maybe Ft. Worth as well. Even if I had the inclination, I would never fit into McMansion hell of the north Dallas burbs.

But my main concern is with the overall mindset of the metro area as a whole, how do they view country folk? Tattoos? Not just in Dallas proper, but collectively, assuming it's even possible to opine about.

I'm not sure about small towns, wasn't really my question because I never considered living in one. I'm also not necky in the extreme political/religious sense. I realize the word elicits negative connotations and images, but I didn't know how else to describe myself. Maybe nascar fan would be better.
Look at Ellis County just south of Dallas. Quite a bit lower population density, solid household income levels, and much more blue collar feel.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:52 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
For Atlanta, I think some of the exurban metro communities might suit you: Dallas, Hiram, Villa Rica, Winder, McDonough, Cartersville and Adairsville for starters.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
I'm not sure I really understand "necky" in this context, but maybe the following fits what you desire.

Combos Microsite

Going by it KC is maybe the best fit of the three cities you named. By the looks of it Dallas might be good for sports though. You might also consider Charlotte, Nashville, or Oklahoma City. OKC might be too politically conservative for you, but Nashville is fairly moderate to liberal from what I can tell.

If you're meaning suburbs some of the above ideas are certainly better informed than I'd be.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 AM

67 posts, read 166,929 times
Have you thought about Charlotte, NC. It is very nice. You are close to the beach and close to the mountains. You really couldn't get any closer to NASCAR. Check it out. Very nice.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 AM

635 posts, read 1,509,547 times
Well Jeff Foxworthy is from Atlanta (hapeville) so that's a start, and the places I would suggest, would be villa rica, barnesville, jackson, zebulon, hampton, and thats about it.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
I would say Dallas or Kansas City, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about either to narrow it down further than that. I do know that some of the more rural areas of Georgia may be what you're looking for, but not so much the Atlanta metro area. You may want to look into Little Rock, but I don't believe it has a NASCAR venue nearby.

Yeah, you're clearly not knowledgable, because unless you are in 'da hood,' you would ABSOLUTELY stick out based on the op's criteria (full of tattoos, etc) in Dallas. Or you could go live out in the sticks which are more 'country.' Try Denton. College town and tons of blue collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.