Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM

15 posts, read 15,092 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm new here. I'm a teenager who wants to leave the UK and permanently reside in the USA.

So here's a bit of info about myself:

I'm 15. I live in the UK > London with my parents. I go to a private secondary school. I've done my gcse's [got A-A* grades], I am currently doing my A levels. I'm planning to migrate to the states and continue my life there. How I get into the US is kinda complicated. I don't have any relatives over there, I don't have a green card, or anything that would grant me permission to reside in the US permanently. I'm not in a very comfortable financial environment.

So I was hoping to apply to an american college as an international student, and get myself a scholarship to study there. I will be applying next fall, and if I get in, I'll be off to USA in august 2013 at the age of 17. After I graduate, I'll get myself a job, and somehow keep myself in the states with a work permit or visa of some sort. Then I'll get married or get lucky with the green card lottery. Aaaand I think I'm done for the rest of my life.

So I have a few options for my state of residence when I apply for usa colleges:

MIT > boston
Harvard > boston
Stanford > california
Princeton > new jersey

Those are my preferred colleges. I have a few others on my list too.

Thanks for reading! Any suggestions/criticisms/thoughts are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
How do you plan on paying for college in America? Most forms of financial aid available to students in America are restricted to residents (ie not international students). These elite schools cost roughly $50-60 thousand per year.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
How do you plan on paying for college in America? Most forms of financial aid available to students in America are restricted to residents (ie not international students). These elite schools cost roughly $50-60 thousand per year.
They offer scholarships don't they? Otherwise my plan would be greatly flawed...

http://web.mit.edu/sfs/financial_aid...grad_Intl.html

Old 09-10-2011, 03:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
They offer scholarships don't they? Otherwise my plan would be greatly flawed...
The scholarships won't cover a fraction of your tuition let alone your living expenses.

also scholarships are difficult enough for residents, let alone for international students.

a lot of scholarships nowadays are for 5K or less (unless you get some really good ones from your school). You will need multiple scholarships, plus loans, plus lord knows what else. getting an education here is not as easy as it is in the UK

Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The scholarships won't cover a fraction of your tuition let alone your living expenses.

also scholarships are difficult enough for residents, let alone for international students.

a lot of scholarships nowadays are for 5K or less (unless you get some really good ones from your school). You will need multiple scholarships, plus loans, plus lord knows what else. getting an education here is not as easy as it is in the UK
Then boston/MIT would be my only hope of access to USA...

MIT offers FULL need blind scholarships [everything incl] to all of it's undergrad students, international/residents.
But MIT is incredibly hard to get into. Damn.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
Then boston/MIT would be my only hope of access to USA...

MIT offers FULL need blind scholarships [everything incl] to all of it's undergrad students, international/residents.
But MIT is incredibly hard to get into. Damn.
That is exactly why MIT is your worst choice.

A zillion other schools offer full rides, but they are no where as exclusive as MIT.

MIT can hand pick their students from anywhere around the world which makes it that much harder to get into. Even worse, cost of living in Boston is quite high.

There are schools all over the place (FL has many) that accept a ton of foreign students, and offer them scholarships, and the cost of living there is a quarter that of Boston. The negative is they are regional colleges so you don't get as prestigious a degree as from Harvard

Old 09-10-2011, 04:15 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
So, I've done a quick google search and there are a handful of schools that offer financial assistance to international students on the same basis as US residents. Princeton claims that it is 1 of only 6 such schools in the country. MIT, Harvard, Columbia, and Brown also claim to treat international and US students equally for financial aid. Stanford claims "limited" funds available for international student financial aid. You will be ineligible for the vast majority of financial aid programs (many/most subsidized by the US govt), so your best bet is getting in one of these elite schools. Best of luck!

PS: HTownlove's suggestion isn't bad either. There are tons of less prestigious schools out there with lower costs and perhaps partial scholarship support. Depending on your familiy's financial resources, these might be viable options. Of course, if you can get into an elite school, you're probably better off in the long run.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:20 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,313 times
I have also read that many top schools do offer financial assistance to international students. This site may give you a place to start.

EducationUSA - Finance Your Studies

If this is your dream don't give up until you have exhausted all the options. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
So, I've done a quick google search and there are a handful of schools that offer financial assistance to international students on the same basis as US residents. Princeton claims that it is 1 of only 6 such schools in the country. MIT, Harvard, Columbia, and Brown also claim to treat international and US students equally for financial aid. Stanford claims "limited" funds available for international student financial aid. You will be ineligible for the vast majority of financial aid programs (many/most subsidized by the US govt), so your best bet is getting in one of these elite schools. Best of luck!
Its as I feared.

Oh well. I've got a lot of time at hand since I'm 15. I'll prepare ahead and hope for the best.

Thank you.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
I have also read that many top schools do offer financial assistance to international students. This site may give you a place to start.

EducationUSA - Finance Your Studies

If this is your dream don't give up until you have exhausted all the options. Good luck!
Yeah you're spot on, its my dream to study and reside in the USA.

Thats an awesome website! Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.