Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 PM

200 posts, read 294,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I hate to tell you but it will be this way for the next year, you (Houston) might not get below freezing this winter as the patterns are not going to allow it..
Houston hardly has any days in the winter that get below freezing anyways. Average lows in December and January never get below 45 degrees, so nothing would be out of the ordinary. Most people here probably like it that way. I certainly don't mind freezing temperatures, but I definitely prefer Houston's winter than just about any other city in this country. Temperature highs in the winter range from 55 to 75 degrees, which is ideal for me. If this continuing weather pattern results in highs around 90, then consider me surprised in the winter. However, I'm not really concerned about the possibilities of record highs in the winter but more of the record drought that could continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
Houston hardly has any days in the winter that get below freezing anyways. Average lows in December and January never get below 45 degrees, so nothing would be out of the ordinary. Most people here probably like it that way. I certainly don't mind freezing temperatures, but I definitely prefer Houston's winter than just about any other city in this country. Temperature highs in the winter range from 55 to 75 degrees, which is ideal for me. If this continuing weather pattern results in highs around 90, then consider me surprised in the winter. However, I'm not really concerned about the possibilities of record highs in the winter but more of the record drought that could continue.

Houston has plenty of (nights) below freezing, you are delusional. The record drought will continue unfortunately.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You are talking to a brick wall. Brent has a negative and exaggerated agenda against Texas. We've already told him that this summer was unprecedented and not normal but he refuses to listen. To the op or anyone else, this summer again is not normal. Houston is usually in the lower to mid 90s in the summer. Dallas can have hot summers. But this is the hottest in 3 decades.
Have you heard of the reasons why Texas is getting slammed so hard this year? I read somewhere about a La Nina coming but I am not sure if this is what is happening to Texas.

Anyway on the NOAA website there is a report that this has been the second hottest summer on record in the United States.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
You are talking to a brick wall. Brent has a negative and exaggerated agenda against Texas. We've already told him that this summer was unprecedented and not normal but he refuses to listen. To the op or anyone else, this summer again is not normal. Houston is usually in the lower to mid 90s in the summer. Dallas can have hot summers. But this is the hottest in 3 decades.
Yeah, I've noticed that. I thought I call Brent out on claiming Houston had a heat index of 122 today, which was absurd. That was a good 20 degrees off. Just to put things in perspective, here is a graph of the 2011 record heat in Southeast Texas compared to an average year and the hottest year recorded before.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Have you heard of the reasons why Texas is getting slammed so hard this year? I read somewhere about a La Nina coming but I am not sure if this is what is happening to Texas.

Anyway on the NOAA website there is a report that this has been the second hottest summer on record in the United States.

Yes, I hate Texas, and it is my opinion, would NEVER live there if you paid me a million. I am hardly exaggerating what is going on there this summer, people are leaving and will have second thoughts about moving there in the future. It is only going to get worse every summer and really that goes for most of the country. Not just TX. Texas is not a wealth of watershed either, it is drying up rapidly, no matter how many reservoirs you have. Sorry just the brutal truth, we should all be worried. 100 in Dallas at 9pm in the middle of September is in no way normal, it is scary.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Houston has plenty of (nights) below freezing, you are delusional. The record drought will continue unfortunately.
Yes we have had nights below freezing, but the average lows bottom out at 45 in December and January. So my point again, it would be hardly out of the ordinary if it doesn't hit the freezing mark. I will be more surprised if the highs hit 90 in the winter because of the unusual weather pattern

Here is a chart of Houston temperatures in January. As you will see, we have had plenty of temperatures below freezing, but that doesn't mean it normally happens.

Daily Average January Temperatures in Houston

Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

From what I've read, it's a perfect mix that is contributing. A never ending weather pattern of dry air plus the lack of moisture in the ground is helping the temps become higher than average. It's like the sun baking scorched land.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
The thing that you're not getting, Brent, is that you are passing off your exaggeration and this unprecedented year as normal and its not. We've told you this before. If you hate Texas so much, why do you continue to post in threads relating to Texas? Why do you waste your time talking about it period. If you have no interest in it or if the only thing you want to spew is negativity, why bother? It looks like in your last post that you are hoping that this disaster continues. That's childish and you don't know the long term future anymore than Ms. Cleo.
I did not in any form or fashion say it was normal>>>>>>>>>You are the one that is being childish, I did not start this thread, read the first post. I am not being negative, it is only the truth, take it the way you want to. If you really want to know, it is all the hot air you Texans blow to make people think it is the cats meow place to live. Plus, I am in the General US thread, not the Texas thread, and when is there a rule to where one can post?????

Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
From what I've read, it's a perfect mix that is contributing. A never ending weather pattern of dry air plus the lack of moisture in the ground is helping the temps become higher than average. It's like the sun baking scorched land.
Sounds like something that sometimes happens during winter in New York. The weather service will tell us we are getting 6 inches of snow when in reality we only end up with say 4 inches. This is because of the first inch or two just evaporated because the ground air was too dry.

In the distant future there is one option that Texas has that other states do not. Desalination of salt water. Right now the process is very costly but it is certainly better to have the option than to not have it.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
105 right now, 106 tomorrow in Dallas= HELL.
We had temps in the 80s all last week and lows in the 50s and 60s. This weather isn't normal at all. There's a very strong cold front heading for Texas. The temps will be back in the 80s by Thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.