Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:24 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I might have missed where you stated this, but what are some of the specifics you're looking for?

If you're wanting to be someplace with the somewhat progressive vibe of Austin, then look no further than North Carolina. Either the more artsy, mountainous Asheville, or the more education-centered Research Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) should do. NC has the humidity, but their summers are milder, and winters are colder as well.
Looks like you quoted me before I edited my response to Brent. I had decided to do a milder response, but oh well. Anyway, North Carolina is indeed looking more and more like it would fit our needs if we can't get beyond the drought, and for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks! I've been focusing my research on that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Looks like you quoted me before I edited my response to Brent. I had decided to do a milder response, but oh well. Anyway, North Carolina is indeed looking more and more like it would fit our needs if we can't get beyond the drought, and for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks! I've been focusing my research on that area.
I don't recall having ever been to the RT area, but I have been to Asheville, and I can say it's very nice up there. Definitely smaller and slower than Austin, but still nice nonetheless.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:56 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I dont know about eastern great lakes bordering states like NY and Pa, but I know the western great lakes states have a troubled economy. Im in Michigan and everyone knows about our unemployment problems. I know Oh, Ind and Wi have problems too. The only great lakes state that is doing well is Minnesota. This poster is correct though in stating that there will never be a shortage of water in the great lakes area. Its as green as can be here, other than winter. One day our abundent water supply may reverse our economic fortunes.
I don't think you can really make blanket statements about any state when it comes to the economy. Individual cities do much better than others. Madison, Indianapolis, Columbus, etc are all doing relatively well despite the overall economy.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Have you heard of the reasons why Texas is getting slammed so hard this year? I read somewhere about a La Nina coming but I am not sure if this is what is happening to Texas.

Anyway on the NOAA website there is a report that this has been the second hottest summer on record in the United States.
La Ninas tend to bring drought conditions from the Southwest up through the Ohio Valley, but it's only happened this year further south, as most of the OV and Midwest is not in a drought, or at least around normal. There is some evidence that La Ninas will become more common over the next few decades, especially if the Sun remains as quiet as it has the last few years. Also some of the other indices are switching.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
From what I've read, it's a perfect mix that is contributing. A never ending weather pattern of dry air plus the lack of moisture in the ground is helping the temps become higher than average. It's like the sun baking scorched land.
It's similar to what happened during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Sounds like something that sometimes happens during winter in New York. The weather service will tell us we are getting 6 inches of snow when in reality we only end up with say 4 inches. This is because of the first inch or two just evaporated because the ground air was too dry.

In the distant future there is one option that Texas has that other states do not. Desalination of salt water. Right now the process is very costly but it is certainly better to have the option than to not have it.
What you are talking about is different. Winter is always drier because cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air. When precipitation falls but evaporates without hitting the ground, it's usually because dewpoints are very low, and it takes time to saturate the levels of the atmosphere enough for precipitation to reach the surface. What is happening in Texas is different. It's not really about dewpoints, it's that the overall pattern isn't bringing precipitation to the region in the first place. There is also some evidence that once a drought sets in, the overall pattern above the area can be influenced by the drought conditions and make it even harder for it to rain.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Drying up? The lakes in Dallas aren't dried up. Even the Trinity River still has water in it.
They are certainly low. I have flown into Dallas a few times this summer and couldn't believe how low some of them were, including rivers. The land looked absolutely dead. Was glad to get back here to Ohio where everything is green and thriving. We have never seen that kind of drought here, at least not in the last 120 years.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Well many parts of Texas did get a good soaking last night and Saturday. We've gotten some pretty heavy showers over the weekend, but we're still about 13 inches below average for this time of year.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Anyway, North Carolina is indeed looking more and more like it would fit our needs if we can't get beyond the drought, and for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks! I've been focusing my research on that area.
You don't really mention what you are looking for other than the weather. If that is your main concern then I agree with the suggestions Kyle has made. I moved to this area a few years ago and find it to be an almost perfect mild four season climate, being outdoors is quite comfortable for most of the year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Blue Ridge/Appalachian mountain cities would be my suggestion as they seem to be holding more of a true four season climate (3 months of each) than most places on the eastern seaboard. Check out Greenville SC, Asheville NC, Knoxville TN, Johnson City TN, Roanoke/Blacksburg VA and Harrisonburg/Winchester VA.
However if those cities are too small for you maybe Nashville would worth considering. It's growing and getting a fairly decent reputation as an up and coming city. And in spite of the stereotypes it's not just a redneck, country music kind of place.
No mountains but hilly and lush, plenty of lakes and rivers nearby. JMT Nashville pics Fairly moderate climate, more humid and hot than the Appalachian areas, but probably no worse than most other areas of the southeast.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well many parts of Texas did get a good soaking last night and Saturday. We've gotten some pretty heavy showers over the weekend, but we're still about 13 inches below average for this time of year.
Yes, a nice line of storms moved south through East Texas all the way to the coast. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to even make a dent in the drought. Seems like the DFW area got really lucky this time, though. Austin had virtually nothing. I haven't had a drop of rain at my house since mid June. Not even a sprinkle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.