Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state best represents the "Deep North?"
Connecticut 7 6.31%
Maine 35 31.53%
Massachusetts 24 21.62%
New Hampshire 6 5.41%
New Jersey 3 2.70%
New York 11 9.91%
Pennsylvania 4 3.60%
Rhode Island 1 0.90%
Vermont 20 18.02%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:02 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I agree. Your reading comprehension is appalling.

I know what he meant. That's why I said what I said. NYC is further south than Chicago, meaning that Yankee country would start further south than northern Illinois.

LOL, ohmygod, this gets better.

CULTURE, my friend, CULTURE! But if you want to get yourself in a hooey over the geographic placement of states, well, didn't the OP specifically limit his answers to the Northeast? Re: reading comprehension, did you miss that statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
4) Ignored parts of posts asking you to back up several unsubstantiated claims.
5) Immaturely addressed people who called you on the above nonsense.

All-in-all a poor showing. Sorry, but until you offer something besides pre-formed opinion, I'm not persuaded by your argument that CT best represents the "deep north." Perhaps one of the other four members who voted with you may offer a more compelling case.

I'll stay posted.
I'll overlook 1, 2 & 3 because they've been addressed ad nauseum, so I'll let you run in your own circle.

4) Must I show you again? Need I find other stats and prove them? I've showed you stats from studies ranking states, thus they are not "unsubstantiated". Have you ever written a thesis? Have you cited paragraphs? That's how it's done. You make a statement, and cite your answer. That's what I've done, and I feel sorry for you for being unable to grasp this obvious 'foreign concept'.

5) Nobody called me on anything. The only thing that's happening here is: a) folks still cannot understand what the OP meant in his thread, and b) the ones who [seem to] understand cannot appropriately separate fact from opinion.

It's really sad that said posters likely have college degrees. What does that say about the American educational system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I'll stay posted.
I see my posts are keeping you up at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The OPs orginial post. Note the two sentences highlighted. Unfortunately the two questions do not necessarily lead to the same answer.

The first question asks which state is the most representative of the "Deep North". Given the states the OP says is Deep North*, a mixture of urban, suburban, rural, mountains, farms, beaches, forest, wild areas etc. you would probably come up with New York** followed by Massachusetts and Connecticut.

The second question asks the one state "that is the most opposite of the Deep South with regard to all aspects of life". Here Vermont, the rural liberal state is a good answer. Connecticut is also a good answer as KidYankee rightly points out and I would also add Massachusetts. Those are the three best answers to the cultural question IMO.

* I am not sure if I agree New Jersey is "Deep North"
** if the Great Lake states were included in the poll, then New York, a mixture of Mid-Atlantic, New England, Rustbelt, Appalachia and Great Lakes influence would even be a better answer.
THANK YOU! Now there are three people in this thread who frickin' get it.

I think the others are just frustrated that they have no idea what we're talking about. It's okay guys; it's okay. *pats them on the head*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Connecticut is tiny. If you were to take similarly small wealthy areas of the South and call them "states", they'd look wealthier too. When a "state" is the size of a "postage stamp", as is the case with MA, RI, CT, NH, VT, MD, DE, & NJ, and when those "states" are occupied by urbanized land, of course they're going to appear "wealthier". In all states, the urbanized areas (suburbs included) are the wealthiest. It's just that they have lots and lots of rural land, given that they are real-sized states, that has a general less wealthy population.
How many other excuses are you going to come up with?

Lets see, for per capita income;

Average for MA, RI, CT, NH, VT, MD, DE, NY and NJ: $45,780
Average for Mississippa, Alabama and Georgia (similar in size): $32,817
Average for Texas: $36,484

So no, they don't just "appear" wealthier because they are smaller states, the region as a whole is very wealthy even including non-urbanized land when you tally them all up. Find me a large suburb like Greenwich, CT in any of these states.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 09-20-2011 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:48 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

That's what I've done, and I feel sorry for you for being unable to grasp this obvious 'foreign concept'.

b) the ones who [seem to] understand cannot appropriately separate fact from opinion.

It's really sad that said posters likely have college degrees. What does that say about the American educational system?

I think the others are just frustrated that they have no idea what we're talking about. It's okay guys; it's okay. *pats them on the head*
Moderator cut: see comment

What I find funny is that you Moderator cut: see comment you fail to grasp that the OP was asking peoples OPINIONS, and that is what they got. There is no single right or wrong answer, they are just peoples opinions and you are NOT in a position to judge what criteria they used to come to their opinions. Most have NOT said they picked geographically, that is a conclusion you jumped to and are now beating like a dead horse. Most didn't say what they used to come up with their answers, you just assumed they HAD to have used geographical placement because their answers are not the same as your own.

Last edited by Bo; 09-20-2011 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: I explained these edits in the direct message I sent you.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:46 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
You're still here? Sorry, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough so I'll be more direct: Continue to post away if you will, but I stopped lending credence to any of your posts several pages back. My challenge is to the other four posters who selected CT: Perhaps one of you can offer a compelling case for your choice. To date, I've only had one poster repeatedly proffer the same foolish palaver, as if re-stating it several times somehow transforms its lack of substance.

For one of you four, I'll stay posted.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Culturally speaking, northeastern NJ, Long Island, Westchester NY and Western CT, with honorable mention to suburban Boston counties (Middlesex, Norfolk).

Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Culturally speaking, northeastern NJ, Long Island, Westchester NY and Western CT, with honorable mention to suburban Boston counties (Middlesex, Norfolk).
So maybe the best "most opposite" state would be NJ, just because of the dense population who rely on mass transit both in the northern and southern parts of the state.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:28 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is an interesting concept. Clearly we know that Mississippi (or Louisiana) is the state that probably best represents the Deep South. But which state would be the most representative of the "Deep North" in your opinion, and why? The one state that is the most opposite of the Deep South with regard to all aspects of life. I'm referring specifically to the Northeast states.
Vermont and New Hampshire...

Old 09-20-2011, 09:31 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
So maybe the best "most opposite" state would be NJ, just because of the dense population who rely on mass transit both in the northern and southern parts of the state.
That's about right, if you consider population density on both ends of the state to be over 2000 per sq mile around Camden county near Philly, as well as Bergen/Passaic/Hudson/Essex around NYC. The level of competition, intensity and aggression is easily recognizable when you are living the lifestyle there. Again, using cultural instead of geographical, this is about as 'deep north' as you are going to find.

With that said, I would issue the caveat to this that there are other NJ counties, namely Cape May, Salem, Cumberland, etc, that do NOT fit this bill explicitly. These counties would be more culturally aligned with Kent or Sussex (slower lower) counties Delaware.

If you consider an ENTIRE state, then NJ would be the de facto winner, but there are always exceptions, which is why evaluating this paradigm is probably more applicable on a city/county, or micro level, rather than on a macro level. For instance, suburban Atlanta or suburban New Orleans is probably more culturally 'northern' than many rural northern counties in New England. I've been to places like Coos County NH, or Essex County VT, that are not what anyone would think of as cosmopolitan, in any manner whatsoever.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
That's about right, if you consider population density on both ends of the state to be over 2000 per sq mile around Camden county near Philly, as well as Bergen/Passaic/Hudson/Essex around NYC. The level of competition, intensity and aggression is easily recognizable when you are living the lifestyle there. Again, using cultural instead of geographical, this is about as 'deep north' as you are going to find.

With that said, I would issue the caveat to this that there are other NJ counties, namely Cape May, Salem, Cumberland, etc, that do NOT fit this bill explicitly. These counties would be more culturally aligned with Kent or Sussex (slower lower) counties Delaware.

If you consider an ENTIRE state, then NJ would be the de facto winner, but there are always exceptions, which is why evaluating this paradigm is probably more applicable on a city/county, or micro level, rather than on a macro level. For instance, suburban Atlanta or suburban New Orleans is probably more culturally 'northern' than many rural northern counties in New England. I've been to places like Coos County NH, or Essex County VT, that are not what anyone would think of as cosmopolitan, in any manner whatsoever.
Well said, and some very good points made. Sounds a LOT better than a geography lesson.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
New Jersey and Connecticut are NOT "deep North" , period.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
This is an interesting concept. Clearly we know that Mississippi (or Louisiana) is the state that probably best represents the Deep South. But which state would be the most representative of the "Deep North" in your opinion, and why? The one state that is the most opposite of the Deep South with regard to all aspects of life. I'm referring specifically to the Northeast states.
Why wouldn't Maine be a logical choice? I voted Maine and I'm from Philadelphia. Maine is 98 percent white and epitomizes all of that New England pilgrim stuff in many of our minds. It's the "Deep North" in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.