Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 PM

444 posts, read 661,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Do not know if this has been posted about before, but I regularly drive across all states of the Southwest.
When I'm using my credit/debit cards, or buy certain things in say, Colorado or New Mexico, I feel all small talk is cool until they see my CA CDL.
I don't know if it's just me, but I feel just seeing the word CA on top of it makes me appear as some sort of demon.
After that, I attempt to lighten the dark mood by telling them that "Hey, I was brought there as a toddler, didn't have a choice."

Anyways, it's pretty obvious I don't have any state pride so it goes good either way.
But for the rest of you that do have strong feelings for what you consider your home-state, does that ackward feeling ever arise often enough when having to show your own ID?
Then shouldn't you move somewhere else? Nobody's stopping you.

I tend to give people the "Sucks to be you." glance when flashing my CA ID when out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,075,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
Then shouldn't you move somewhere else? Nobody's stopping you.

I tend to give people the "Sucks to be you." glance when flashing my CA ID when out of state.
No one's stopping me.
But I'd much rather wait until I've got the money, job, and finally a place before I finally stop talking about where I'm stuck at.
Not to mention the current truck-driving gig always has me returning back to CA as part of the job conditions, so I'm stuck until I find something that keeps me out of there permanently.

The last thing I need to do is become one of the countless bums that just upped and left without a plan.

Sunset Blvd is full of that failure, just as countless areas of the rest of the country are, but we'll leave that for another thread.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,960,000 times
I'm proud to show my ID out-of-state. Especially in airports in the security line. The people in front of me whip out ID's from places like Mississippi, Texas, Kansas, Ohio... And then I get up there and BAM. Colorado, man.

To the poster who mentioned the "sucks to be you" glance - I applaud.

Of course, this is all (half) joking.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:47 AM

163 posts, read 375,272 times
I don't know if "ashamed" is the right word, but I definitely have no state pride. I'm not a native, and don't consider myself a Nebraskan in any sense of the term. Around here, it's fine, but I feel obligated to qualify my apparent "Nebraska-ness" when out of state.

I had a really surreal experience once, actually. I was at a gas station in Southern Colorado, filling up, while wearing my Colorado Avalanche jersey. A car pulled up to the pump behind me, with Colorado tags, and a guy in a Nebraska Cornhuskers cap got out. He noticed my Nebraska tags and called out "Huskers, huh?" To which I slowly shook my head. I think we both wanted to switch places.

I also have a comment on New Mexico. When I worked at a gas station, I would card people regularly for beer or cigarettes. Usually, I'd remember a face after two or three visits, but sone people I just could not retain, in my mind, as old enough and would keep carding. One such guy was from New Mexico (based on his ID, at least.) His birthday was December 25th, and his name was Jesus. It made me smile everytime, but I probably carded that guy about 20 times. You would think such an interesting name and birthday would stick out, but no.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:56 AM

562 posts, read 983,409 times
There is only one thing I don't like pulling my ID out:

*pulls out ID: Illinois*

"Oh you are from Chicago?"

Old 09-22-2011, 08:12 AM

14,637 posts, read 14,509,626 times
Wow, ashamed to show a CA ID? As a Cali transplant, I'm always embarrassed to show my Ohio driver's license out of state.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM

16,505 posts, read 26,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
I also have a comment on New Mexico. When I worked at a gas station, I would card people regularly for beer or cigarettes. Usually, I'd remember a face after two or three visits, but sone people I just could not retain, in my mind, as old enough and would keep carding. One such guy was from New Mexico (based on his ID, at least.) His birthday was December 25th, and his name was Jesus. It made me smile everytime, but I probably carded that guy about 20 times. You would think such an interesting name and birthday would stick out, but no.
You know you just wanted to see his ID over and over and over again. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 AM

9,333 posts, read 20,677,770 times
I remember my cousin telling me a story when he moved from Alabama to Boston Massachusetts, he would make a point to take his car (with Alabama tags, only on the back license plate) and back it into the parking area, so no one would know what state he was coming from.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,075,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
There is only one thing I don't like pulling my ID out:

*pulls out ID: Illinois*

"Oh you are from Chicago?"

After telling people I was born in Illinois I get the same response.

This is about as ignorant as everyone assuming I lived by the beach or some horrible place like that after seeing my CA ID.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,548,468 times
my ID is Rhode Island...

when traveling. Bar in LA few months ago.

"Is that a state?" "you mean Long Island?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.