Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 10:47 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

Also Branson, MO

Old 07-05-2017, 11:16 AM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Chicago still calls itself the Second City even though it hasn't been for a very long time now. A lot of people from that area also seem to think they are much better than the rest of the Midwest.

Philadelphia has a lot of pride for a city that is doing so poorly. Pittsburgh doesn't realize that its declined significantly from its heyday and can't compare at all to cities like Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, and Nashville.
Charlotte and Nashville are about the size of Pittsburgh they are absolutely comparable. I'm really unsure if you are wildly underrating Houston and Dallas or wildly overrating Nashville and Charlotte.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:49 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Charlotte and Nashville

Old 07-05-2017, 06:27 PM

266 posts, read 334,133 times
Portland
Boise
SLC

Big fish, small pond syndrome. Just cause you matter in a small state doesn't mean youre setting many trends elsewhere.

Nice cities, but cut the ego.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:25 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Portland
Boise
SLC

Big fish, small pond syndrome. Just cause you matter in a small state doesn't mean youre setting many trends elsewhere.

Nice cities, but cut the ego.
Portland was way ahead of the rest of the country on thinks like breweries and other "millennial things." In fact I would argue that it has had way more cultural influence beyond what you would expect from a city of it's size.

Culturally Portland is currently more culturally significant than Charlotte, Orlando, or San Antonio and despite being smaller than all three outperforms them in GDP. Heck, Portland has it's own TV show, Portlandia. Portland is actually bigger than it's physical size.

I don't think I have ever met anyone from Boise that thought we were setting trends anywhere. A lot of Idahoans feel misunderstood because many people can't find the state on a map and think it is in the Midwest somewhere. Actually, outside of the immediate neighbors, I would say that about 50% of people I meet nationwide(Boston, DC, Florida, Atlanta, SF, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston etc.) don't know where Idaho is located and just think it is potato fields.

What a lot of folks from Boise will say is that to them it is the best place in the world to live, or that it is their favorite place, but I have never heard anyone claim that we are setting trends in other places.

SLC? It is a large metro with major sports teams, but I personally don't have any experience with locals thinking that they are Dallas or Boston or something.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 PM

232 posts, read 189,340 times
In a way I think it's a compliment to cities, especially mid-sized ones, with large aspirations to think bigger than they are. Those type of cities (the Nashvilles, Charlottes, Austins, etc) tend to envision themselves as cutting-edge, next-level, "can do" cities. Seems the visions they have of what they are and can be, tend to become self-fulfilling.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
In a way I think it's a compliment to cities, especially mid-sized ones, with large aspirations to think bigger than they are. Those type of cities (the Nashvilles, Charlottes, Austins, etc) tend to envision themselves as cutting-edge, next-level, "can do" cities. Seems the visions they have of what they are and can be, tend to become self-fulfilling.
Nashville I would argue might be justified in that, as their cultural influence is disproportionately large for a city its size.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:15 PM

232 posts, read 189,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Nashville I would argue might be justified in that, as their cultural influence is disproportionately large for a city its size.
I agree to an extent. Although "cultural influence" is subjective. Therefore, Nashville does not offer much to me from that perspective. I was thinking more in terms how those aforementioned cities seem to continually find new ways to diversify economically, break new growth barriers, and position themselves for entry into the next tier of cities. Twenty years ago who would've thunk it? I think they did and results are beginning to materialize.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy123 View Post
I agree to an extent. Although "cultural influence" is subjective. Therefore, Nashville does not offer much to me from that perspective. I was thinking more in terms how those aforementioned cities seem to continually find new ways to diversify economically, break new growth barrier, and position themselves for entry into the next tier of cities. Twenty years ago who would've thunk it? I think they did and results are beginning to materialize.
I would say Country Music is a pretty massive export, and even though its not measureable like soybeans or NIH funding is its undeniable that its cultural exports exceed the typical 2,000,000 metro. Its just a different level, in Music its more significant than Chicago or San Francisco.

Now obviously overall its not on Chicago's level, but since Nashville has a particular industry where it is top tier in the country (2nd to LA) believing its a "Major City" is a bit more justified IMO.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:08 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Reno

The Biggest Little City in the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.