Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:46 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs is exactly opposite of this post. This is a city of almost 3/4 of a million people and projects an atmosphere of being a stagecoach outpost. Our motto should be the reverse of Reno's, "The Littlest Big City in the World".

1. One freeway.
2. One underused airport with no international destinations.
3. A military hub with a service academy, but no national veteran's cemetery.
4. Minimal public transit.
5. Can't even hang on to our AAA baseball team (worst attendance in the league).

I could go on, but it's off topic and I love it here.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:03 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Thanks for proving my point. "Old South" cities having a bone to pick more recent boomtowns. Of course its true across the country.

Nashville believes it to be a bigger city than Birmingham and Richmond because it is, nearly 2x the size today, in 2017.
Proved what point How? Lol...the title of the thread is "cities who believe they are larger than they are", not "cities who think they are larger than Richmond or Birmingham and is that true or not?" Jahahahahaha...

Richmond City doesn't view itself as a competitor to any Southern city. Maybe it is, maybe it isnt, but Richmond turns it's nose up at no one (as in our governance, businesses, citizens, etc). Nobody is bothered by the booming growth of anybody...

Stay off my bumper if you're gonna be wrong or off-base, family!

Old 07-11-2017, 02:37 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
A case can made for weaker urbanity compared to Richmond and to a lesser extent Birmingham. Non Diverse nightlife? Bland Recreation? No Dense Neighborhoods? Sounds like you've never been to Nashville if you believe that, especially in comparison to Richmond and Birmingham.
I've already been through this before; Nashville's nightlife doesn't cater to multiple demographics, Doesn't really have a great grid or workout environments within the core, and no it doesn't have a dense neighborhood (I'm not just talking population).

And no, a case can't be made for weaker Urbanity; Richmond's housing stock is self-explanatory, and Birmingham's older neighborhoods used to be Industrialized Urban Centers, Pre-WW2, so I doubt it.

Quote:
I will say based on the tourist factor alone the city punches above it's weight in comparison to similar sized and some larger metros.
That's the tourist factor, if you say that for Nashville you might as well do the same for Savannah, Charleston, Orlando, and etc. No, it doesn't work like that.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:43 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
IMO, all cities in the SE and Midwest...

Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 PM

592 posts, read 591,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I've already been through this before; Nashville's nightlife doesn't cater to multiple demographics, Doesn't really have a great grid or workout environments within the core, and no it doesn't have a dense neighborhood (I'm not just talking population).

And no, a case can't be made for weaker Urbanity; Richmond's housing stock is self-explanatory, and Birmingham's older neighborhoods used to be Industrialized Urban Centers, Pre-WW2, so I doubt it.

That's the tourist factor, if you say that for Nashville you might as well do the same for Savannah, Charleston, Orlando, and etc. No, it doesn't work like that.
You actually just made the case for weaker urbanity. Richmond is definitely more urban in it's urban neighborhoods since it was larger for a longer period though I'd say the urban neighborhoods of Nashville and Birmingham are more comparable, as Nashville is older, though Birmingham grew larger early on.

Not sure where you're going with the comparison you drew for those other cities, as we're speaking specifically about Nashville Richmond and Birmingham.

Last edited by jkc2j; 07-11-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-11-2017, 03:26 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
You actually just made the case for weaker urbanity. Richmond is definitely more urban in it's urban neighborhoods since it was larger for a longer period though I'd say the urban neighborhoods of Nashville and Birmingham are more comparable, as Nashville is older, though Birmingham grew larger early on.
Mobile, Huntsville, Memphis, and etc. are older than Birmingham too, but Birmingham still has more examples of Urbanity. There's no areas like Downtown Ensley in Nashville, let alone Five Points or Highland Park. You said it yourself, Nashville is older, but Birmingham was one of the largest cities in the South and was an Industrial Hub Pre-WW2. In comparison, it's not even comparable one bit...

Quote:
Not sure where you're going with the comparison you drew for those other cities, as we're speaking specially about Nashville Richmond and Birmingham.
Because you brought up the Tourism factor as if it relates to Nashville, and other larger cities, but no, that's definitely not enough for Nashville to sit with the big boys.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:31 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Thanks for proving my point. "Old South" cities having a bone to pick more recent boomtowns. Of course its true across the country.

Nashville believes it to be a bigger city than Birmingham and Richmond because it is, nearly 2x the size today, in 2017.
I had to revisit this just to point out your erroneous second paragraph. While Nashville is obviously larger than both, it is less than 1/3rd (~31%) larger than Richmond, and less than 40% (38.5%) larger than Birmingham. GDP Nashville is about 34.5% larger than GDP Richmond. In neither of these scenarios is it even close to being "nearly 2x the size" of Richmond...

UA Nashville is only about 16,000 persons/1.6% larger than UA Richmond, and less than a quarter (~22.8%) larger than UA Birmingham. GDP Nashville is almost twice the size of GDP Birmingham (~43.4%), but it would be the only measure it comes out at "nearly 2x the size", and isn't close to being twice Richmond's size at all. Standing in the middle of Nashville's most thriving areas, compared to Richmond's, does not feel like you are in a city twice the size. Larger, yes, Nashville feels larger, but it definitely doesn't feel twice the size (basically a city with a 2.5-2.6 million metro, like Charlotte or Baltimore, two cities that feel and are considerably larger than Nashville; or a city with a $150B GDP, like Charlotte or St. Louis, another city considerably larger than Nashville)....

So thanks for proving my point. Casually stating Nashville is "nearly 2x the size" of two cities that it in fact isn't even near 50% the size of, proves Nashville's placement on a list of "cities who think they are larger than they actually are" to be correct...

Old 07-11-2017, 03:33 PM

592 posts, read 591,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Mobile, Huntsville, Memphis, and etc. are older than Birmingham too, but Birmingham still has more examples of Urbanity. There's no areas like Downtown Ensley in Nashville, let alone Five Points or Highland Park. You said it yourself, Nashville is older, but Birmingham was one of the largest cities in the South and was an Industrial Hub Pre-WW2. In comparison, it's not even comparable one bit...

Because you brought up the Tourism factor as if it relates to Nashville, and other larger cities, but no, that's definitely not enough for Nashville to sit with the big boys.
Dude, I've been to Birmingham many times and while downtown and five points are nice, it's not anything that's leagues above other similar sized southern cities. East Nashville, Midtown and Germantown are just as urban as many neighborhoods you'll find around the center of Birmingham and while the city has some gems, it doesn't blow what you'll find in Nashville out of the water, save the City Federal building. Like I mentioned, sounds like you've never been here and if so, didn't get around much.

I simply brought up tourism because you made statements about Nashville's nightlife and recreation in comparison to Richmond and Birmingham as if it's lacking in comparison and no it's not just tourism, which certainly helps put nightlife in Nashville's favor.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:56 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Colorado Springs is exactly opposite of this post. This is a city of almost 3/4 of a million people and projects an atmosphere of being a stagecoach outpost. Our motto should be the reverse of Reno's, "The Littlest Big City in the World".

1. One freeway.
2. One underused airport with no international destinations.
3. A military hub with a service academy, but no national veteran's cemetery.
4. Minimal public transit.
5. Can't even hang on to our AAA baseball team (worst attendance in the league).

I could go on, but it's off topic and I love it here.
My God, this could be written about Tucson as well, almost exactly.

Tucson is about 900,000 metro, about 550,000 in the city, is sprawled out over a huge area, yet probably 20% of the locals want it to be a city at all.

My mom lives in Oro Valley, a nice suburb that touches Tucson, and to mail something to someone in Tucson proper, it has to go through Phoenix's post office first.

Insane.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I had to revisit this just to point out your erroneous second paragraph. While Nashville is obviously larger than both, it is less than 1/3rd (~31%) larger than Richmond, and less than 40% (38.5%) larger than Birmingham. GDP Nashville is about 34.5% larger than GDP Richmond. In neither of these scenarios is it even close to being "nearly 2x the size" of Richmond...

UA Nashville is only about 16,000 persons/1.6% larger than UA Richmond, and less than a quarter (~22.8%) larger than UA Birmingham. GDP Nashville is almost twice the size of GDP Birmingham (~43.4%), but it would be the only measure it comes out at "nearly 2x the size", and isn't close to being twice Richmond's size at all. Standing in the middle of Nashville's most thriving areas, compared to Richmond's, does not feel like you are in a city twice the size. Larger, yes, Nashville feels larger, but it definitely doesn't feel twice the size (basically a city with a 2.5-2.6 million metro, like Charlotte or Baltimore, two cities that feel and are considerably larger than Nashville; or a city with a $150B GDP, like Charlotte or St. Louis, another city considerably larger than Nashville)....

So thanks for proving my point. Casually stating Nashville is "nearly 2x the size" of two cities that it in fact isn't even near 50% the size of, proves Nashville's placement on a list of "cities who think they are larger than they actually are" to be correct...
According to 2016 estimates
Nashville: 1,865,000
Birmingham: 1,147,000
Today, over a year later, Nashville has likely gained an additional 25,000 or so on Birmingham
Now it is my bad I rounded down Birmingham to 1M and Nashville up to 2M and that makes a difference, but being larger by 720,000 when Birmingham has 1.15M is massively significant. Boise ID has a proportional size gap with Birmingham that Birmingham has with Nashville.
It may not be twice, but it is significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.