U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,225,080 times

Advertisements

What about those of us who aren't from somewhere else, appreciate the Raleigh-Durham area, but just know this can't be it. Anywhere else nearly as nice?

So I'm a 28 year old guy who enjoys meeting new people, going places, and doing things. I was basically born and raised in the Raleigh area, and since the mid-90's have heard how great it is to live here, number 1 city for this, and number 1 city for that. And I can't deny it is a very well rounded place. But before I choose to get married and settle down, I and several of my friends have all being feeling the need to experience life some where else,(Quarter life crisis?) and many whom have not married have moved or are getting ready to move away. Is anyone else in a similar situation? I bought a townhome here 5 years ago in North Raleigh and have a decent job, . I have lots of work expirience and a college degree so finding a job hopefully won't be to problematic and with my current employer I may have a chance to transfer. I have recently rented my home out and am staying with family for the time being.

I've traveled fairly extensively and I do know that I want to be somewhere in the southern half of the country as I do not like the cold although I do like to see the snow occasional, so lets take the northeast and midwest out of the equation. Also I appreciate the beach and mountains. Has anyone lived anywhere where the people are nice, decently diverse as individuals are here, fairly educated and the quality of life is comfortable yet fun? Open to all suggestions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 PM

5 posts, read 18,465 times
San Diego is really nice, if you can afford it. Beach is within minutes, mountains are an hour or so - you can surf and ski in the same day I lived there for 25 years, let me know if you want more info...ironically, I'm thinking of moving to Raleigh!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,849,649 times
How about Washington dc?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:57 PM

3,406 posts, read 8,998,740 times
My brother and sister-in-law just returned from a possible relocation scouting trip to Spokane, WA, and really liked it.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,846,892 times
Hardly perfect, I have a niece who lives in Cary and loathes the area immensely.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 18,465 times
Helpful post, Brent...

Old 09-23-2011, 10:12 AM

11,546 posts, read 17,908,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Hardly perfect, I have a niece who lives in Cary and loathes the area immensely.
I like Raleigh but don't care for Cary. They are two different cities who attract different types of people with different priorities. It's obvious to me that you are clearly proud of where you live since you have narrowed it down precisely to Virginia-Highland. If someone compared it to, say…Lawrenceville, how would you respond?
I may have said this previously to you but tell your niece to move from Cary to one of the other cities if she is to remain in the Triangle. I am guessing your niece is single? If so, no wonder she loathes it immensely. Believe it or not but there are places in Raleigh and Durham that are more similar to where you live than to Cary.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,209,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
I've traveled fairly extensively and I do know that I want to be somewhere in the southern half of the country as I do not like the cold although I do like to see the snow occasional, so lets take the northeast and midwest out of the equation. Also I appreciate the beach and mountains. Has anyone lived anywhere where the people are nice, decently diverse as individuals are here, fairly educated and the quality of life is comfortable yet fun? Open to all suggestions. Thanks
With your geography criteria you pretty much eliminated everywhere but California.

The only place on the East Coast where the mountains meet the sea is Maine.

Southeastern CT actually has a mid-atlantic climate FYI, with less than 25 inches of snow per year on average and high temps in the low 40's. Probably still too cold for you, but not the frozen tundra people seem to perceive.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:12 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,846,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I like Raleigh but don't care for Cary. They are two different cities who attract different types of people with different priorities. It's obvious to me that you are clearly proud of where you live since you have narrowed it down precisely to Virginia-Highland. If someone compared it to, say…Lawrenceville, how would you respond?
I may have said this previously to you but tell your niece to move from Cary to one of the other cities if she is to remain in the Triangle. I am guessing your niece is single? If so, no wonder she loathes it immensely. Believe it or not but there are places in Raleigh and Durham that are more similar to where you live than to Cary.

No, she has been married for 15 years, and wants desperately to move back to her home town-Atlanta. But her husband wants to stay in a smaller city, and hid family is there.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,225,080 times
Thanks for all of the tips everyone. What's funny Bear1776 is that I have friends in Temecula and Corona, California which is what a hour north east of San Diego and upon my visits I really like the area, and I'm seriously thinking of trying to make that move out there. Likewise DM me if you need info on Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or