Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First States that should be Redrawn
Ohio/Kentucky/Pennsylvania 4 4.04%
New England States 11 11.11%
Texas 11 11.11%
California 50 50.51%
Other 23 23.23%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:35 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,986,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
California needs to be split into 2 or even 3 states--Southern California would be split off to the south of the northern borders of San Luis Obispo, Kern, and San Bernadino Counties. After that Northern California could be one state or split into smaller city-states like People's Republic of San Francisco/Berkeley and the Silicon Valley Trade Federation, along with the Central Valley which will be renamed Newer Mexico, and the the Northern Coast counties which will be the Emerald Triangle(after which they can finally legalize weed). The northernmost counties can finally enact the long-desired merge with Southern Oregon as the State of Jefferson, after which no one will ever pay any attention to them ever again.
The northern third of California is utterly different from the urban regions of the state... the largest city north of Sacramento is Redding (population about 90,000). It would be fun to see it as a state all its own... it could christen itself Jefferson, or maybe South Oregon! It would do okay economically, with tourism, rice, fruit, almonds and pot, plus water exports to its southern neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 01:16 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizurko View Post
I just want Georgia's northern border to have that 1 mile northward that was supposed to be ours, that would help with the droughts significantly with nickajack and other bodies of water (hell, just give us Chattanooga it's more like GA anyways).
Uh no. Y’all don’t get to steal Tennessee river water to feed overgrown Atlanta. You can’t have Chattanooga, people there are happy being part of Tennessee. Why not make North georgia part of Tennessee since it’s more like the rest of East Tennessee? Mountains and mountain culture prevail in much of north Georgia, sounds like it should be ours lol.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,265,430 times
Texas

West of the Pecos would given to New Mexico. It would look funny on the map...
but people would get used to it

El Paso feels more New Mexican then Texan.

Also California should be split into 2 seperate states....north and south

Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashford View Post
cut virginia in half...too long a state to drive through. making it two would mentally fool my brain into thinking its not a bad drive! add a third lane too!
Cumberland Gap, at the southwest tip of VA, is actually closer in miles, to the capital cities of KY, NC, SC, TN, OH, WV, than it is to ITS OWN capital city. Richmond.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
I think a lot of states are equally probable in this scenario. However, NY would definitely be one of the most excited to jump at the opportunity.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
I would slice Illinois in half under .... other in the poll. A Northern half and Southern half.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:17 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,072 times
I don't care much about geographic size but it would be nice if states were more uniform in size. Maybe each state being between 6M and 9M.

I know that would mean that there would be city States like NY and really huge stress as the plain and mountain states would have to be combined, but I think it would be more fair and representative. A state like Montana or Vermont shouldn't have the same number of senators( clout) as California or Texas.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:27 AM

622 posts, read 948,403 times
I still don't understand how NYC/LI was put together with the rest of the NYS. When people think of New York, they usually think of NYC/LI, despite being sandwiched between NJ and CT. NYC/LI might as well be the 51st state.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:48 AM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
4. West Virginia will have to fight for its sovereignty. If it can beat the armies of Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Kentucky, it can remain a state. Otherwise, to the victors go the spoils. These states should probably start well regulating their militias pretty soon, just to be ready in time.
it.
LMAO! Hatfield's and McCoy's 2.0.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:15 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,111,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Cumberland Gap, at the southwest tip of VA, is actually closer in miles, to the capital cities of KY, NC, SC, TN, OH, WV, than it is to ITS OWN capital city. Richmond.

Yes, the SW portion of the state really doesn't fit with the rest of the state. If I were redrawing maps, I'd reassign that section to KY and WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.