Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:56 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yes, like Arkansas, many Okies root for the Cardinals....HotLanta is just too far away. The Rangers would be 2nd in pro baseball for Okies.

For basketball, we have the OK City Thunder, of course, and it looks like we'll have 'em for a long time.

For pro football, Okies are definitely Dallas Cowboys fans. However, the Dallas Cowboys take a major backseat to the most premier college football program in history = the Oklahoma Sooners. Who needs pro football when you got the Crimson&Cream?!
In Oklahoma City its definitely the Dallas Cowboys in football, altough I've come across a lot of Chiefs fans as well.

Most of the people I know are Texas Rangers fans. I just always assumed it was because: a) it was the closest and b) our minor league team here is part of the Rangers organization.

Of course we do have our own basketball team, the Thunder, which everyone supports wildly, but ther is also a second team that many people here support as well. The New Orleans Hornets, because they were here for a couple of years after Katrina and still seem to have a place in most folks hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 11:51 PM

109 posts, read 207,643 times
Well, in North Carolina at least, following college sports (ACC, especially in March) is far more important than professional teams. Despite the fact that we have pro-teams (Panthers, Hurricanes), they do not have very loyal fanbases from what I've seen. No one seemed to care when we lost the Hornets.

Previous posters have stated the Braves have a good following in the south, this is more than likely true in part due to their games being on TBS for so long.

We also have NASCAR (insert your own opinion here).

I think you will find that alot of areas in the south with no pro-teams (or with lousy pro-teams) care more about SEC Football and ACC Basketball.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
In some cases, there is a sub-major level team affiliated with the majors. Mississippi has an AAA baseball team affiliated with the Bluejays. I've know two people from Mississippi who were big Jays fans for that reason. As for me, I really can't fathom living somewhere that doesn't have a major league baseball team. It's just a fundamental requirement.
The Toronto Blue Jays have never had a Triple-A team in Mississippi. Their current AAA club is in Las Vegas, before that their AAA team was in Syracuse for 30 years.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
North Carolina is a big Braves market. They have about 16 radio affiliates for the team here and their games are shown on FS Carolinas frequently. Back when the Braves were constantly winning their division and ultimately won the World Series in 1995 you would see shirts commerating those accomplishments at Target, Wal-Mart, Dicks, etc. RDU seems to be split between Orioles and Braves fans, Brian Roberts is from Durham. For some reason as of late we've been getting Reds games, which is interesting to me. And then of course there are those who root for the Red Sox, Yankees, etc. I don't know of many Nationals fans here.

Before the Panthers came, most people rooted for the Redskins although the Cowboys had a following here too. Every Sunday before a Redskins home game their would be caravans of Buses that would leave from Raleigh to DC, in fact they may still do this. I know Raleigh has a Radio station that is an affiliate w/ the Skins. When the Skins won their last Super Bowl in 1992, I remember the local Radio and TV stations talking about it for days. I honestly don't remember the Falcons ever having a following here.

I seem to remember the Washington Capitals having a following here before the Canes came in 1997 for those that followed Hockey.

When I was in New Mexico a few years ago for a mission trip, I was told by one of the locals that most people there root for the Cowboys than any other major league team.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 16,589 times
In Eastern Nebraska (Especially Southeast Nebraska which includes Omaha and Lincoln) Most people Generally root for the Chiefs and Royals. Kansas City is only 2 1/2 hours away from both Omaha and Lincoln and the local news stations usually highlight the Chiefs and Royals. (after they dedicate 95% of their sports news coverage to the Cornhuskers of course) Every Chiefs game is broadcast when they play on CBS and Royals games are broadcast on FSN. In Northeast Nebraska its still Generally Chiefs and Royals but also alot of Vikings and Twins and theyll usually show the Vikes when they play on FOX. The farther West you go into Nebraska the more you'll find Denver teams fans. Having said all that, Nebraska is by far dominated by the Cornhuskers and most Nebraskans will give you the usual "I dont care for pro sports" type comments typical of states without pro teams. I've even heard some Nebraskans say things like "The Huskers ARE our pro team". The Funny thing is though, is alot of die-hard Husker football fans will root for Kansas basketball instead of Husker bball. I imagine this will be the case even more so starting next year when Kansas and Nebraska will no longer be conference rivals.

Anyway to sum Nebraska up:

NFL- Chiefs,Broncos,Vikings,Packers,Bears,Cowboys and Steelers. In that order.
MLB- Royals,Rockies,Twins,Cubs and Cardinals. In that order.
NBA- Bulls,Lakers,Nuggets,Celtics and Timberwolves. In NO particular order.
NHL- Avalanche,Blues,Wild and Blackhawks. In NO particular order.

BTW I am not a Nebraskan (Texan born and raised) but I've lived in Norfolk (Northeast Nebraska) and Omaha and Lincoln both for various periods of time in the last 8 years and growing up I visited Nebraska alot since thats where my mom and her side of the family is from.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
An interesting project has been done on this subject. CommonCensus Sports Map Project

I grew up in sportsless Virginia. Most people there were Washington DC-area fans. Washington Redskins and Baltimore Orioles were the big favorites when I was growing up, but it would be interesting to see now if the Washington Nationals are becoming more popular than the O's in VA.
Interesting map. It seems the Jets seem to have more a a fan base in NYS and the Giants have more of a fan base in NJ. They should just give the Giants to Jersey, most NYers shouldn't mind.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:00 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Hmm I think
NBA is Magic unless we didn't make the playoffs and in which case it reverts by default to the Heat (assuming they made the playoffs).

As for NFL in my experience Orlando people generally cheer for wherever their parents originally came from - I know a lot of Packers and Steelers fans. I really don't meet many people in Orlando that cheer for any Florida NFL team, I mean they will but if its Tampa -vs- Pittsburgh for example they'll go Pittsburgh, that sorta thing.

I have no idea on NHL or MLB.

Speaking of NATIVES (Not People That Relocated) People I know in Orlando ususally cheer for the Magic or the Heat. Especially now since they have LeBron. Relocaters ussually the Celtics or Lakers

NFL again from natives I knw usually Tampa or Jacksonville or Miami
NHL Ummm not that common here but I have known a few people to go to a Lightning game in Tampa
MLB Rays or the Marlins. Relocaters I see mostly Yankees and Phillies

Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
The map is interesting. My DH is from Omaha, NE. Now granted his preferences are his and his alone, but for football, he really doesn't care for any NFL team; he's way into the Huskers. For baseball, I think before we moved here (metro Denver), he liked the Kansas City Royals, and Omaha's Triple A team is, or at least was, a farm team for the Royals. The map indicates same. I don't think he cares for any NBA team, and for hockey I don't think he had a favorite team until the Avs came here.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:30 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,631 times
Minnesota Vikings:
Iowa
North Dakota
South Dakota
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Manitoba
Ontario

Minnesota Twins:
Iowa
North Dakota
South Dakota
Wisconsin

Minnestoa Wild
North Dakota
South Dakota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Ontario

Minnesota Timberwolves
North Dakota
South Dakota

Last edited by BlackOut; 01-12-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
I've seen a lot of people in Iowa that are Cubs fans Not sure about NFL though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.