Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

bek america culture has been here 500 years. it exists its real and the rest of the world is clear on that. everybody here however thinks they are french german or zulu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 10:51 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I answered you, I said the people who call their ethnicity “American” come from broadly different European cultures. These ethnic “Americans” ) don’t care about Native American cultures yes that broadly, they don’t care about Cherokee culture, Creek culture and etc. Why does this goes along racial lines because the people calling their ethnicity “American” are white southerners. Who often have right wing political views to what an American is they view themselves as neutral and think they’re the essence of what American culture should be. While telling other Americans from diverse background how to be American and what‘s un-American. They have no room to talk.
yea, you answered me, in the sense that you wrote a response. but you havent really addressed what i have to say. instead you bring in things about native americans, and people talking about being unamerican, and right wing politics, and a whole bunch of other irrelevant things.

what does them caring about native american cultures have to do with them having a shared cultural background with other americans? as to why white americans in the south have shared cultural background, anyone with knowledge of american history and how things went back then should know that.

point is, white southerners have a shared cultural background (cuisine, dialect, religious traditions, mannerisms) which are not fiund in europe. some of those traditions have roots there, but they are no longer one in the same by any means. you will not find black eyed peas and cheese grits in england, nor will you find southern baptists or southern accents.

obviously there are some similarities that all western cultures share, but italy and england have different ethnic/cultural heritages, as does the southern US.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:02 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
bek america culture has been here 500 years. it exists its real and the rest of the world is clear on that. everybody here however thinks they are french german or zulu.
This is a straw man to what I just said, there nationality is American there ethnicity is not "it exist its real and the rest of the world is clear on that" they reflect and care more about western culture than Native American culture 500 years later. Everybody here however thinks spun off visions of Irish square dancing give them the right to ignore, lower the native culture and remake it in there ancestral image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
yea, you answered me, in the sense that you wrote a response. but you havent really addressed what i have to say. instead you bring in things about native americans, and people talking about being unamerican, and right wing politics, and a whole bunch of other irrelevant things.
I’m addressing you, your calling everything irrelative. For them to call there ethnicity not just nationality but ethnicity broadly “American” they have to think there replacing the Native Americans or have replace the Native Americans and view themselves as neutrally American. It’s an, inconsiderate, ethnocentric, Manifest Destiny like world view.

Quote:
what does them caring about native american cultures have to do with them having a shared cultural background with other americans? as to why white americans in the south have shared cultural background, anyone with knowledge of american history and how things went back then should know that.
1. They see themselves as some neutral Americans 2. They know and care only about there history 3. their dictating to other Americans about how to be American.

Quote:
point is, white southerners have a shared cultural background (cuisine, dialect, religious traditions, mannerisms) which are not fiund in europe. some of those traditions have roots there, but they are no longer one in the same by any means. you will not find black eyed peas and cheese grits in england, nor will you find southern baptists or southern accents.

obviously there are some similarities that all western cultures share, but italy and england have different ethnic/cultural heritages, as does the southern US.
Your throwing the kitchen sink now if there culture was that drastic of a difference it wouldn’t be consider western culture. The fact Alone that this group is note to be particularly white southerners and not a diverse group is already a red flag. but then if you look at the region and the demographics they're right wing conservatives it all comes to together.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I’m addressing you, your calling everything irrelative. For them to call there ethnicity not just nationality but ethnicity broadly “American” they have to think there replacing the Native Americans or have replace the Native Americans and view themselves as neutrally American. It’s an, inconsiderate, ethnocentric, Manifest Destiny like world view.

1. They see themselves as some neutral Americans 2. They know and care only about there history 3. their dictating to other Americans about how to be American.
no, im calling irrelevant things irrelevant. your argument of why they are not an ethnic group is that you think they are ethnocentric, conservatives. those are things you dislike about them. I could argue with you about why them referring to their ethnicity as american is accurate, but ive already told you why so many times.

hell, i'll do it again. "white southerners have a shared cultural background (cuisine, dialect, religious traditions, mannerisms)" that is what makes them an ethnic group. perhaps you dont like them, but they are still a cultural/ethnic group.

because this groups shares their cultural ties to america, they write american on the census. kind of like how those that descend from slaves write african american, to separate the fact they the have ethnic/cultural ties to the united states not found in africa. As to why the white southerners get to mark "american" as opposed to "white american" while others must mark african american, well that i could see as faulty. but thats not the issue with you, you refus to acknowledge that any culture involving so called "westerners" differs at all.

Quote:
Your throwing the kitchen sink now if there culture was that drastic of a difference it wouldn’t be consider western culture. The fact Alone that this group is note to be particularly white southerners and not a diverse group is already a red flag. but then if you look at the region and the demographics they're right wing conservatives it all comes to together.
no, you are simply wrong. why is it that you refuse to acknowledge cultural differences between italy and the netherlands? western culture is not some big homogeneus blob. and once again, what does them being conservatives have to do with having a shared cultural/ethnic heritage? are conservatives not allowed to have this? seriously, how is that relavant at all?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
no, im calling irrelevant things irrelevant. your argument of why they are not an ethnic group is that you think they are ethnocentric, conservatives. those are things you dislike about them. I could argue with you about why them referring to their ethnicity as american is accurate, but ive already told you why so many times.

hell, i'll do it again. "white southerners have a shared cultural background (cuisine, dialect, religious traditions, mannerisms)" that is what makes them an ethnic group. perhaps you dont like them, but they are still a cultural/ethnic group.
Then hell I say it again there ethnicity is white American not broadly "American", there not the central essence of what a American is, they don’t have a neutral American culture, their culture is a spin off there European heritage, and they don’t care about the native culture only the point in which there ancestors came. The ethnocentricity come into play the fact “they're not considerate of other ethnic groups in America, Asian American, Arab American, African American even Native Americans” base on their heritage “white southerners” they deem themselves neutrally American.

Quote:
because this groups shares their cultural ties to america, they write american on the census. kind of like how those that descend from slaves write african american, to separate the fact they the have ethnic/cultural ties to the united states not found in africa. As to why the white southerners get to mark "american" as opposed to "white american" while others must mark african american, well that i could see as faulty. but thats not the issue with you, you refus to acknowledge that any culture involving so called "westerners" differs at all.
Look at the contradiction in your post. African American, Asian American culture and etc then suddenly these white southern decide they’re neutrally American, and tell other Americans how to be American. I never said western culture is monolithic but the difference between white southerners and western Europe is the difference between blue grass from Irish and Scottish folk music. Chinese folk music the difference is it’s totally away from western culture has nothing to do with western culture has no ties to western culture. What your trying to do is relate to non western cultures to the way you related to western culture own inner cultural diversity. If there culture was that drastic of a difference it wouldn’t be consider western culture. It's a contradiction to say don’t have ties to Europe but then turn around and agree that their culture is a part of western culture. But these right wing conservatives “they are right wing conservatives” would be the first people to see others Americans as un American.

Quote:
no, you are simply wrong. why is it that you refuse to acknowledge cultural differences between italy and the netherlands? western culture is not some big homogeneus blob. and once again, what does them being conservatives have to do with having a shared cultural/ethnic heritage? are conservatives not allowed to have this? seriously, how is that relavant at all?
Again no, "the people who are calling their ethnicity "American" are people of european descent from board backgrounds as western culture."

"The fact Alone that this group is note to be particularly white southerners and not a diverse group is already a red flag" oh let me rephrase that, a broad group of white southerners from a diverse European background woooow. What such diversity on the global and human scale let alone just America. ) "but then if you look at the region and the demographics they are right wing conservatives it all comes to together." This isn’t center-right conservatism, it's right wing conservatism, how is this relevant it’s a right wing traditionalist American view.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:11 PM

what on earth is this? why are you talking about conservatism? every time make a simple argument you bring in all of this type of nonsense.

let me break this down in a few simple points, all of which have been stated before, but lets do it again.

definition of ethnic group: "sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like"

-white southerners are a group of people who share a common culture, distinct from others.

if you refuse to acknowledge that they have a unique culture, there is no point in continuing this. rambling on about conservatism and other irrelevant topics is pointless.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:07 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
chiatldal
I think you are reading way too much into this. Have you looked at the original link this question was posed on? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-by-County.jpg
In the 2000 census people were given the choice of African American, American Indian, American, a whole list of European ancestries to choose from and "Other".

What peoples would you think were qualified to put American as their ancestry, especially as Native American has its own category on that census?

For those of us with mongrelized ancestry that happens to include black, native american, and a huge mixture of european ancestry which one would you suggest we choose, as none of the choices are completely accurate? A lot of people choose to put their ancestry as American as a matter of simplicity, it has nothing to do with usurping Native Americans, or telling "other Americans how to be American"

Old 04-18-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
chiatldal
I think you are reading way too much into this. Have you looked at the original link this question was posed on? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-by-County.jpg
In the 2000 census people were given the choice of African American, American Indian, American, a whole list of European ancestries to choose from and "Other".

What peoples would you think were qualified to put American as their ancestry, especially as Native American has its own category on that census?

For those of us with mongrelized ancestry that happens to include black, native american, and a huge mixture of european ancestry which one would you suggest we choose, as none of the choices are completely accurate? A lot of people choose to put their ancestry as American as a matter of simplicity, it has nothing to do with usurping Native Americans, or telling "other Americans how to be American"
Usually people go by there largest ancestry, when they say there part of blank ethnicity that doesn’t mean there exclusively that but however multi racial, bi racial should be an options That how brazil and etc works. This group is noted to be particularly white southerners. It doesn’t matter if they come from diverse European background all of which is consider white european anyway. the “American” ethnicity still comes off inaccurate. No matter how you spin it.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Usually people go by there largest ancestry, when they say there part of blank ethnicity that doesn’t mean there exclusively that but however multi racial, bi racial should be an options That how brazil and etc works. This group is noted to be particularly white southerners. It doesn’t matter if they come from diverse European background all of which is consider white european anyway. the “American” ethnicity still comes off inaccurate. No matter how you spin it.
do you know the difference between race and ethnicity?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
do you know the difference between race and ethnicity?
Have you ever heard of the the race question? race is abstract of the UN dosen't define race they view it as broad term for ethnicity. Anyway African American is broad Native American is broad and those are choices that my point. The people who are marking their ethnicity as "American" are particularly southern whites. Logically of broad European Ancestry as broad as African American which is a choice.

Quote:
what on earth is this? why are you talking about conservatism? every time make a simple argument you bring in all of this type of nonsense.

let me break this down in a few simple points, all of which have been stated before, but lets do it again.

definition of ethnic group: "sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like"

-white southerners are a group of people who share a common culture, distinct from others.

if you refuse to acknowledge that they have a unique culture, there is no point in continuing this. rambling on about conservatism and other irrelevant topics is pointless.
Quote "Then hell I say it again there ethnicity is white American not broadly "American", there not the central essence of what a American is, they don’t have a neutral American culture, their culture is a spin off there European heritage, and they don’t care about the native culture only the point in which there ancestors came. The ethnocentricity come into play the fact “they're not considerate of other ethnic groups in America, Asian American, Arab American, African American even Native Americans” base on their heritage “white southerners” they deem themselves neutrally American. " instead of European American or white southerns.

Last edited by chiatldal; 04-18-2010 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.